The Discussion Continued

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cIoPXIOJN4M

Just amber.

Purpose is to help prevent my ass from being run over if I'm assisting another motorist.

There was one time DOTD ran out of manpower and road barricades to block something and asked me to block it temporarily while they got more trucks to make roadblocks with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you ride around looking for stranded motorists, or do you get notified by a company?

What's a chase vehicle?

JR1572

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    How do you find out a motorist needs assistance? Do you just drive around?

I happen upon them. I do a lot of driving as is, and taking 20 minutes to assist someone usually doesn't interfere with appointments.

I have no interest in actively hunting for breakdowns unless it's one of the underpasses that flood. Those are guaranteed to have someone who thought it was crossable.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I happen upon them. I do a lot of driving as is, and taking 20 minutes to assist someone usually doesn't interfere with appointments.

I have no interest in actively hunting for breakdowns unless it's one of the underpasses that flood. Those are guaranteed to have someone who thought it was crossable.

You have more LEDs on your car than some cop cars, yet you just happen upon people? That's a lot of work to just find people randomly on the side of the road.

Suburbazine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You have more LEDs on your car than some cop cars, yet you just happen upon people? That's a lot of work to just find people randomly on the side of the road.

Those cop cars are significantly underlighted and have no business where they can get run over. Just saying.

One person who is overjoyed that someone, anyone, stopped to help them with anything from a flat tire to a dead battery makes it worth it. From the average person's perspective, breaking down in the road with no one to help is a very bad thing. I can't help the lady who is crying because her autistic child is at home and will have a meltdown if she isn't there, but I can put her spare on and send her on her way.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    One person who is overjoyed that someone, anyone, stopped to help them with anything from a flat tire to a dead battery makes it worth it. From the average person's perspective, breaking down in the road with no one to help is a very bad thing. I can't help the lady who is crying because her autistic child is at home and will have a meltdown if she isn't there, but I can put her spare on and send her on her way.

I definitely think it's great that you help people, I just don't get the need for all the amber lights and stuff.

Suburbazine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Take your average BR driver and see how many times they will tear end a vehicle stopped in the roadway where it's not supposed to be. Or the ones that run up and blare their horn like you're the idiot? If someone hits me it's not going to be cause they couldn't see me. I want to tear their retinas away from their phone screens for a few seconds.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Amber and red lights really dont do much for visibility. Its been proven by people much smarter than anyone on here that a single row of blue lights has much more affect than all of the red white and amber lights on a vehicle the size of an ambulance. thats why ambulances and fire trucks are beginning to put small amounts of blue lights on their vehicles.

Suburbazine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You said you listen to MAP channels. You'll be hard pressed to convince me you don't go out of your way to find stranded motorists.

MAP can have all the interstate breakdowns. I want none of them. Fatality risk is too high for me. MAP is strictly interstate.

FYI, that list is in order of importance. Even if MAP is active I usually don't hear them because any of the other services higher up are broadcasting.

Last edited:

JeeperCreeper

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    LaLa Land
    MAP can have all the interstate breakdowns. I want none of them. Fatality risk is too high for me. MAP is strictly interstate.

FYI, that list is in order of importance. Even if MAP is active I usually don't hear them because any of the other services higher up are broadcasting.

Can we see pics of the suburban?

Suburbazine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Amber and red lights really dont do much for visibility. Its been proven by people much smarter than anyone on here that a single row of blue lights has much more affect than all of the red white and amber lights on a vehicle the size of an ambulance. thats why ambulances and fire trucks are beginning to put small amounts of blue lights on their vehicles.

I know. But I can't use blue, so that idea is out of reach. But you can see my rear ambers from over a mile away. There is no missing them from behind. Unfortunately being non linear the off angle sucks but I don't encounter situations where it matters much. The center brake light section is stupidly brighter than anything on any vehicle I've seen here though. I have never seen a motorist ignore it.

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    Sub you sound like a good human. Can't fault a guy for helping people out (even if you are dressed like Rambo ;) )

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    I definitely think it's great that you help people, I just don't get the need for all the amber lights and stuff.
    Need? What's need got to do with it??
    33050747.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom