Would you pay $150 for a really ugly Remington 1100?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    I have an old 1100 (30 inch barrel) that I have considered cutting down similar to OP, but I have read mixed reviews online about going shorter than 21" on the gas operated 1100. Let us know when you can how well it works with the 19" barrel. Also, was this a 2 3/4 or 3" chamber? I've read the gas ports are smaller on the 3" guns increasing the problems with shorter barrels.

It had a 28", 2-3/4" barrel. When I first cut the barrel, it would not completely eject Estate #8 rounds, but it still cycled Estate #4 rounds without issue. That failure to eject the #8's was only because the outside of the mag tube was extremely dirty. After I disassembled and cleaned the action it has chewed through two boxes of #8 without a single hiccup, both slow and very rapid fire. I have full confidence in its functionality now. I believe it is only the 3" chambers that have the issue you describe, or people who don't realize how dirty their action is.

Last edited:

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It had a 28", 2-3/4" barrel. When I first cut the barrel, it would not completely eject Estate #8 rounds, but it still cycled Estate #4 rounds without issue. That failure to eject the #8's was only because the outside of the mag tube was extremely dirty. After I disassembled and cleaned the action it has chewed through two boxes of #8 without a single hiccup, both slow and very rapid fire. I have full confidence in its functionality now. I believe it is only the 3" chambers that have the issue you describe, or people who don't realize how dirty their action is.

Thank you for the info. I have a 3" chamber and will probably look for a 2 3/4 barrel instead of cutting mine down.

copterdrvr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    The Remington 1100 gas system is pretty simple but not as flexible as newer designs.

The 1100 bleeds off the gas generated during firing and the gas acts on the rings under the barrel hood to push the bolt rearward. The 3 inch barrel only has one gas port and the 2 3/4 inch barrels use 2 ports. The difficulty in getting the 1100 to cycle reliably with short barrels is due to the fact that the pressure in the barrel returns to zero when the shot leaves the barrel and when the barrel gets too short, the wad has left the barrel before the gas bled off through the ports has had the opportunity to cycle the action.

Don't cut down a 3 inch barrel-reliable functioning is not there.....and generally speaking, 1100 barrels won't function reliably without modifying the gas ports when barrel length gets below 23 inches. Because of the increased pressure, magnum loads will generally still function in shorter barrels but field loads will not.

I have some Remington 1100 vent rib 12 ga barrels for sale in either 20 or 22 inch length with vent ribs and sights. The ports have been modified to insure reliable functioning with 1 1/8 ounce field loads. The forcing cones have been cut and extended and the entire chamber, forcing cone and barrel have been honed to a high finish. The barrels are of course cylinder choke as the barrels have all been shortened from standard length barrels.

pic1_zpsyp9k0qjb.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

DSCF2465_zpsmyyjksbm.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

DSCF2468_zpsrbbzrloa.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
    Top Bottom