You are kidding - these guns can't shot - or can they?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    268   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Hey it is a 609 PRO... That means that taurus must have meant it for the PROduction class.

Here are some of my thoughts on Taurus and other "lower priced" guns in general.

These guns seem to fill a market area where people are looking for a lower cost option to the "big name" guns. These people are likely not "gun people", or "firearms experts". They just want a gun at the price point that these guns sell for. They will likely shoot a few boxes a year of ammo thru the gun (or less) and with that kind of use these guns will likely last a long time.

Most of the people on this forum have more experience than the above described crowd and ahave deccided for whatever reason that they want "better" guns. This may stem from peer pressure, reasearch (physical or literary), or just some sort of desire to have the best. So these people will generally consider a taurus as a 2nd tier weapon, for watever reasons.

Lack of experience sells alot of the 2nd tier guns, combined with price. I can guarantee most people would be able to pick the better revolver if you placed a S&W and a Taurus in front of them, but many have not experienced how much better a "good" gun is. Always ask yourself, "would I bet my life on this gun?"

300 Win Mag

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Picayune, Mississippi
    So, I am not a gun person, I am not a firearms expert, and since I own S&W, Glock, Ruger and custom built 1911's I just want a gun at the price point that these guns sell for (even though I bought if for 150 less than it's selling point) and I will only put a few boxes through it in a year even though I have already said I have a 1,000 rounds coming to put through it to see how it does so my kind of gun will last a long time.

Interesting indeed, you do not live far from me, how about you and I getting together and I will leave my good guns (according to you) home and I will shoot the PT 609 pro hoping that it last for the duration of our shoot and you shoot whatever you want being one of the more experienced persons on this forum and lets see how we do. Looking forward to the event, you know, just for fun and then I will know that I should have used a better gun and will become one of the experienced.

Last edited:

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    268   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Maybe I came across wrong with my last post?

I did not mean to say that any specific person (300 win mag included) is not a "gun guy" or "firearms expert" (I quote those terms as they are questionable anyways)

I was just indicating what I belive to be the point of these types of guns, and the market sector they attempt to fill.

You got the gun used, at a sizeable discount from retail new. If nothing else that indicates you are a savvy buyer!! I would not expect many of our members to buy a taurus at msrp, as they are pretty close to what you can get a "low mileage" "big brand" gun for.

I will say that I would have piurchased that taurus as well, but only to sell it to fund the purchase of another gun, or ammo/accessories for an existing gun. I see no reason to "settle" for a taurus when I could have a glock.

I have some experience with a decent selection of handguns and rifles (not much with shotguns). I do have quite a collection of revolvers if that means anything (I just like them), and I have quite a few glocks. They made sense to me after investigating the internal workings of all of the polymer hi-caps, and they can be purchased used at good prices, and do not wear out. I have also seen/handles/inspected many glocks that have very high round counts from competions and spoken 1st hand to the users (mostly higher ranking leo's).

Am I an expert? With somethings, yes I am. I can completley assemble, troubleshoot and fix any of the ak types. I also have experience with fals, ars, and belt fed stuff. I am not a gunsmith, as I have not received any classical gunsmith training. All of my knowledge comes from experiece and research. I am also very familiar with various types of metals and plastics, plus I have considerable training/experience with sprayed coatings and coating technology in general. I also have considerable experience with complex mechanical devices. I would say I am qualified to inspect a firearm, determine its quality of manufacture, design and assembly and determine if I would own it.

I would be happy to shoot with you, but I do feel that I would bring a superior gun to the taurus. Superior in design, materials, and assembly. Will your taurus last the shooting session? How many rounds are we blazing thru?

And you really should remove the "want" from the equation, as that can justify any purchase!!! I have alot of guns that I just want, no real way to justify them. The Desert Eagle in 50ae would be a good example, I just wanted one!

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I've been shooting competition for maybe 5 years now. I've never seen a Taurus at a match not local or regional. I've never heard of a top competitor using one. I've never heard of a serious shooter that would use one everyday. I do know so serious shooters that have some Taurus that they bought b/c they were cheap and the application called for a weapon sitting around for a long time. But those were revolvers not semiautomatics.

I don't believe that all of the above is caused by people that are biased against Taurus. Too many people that I know, I shoot with, and respect their opinions tell me Taurus don't hold up well for me to doubt all of them.

Also in the article about the new man in charge about Taurus one of issues that his company had that he going to address was quality. I wonder why he would bother if there was not a problem?

Like I said I don't own any Taurus. I don't generally buy new guns anyway. Everything already has existed, nothing new or innovative has come out in many years. Marketing people just keep keep doing a redux on old ideas and rely on gun magazines to spin it as new.

Dave

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nothing in this world is perfect and even if something else is better does not mean it won't fail.

That might be the best point in the entire thread. Sig worthy, for sure.

And "Davio"-- Jesse Abbate-Harrison-whateverhernameisnow is shooting for Taurus this year. There may be a rush of folks with their autoloaders in the coming months.

It'll be interesting to see the outcome; I'm kinda interested.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    I have one Taurus, 8 shot .357mag w/ ported barrel. While its a very accurate shooter, I still would choose one of my S&W's over it for personal protection.

