your favorie high capacity full size 45

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I was going to suggest the FNP45 as well. I haven't got to shoot mine yet, but I bought one right before coming back to the 'stan and loved the feel and the controls, etc.. Do all FNP45's have this issue you speak of?

My original High cap .45ACP was just buying the 10 round extended mags that gave me 10+1 in my 1911... Can't remember who makes them. Bought them in the Las Vegas Gun Store on vacation and they work perfect. If it's home defense, you can get those ridiculously high cap 1911 magazines like FPS russia uses in a couple of vids. lol (I prefer Shotguns and 40 round magazine AK's for Home Defense, myself...)

-Neal

It's not 100% sweeping, but it's common-- at least in the production runs that account for mine (and all of those prior). I believe mine is... 2 years old?

I found the issue on a forum somewhere, and immediately rushed to my pistol to have a look. It had eaten about 600 rounds at that point, and the pin was visibly walking. I drifted it back into place and decided to keep an eye on it.

I gave it a 1k work out across the next couple of weeks, and it walked again. I decided to leave it until it became an issue, just as a test. About 300 rounds into the next session, the trigger wouldn't depress and drop the hammer; the pin had walked out so far as to impinge on the frame.

I tapped it back and started looking for a fix. There was none, but horror stories abounded about trying to get FN to take care of it. Looooong waits, the wrong parts being sent out, etc. I thought of staking the pin, but there's basically no material there to work with-- and some of it is plastic anyway. Someone considered Loctite, much like you'd use on press-fit sights that were a little loose, but found that it was ineffective-- no matter what type they used. (Guy even tried the green...)

Then someone mentioned that they had drifted it 2 or 3 times and it suddenly stopped moving. So I kept on shooting, drifting; shooting, drifting. In the meantime, a friend brought his out for a couple of days of training and within 1k rounds (it was brand new), his gun locked up. I drifted mine once in that time frame as well.

He reports one more instance of drift, and then it just stopped moving for him as well. That was 5k rounds ago, way back in May-- so it's probably more by now. I haven't shot mine much since then, but it still hasn't made it past 1500 before it was dangerously close to locking up. It's gotten that far out in as little as 300 rounds t'boot.

For several reasons, I switched to the aforementioned M&P with TF basepads for the role the FN was supposed to fill and haven't thought about the gun since then. For all I know, there might be a fix out there-- DIY or from the factory. Something worth investigating if you plan on running the thing hard for extended periods.
    In addition some of the fnp models have feeding issues especially with Winchester white box.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    ql47pe8bf1t3tll2b5.jpg

SHOT1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Metairie
    There definitely seems to be a very solid concensus in the group on the g21. So I'll have to consider that one first.

I was thinking about a 1911, but I just can't warm up to the style. Maybe one day, but I have to get my "bucket list" guns first: g21, cz97b, and a sig220. These seems like a reasonable replacement for my current stash of 9s: sig 226, cz75b, and a xd9mm. As much as I love these 9s, I just fell in love with the 45 cal.:naughty:

Last edited:

Sigforty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2007
    I am a fan of my Para's. I have a P14-45 Limited that has been a great gun. Additionally, I use my P13 Limited as a carry gun. I like the P13 even more than the 14, but the 14 is the full size.

SHOT1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Metairie
    Why did you fall in love with .45? What about it?

Well, i have shot most of the common handgun rounds, other than a 10mm, and the 45 is just a fun round. Especially love shooting the g36. Gives me a bonner every time. Besides that, ive talked to some really smart people who have seen a few things, not just theorized based on their perception of what a round "could" accomplish in their opinion, and there is a pretty unanimous consensus amongst them that when u really want to stop someone or something, your chances are better with a 45.

Lets not get into a discussion about rounds here. I like the 45, dislike the 40, and 9mm is ok, nothing special though. Not a fan of revolvers that ive shot like 357. So with that in mind. The 45 is what makes sense for me.

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    I have a Para 14-45 and a Tac-Four which is a 13-45 with LDA trigger. Love them both. The Government size 14-45 standard
    magazine holds 14 rounds + chamber, and there are mags available which are 15 round so that gives you 16 on hand. My Tac
    Four holds 13+1 in a Commander sized package. I've never owned a Glock or an FNH, so I cannot speak to them, but I like my
    Para guns and Para customer service has been outstanding, with Travis Tomasie now handling CS issues. Seems to me to be the best of all worlds, a 1911 with 14 or 15 on tap.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Well, i have shot most of the common handgun rounds, other than a 10mm, and the 45 is just a fun round. Especially love shooting the g36. Gives me a bonner every time. Besides that, ive talked to some really smart people who have seen a few things, not just theorized based on their perception of what a round "could" accomplish in their opinion, and there is a pretty unanimous consensus amongst them that when u really want to stop someone or something, your chances are better with a 45.

Lets not get into a discussion about rounds here. I like the 45, dislike the 40, and 9mm is ok, nothing special though. Not a fan of revolvers that ive shot like 357. So with that in mind. The 45 is what makes sense for me.

Ok. I think your chasing an illusion but its your money man. Good luck. I'd take a look at the M&P 45 if I were you.

SR-NOLA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    NOLA
    My favorite is the G-21 but the full sized grip is not for everyone. Buddy of mine who hates the full sized grip on the 21 got the M&P 45 and likes the ergonomics of the grip. I happened to like the grip on the G21, but I have full sized hands....so

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    The .45 is a really fun round to suppress. It stays subsonic so all you really hear is some action noise from the pistol then a very satisfying thud when the heavy bullet hits the target. 9mm is great when you have work to do like concealed carry or training but for pure shits and giggles I love my .45.

SHOT1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Metairie
    The .45 is a really fun round to suppress. It stays subsonic so all you really hear is some action noise from the pistol then a very satisfying thud when the heavy bullet hits the target. 9mm is great when you have work to do like concealed carry or training but for pure shits and giggles I love my .45.

+1

I knew it wasnt just me.

Top Bottom