would you drink swamp or bayou water with this?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • richiespng

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Picayune, MS
    I have. It works. For the really little nasties though (virus) I would put a few drops of iodine in the water first then drink. I've used this bottle and the Katadyn Mybottle and they both worked really well.

ShareTheToys

Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    May 11, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Honestly when it comes to these devices there is no wiggle room. For water filtration my primary unit is a MSR Miniworks EX, but even it will not catch viruses. For viruses I carry a MSR MIOX pen. Cryptosporidium and giardia are pretty nasty and I've never been able to trust those water bottle filters with my drinking water.

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    Has anybody else ever sat and pondered on how we are the only mammals on the planet that can't just bend down and drink the water out of the bayou or pond when we get thirsty?

richiespng

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Picayune, MS
    iodine is better than water purification tablets?

If you have those, even better.

I would not rely on those for a primary water filtration system in a bad situation. Like ShareTheToys says, they are pretty much an "oh crap" option. I have used them on some pretty nasty water just to test them out. Took water from a ditch and added some chlorine to kill the viruses and the water came out tasting pretty much like bottled water. I've drank from a bayou the same way. Never drank swamp water. Of the times that I have drank "questionable" water using them, I never got sick. I have since switched over to the Katadyn Mybottle because it offers virus protection in the filter as well and is about the same size as the Berkey and comes with a straw that you can use if you have access to potable water (so you are not using your filter). They sell those at Acadamy for about the same price. I think mine was $25.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    IIRC water purification tables are iodine based. I usually use potable aqua plus. They come with a second table (actually vitamin c) to get rid of the iodine taste. It pretty much works. I usually added drink mix or tea to it after anyway.

I have drunk water from pitch black nasty swamps on many occasions. treat and filter...

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Has anybody else ever sat and pondered on how we are the only mammals on the planet that can't just bend down and drink the water out of the bayou or pond when we get thirsty?

You can. . . it's just infinitely more risky than bottled water and a lot more risky than water from the tap.

Any flowing water is probably safe, but any still water is a pretty bad idea.

Most other mammals don't live nearly as long as we do, and we live much longer than we used to.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge

I think we lost that ability thousands of years ago. Mabey with gradual exposure over time you could again, but would you really want to?

I bet you could get that ability back in pretty short order, if you didn't die first. Think about places like Mexico, where people say "don't drink the water", yet all the locals drink the water.

On the other hand, I don't know from a scientific or medical perspective which of these bad guys can kill you, and which would make you sick, but that you could develop a tolerance or resistance to over time.

Lastly, I am not advocating or suggesting that anyone do this, and I assume no liability if you choose to do so.

JetMech

Displaced Yankee
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Shreveport
    I was told the reason dogs can get away with eating and drinking things that would sicken humans is because their GI track works twice as fast as ours. They pass the bugs before they can cause harm.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    but from a safety standpoint, I was always under the impression that you could filter the water through a shirt or such to get the grit out, boil for 20 min and drink it without fear of microrganisms. is this correct?

This is correct. I have filtered water through coffee filters and boiled it to make it safe to drink. But there is still a funky taste to it and an "off" color to it. Still perfectly safe to drink but not "ideal" by MY standards. LOL

Top Bottom