Your Indugence Please...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    I'm aware that many of you are probably growing weary of my public pity party. However, I believe that it's nearly over with this latest bit of inspiration. So... if you'd be so kind as to indulge me for just a bit longer we can wrap this up. :D

As most of you know my Sister and I lost our Dad this past Christmas. His passing brought back many emotions that I thought I had put behind me long ago. There was a time in which I had resentment in my heart for my Dad over some of the things that he did (or did NOT do) after he and our Mother got divorced. When I married Mrs Parallel she convinced me that nothing is more important than family and that led to my Dad and I repairing our once fractured relationship. My Dad and I would talk at least once a week and often we would talk for hours. Sometimes those conversations could be described as talking about nothing, but not always. We did have opportunities to discuss things of substance about many subjects and we did so often. Most importantly we discussed in an oblique manner the resentment that I felt and his reasons for his actions. I had determined that no matter his past mistakes he was my Dad and I Loved him no matter what.

In the days after his death I learned some things about my Dad that I didn't know, and that knowledge made me reexamine my criticism of him. For one thing, my own growth as a man and my acknowledgement of the flaws in my own character has allowed me to see things through his eyes more than when I was younger. For the past few months I've spend a LOT of time out in my garage restoring Dad's vintage Yamaha. This time has also allowed me to reflect upon all of those emotions that had returned and I am glad that they have. This time... I have truly found peace with the past and can fully Love and Respect my Dad in the manner he deserves. Last night I was up late reflecting upon this new found understanding and... I was inspired.

IN_HIS_OWN_WAY_net_zps1b4301dc.png

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    OUSTANDING!!! Perhaps we all can learn from this and try to understand why our parents did what they did even though we might have hated it or them for doing it. I have found that as I get older and have kids of my own I realize what great sacrifice my parents went thru to raise 4 kids and find tat they were really more patient than I am with my kids at times..Like you Parallel, my Dad was a child of the depression and grew up poor and became a doctor. Even though he was a highly respected physician, he was tight on a lot of things and I just couldn't understand it. Now I get it, believe me! We got along better just before he died in 2008 because I had grown and matured myself and realized that the things he did were for our own betterment..I miss him dearly myself and wish he was around to give some advice....

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    You have to appreciate people for what they are and forgive them for what they are not. Not living up to your expectations can be a flaw in your expectations. Communication often helps understand where they are coming from. Some things are better left unsaid. Some things should never be left unsaid. There may be some wisdom & strength required in either choice.

Last edited:

parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    Not living up to your expectations can be a flaw in your expectations.
    I'm sorry, but that's about the dumbest damned thing anyone has ever said about this particular situation. Do you REALLY find it a flaw for children to expect their ONLY parent to be home between the hours of 7:30 pm and 5:00 pm the following day? Leaving to go spend the evening with and sleeping in the home of his "new" family then going to work and coming home for dinner only to be off again by 7:30 pm is okay? I now understand why and I've forgiven him... that doesn't mean I would EVER condone that behavior and any suggestion that it was OUR expectation that was the problem is just stupid.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Parallel, discussing being upset about the loss of a family member hardly constitutes a pity party.

You were a bit rough on Request Dust Off... what he said may not apply in your situation but I get what he's saying. Sometimes we expect too much of family. Parents are entitled to have a life, but your kids come first. Also, divorce can make people behave, and think, irrationally.

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    I understand what your saying. It's tough as a child to go through some life situations.
    What a blessing it is to be able to see beyond the past and try to get relationships back together. It takes a man to be able to do so.
    Thanks for sharing your story and for the heart felt thoughts you wrote. I'm sure you are now proud of your dad and I bet he was more proud of you.
    God Bless

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I'm sorry, but that's about the dumbest damned thing anyone has ever said about this particular situation. Do you REALLY find it a flaw for children to expect their ONLY parent to be home between the hours of 7:30 pm and 5:00 pm the following day? Leaving to go spend the evening with and sleeping in the home of his "new" family then going to work and coming home for dinner only to be off again by 7:30 pm is okay? I now understand why and I've forgiven him... that doesn't mean I would EVER condone that behavior and any suggestion that it was OUR expectation that was the problem is just stupid.

Do you REALLY think I meant it that way?

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Parallel, discussing being upset about the loss of a family member hardly constitutes a pity party.

You were a bit rough on Request Dust Off... what he said may not apply in your situation but I get what he's saying. Sometimes we expect too much of family. Parents are entitled to have a life, but your kids come first. Also, divorce can make people behave, and think, irrationally.

Thank you.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Not a problem. I should have worded it better.

One of my Grandfather's always said "You can choose your friends, but you can't choose your family". I understood it much better as I got older. Forgiveness often gets viewed differently by people as they get older. I view it more as a selfish act than a selfless act now. Sometimes you have to forgive yourself.

This line stands out in your post:
    "For one thing, my own growth as a man and my acknowledgement of the flaws in my own character has allowed me to see things through his eyes more than when I was younger." One of the worst things about being a dad is seeing a bad trait in your kids and knowing they get it from you. Then one of the best is seeing a good trait and thinking they got it from your wife.

Good thing you reconciled and said some things when you had the chance. I am not really big on regret. I hate regretting things. When you look back on things you don't always remember all the factors in play at the time. You just have to know you did your best with what you had to work with at the time.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    All of life is a journey of learning to love, and forgiveness is a part of that; for although we are created in the image and likeness of God, we have the flaw of a fallen nature which impedes us in our quest for the fulfillment of perfect love.

Glad that you have found a major step on the journey.

parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    Thanks y'all. I got a call from my Aunt all choked up and crying because I referenced her. As I've told her before; by instilling God's grace in me she has given me the capacity to understand and forgive, which is a gift I could never repay.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    OUSTANDING!!! Perhaps we all can learn from this and try to understand why our parents did what they did even though we might have hated it or them for doing it. I have found that as I get older and have kids of my own I realize what great sacrifice my parents went thru to raise 4 kids and find tat they were really more patient than I am with my kids at times..Like you Parallel, my Dad was a child of the depression and grew up poor and became a doctor. Even though he was a highly respected physician, he was tight on a lot of things and I just couldn't understand it. Now I get it, believe me! We got along better just before he died in 2008 because I had grown and matured myself and realized that the things he did were for our own betterment..I miss him dearly myself and wish he was around to give some advice....

Wow...Really interesting
    It's almost like you were describing me. My dad grew up during the depression and him and his mother were not a rich family. He also became a doctor. And it wasn't until I had a child that I also became enlightened. I resented things when younger....And now I get it.

I say it all the time...Raising a child is a tough job. Thank God he didn't over-indulge us.

In any case...I could not agree more with you.

Creoleman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Metairie,La.
    Wow! Thanks for this thread, as it put things into perspective for me. Now if y'all will excuse me, I'm going to give my Dad a phone call...

Top Bottom