300 Win Mag

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Picayune, Mississippi
    Well, one thing for sure, I have decided there is no lack of passion on this forum. Really, a lot of good things brought up. Don't miss understand, Taurus is by no means my favorite brand. This one shoots very well so we will see how it does and I promise that if anything happens to it in anyway from miss feeds to breaks I will post it. I have enjoyed this thread and I think I am liking this forum more and more. Been interesting. I am not running away but will not pay as much attention to this thread as I do have other things to do. Thanks for the candid and honest responses, there is a lot of obvious experience on this forum. Once again thanks and especially to jdindadell and Sin-ster. Mike :)

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    268   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    That might be the best point in the entire thread. Sig worthy, for sure.

And "Davio"-- Jesse Abbate-Harrison-whateverhernameisnow is shooting for Taurus this year. There may be a rush of folks with their autoloaders in the coming months.

It'll be interesting to see the outcome; I'm kinda interested.

I agree, there is nothing that is failure proof.

Taurus just seem to be copy-cats, as mentioned earlier in the thread by someone wiser than I. I just have not come across a taurus product that I could use than is not availabe by another mfg, and is of higher quality than said product. Even the ragin bull 44mag i had, when compared to a S&W revo left a little to be desired as far as fit...

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    Personally, I have seen, held and fired Taurus SA pistols in the past, and I hold the the same opinion posted by most here. However, I have never seen one of these newer models before, let alone fired one. I have heard from numerous sources that the newest crop of Taurus SA models is worth looking at. I think sometimes it's hard for a company to grow out of a stereotype, so I'll withhold my judgement until I've tested one of these new models out.

Poorboy504

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Westbank/nola
    No one knows the bitter taste of distrust until your one and only firearm fails. Sure, you can reserve judgement and experience owning a Taurus yourself OR you can learn from others' misfortune and make a more educated decision--a decision that your life may one day depend on.
    Here is the evolution of my firearm ownership:
    First firearm owned--Taurus PT101 broke at the range . It was my only firearm at the time. I SOLD it.
    Second--Sig Mosquito jams when dirty and not using minimags. I SOLD it.
    Next--Ruger P95. It never failed, ever. I SOLD it (felt loose, wanted higher quality feel)
    Next--Beretta 92fs made in Italy. It never failed, felt very well made and solid
    Next--Doublestar ar15, my first rifle. SOLD. It was a Good rifle, well built and never failed but I started becoming a gun snob?
    Next--Daniel Defense AR15. Couldn't ask for more
    Next--Spike's AR15. Good value and great quality. I did more research.
    Next--Ruger SR9. Great feel in hand, well built
    Next--Glock 17. Where have you been?
    Next--HK P2000. What Glock?
    There are a couple I omitted but the gist is that I was inexperienced and bought based on price and features at first. As I learned, I made better choices. Oh I would like to mention I picked up a Rossi(owned by Taurus) 357 that broke the firing pin twice. I kept it as a range gun. If/when it breaks again, I am going to get rid of it.

Last edited:

dwhess504

Broke Joke
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Ponchatoula, La
    Maybe I came across wrong with my last post?

I did not mean to say that any specific person (300 win mag included) is not a "gun guy" or "firearms expert" (I quote those terms as they are questionable anyways)

I was just indicating what I belive to be the point of these types of guns, and the market sector they attempt to fill.

You got the gun used, at a sizeable discount from retail new. If nothing else that indicates you are a savvy buyer!! I would not expect many of our members to buy a taurus at msrp, as they are pretty close to what you can get a "low mileage" "big brand" gun for.

I will say that I would have piurchased that taurus as well, but only to sell it to fund the purchase of another gun, or ammo/accessories for an existing gun. I see no reason to "settle" for a taurus when I could have a glock.

I have some experience with a decent selection of handguns and rifles (not much with shotguns). I do have quite a collection of revolvers if that means anything (I just like them), and I have quite a few glocks. They made sense to me after investigating the internal workings of all of the polymer hi-caps, and they can be purchased used at good prices, and do not wear out. I have also seen/handles/inspected many glocks that have very high round counts from competions and spoken 1st hand to the users (mostly higher ranking leo's).

Am I an expert? With somethings, yes I am. I can completley assemble, troubleshoot and fix any of the ak types. I also have experience with fals, ars, and belt fed stuff. I am not a gunsmith, as I have not received any classical gunsmith training. All of my knowledge comes from experiece and research. I am also very familiar with various types of metals and plastics, plus I have considerable training/experience with sprayed coatings and coating technology in general. I also have considerable experience with complex mechanical devices. I would say I am qualified to inspect a firearm, determine its quality of manufacture, design and assembly and determine if I would own it.

I would be happy to shoot with you, but I do feel that I would bring a superior gun to the taurus. Superior in design, materials, and assembly. Will your taurus last the shooting session? How many rounds are we blazing thru?

And you really should remove the "want" from the equation, as that can justify any purchase!!! I have alot of guns that I just want, no real way to justify them. The Desert Eagle in 50ae would be a good example, I just wanted one!

The problem is you will lose money on a Taurus.... :rofl:

just stirring the pot even more for fun.... dont pay any attention to me.

Top Bottom