1911 45acp suggestions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    If I had money to burn, I'd be all over this. I really don't think it is worth what they go for, but that's just me.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Been doing the research and for the money with upgraded options Ed brown sounds pretty good. The Wilson and nighthawk are great also but in the end all shoot about the same its gonna come down to fit and finish and customer service. Gonna take a ride to jims guns I think they have all 3 brands there. And I know Rick knows his 1911s there. Leaning towards Ed special forces trick out to my specs. Wilson cqb tricked out. Nighthawk falcon or recon already has options I want done to it which is flush cut and deep crown barrel and slide stop frame bevel.

You will be happy with any of above three. Just one will feel and appeal to you personally. Kinda like a wife but a hell of a lot cheaper. ;)

Dirtchevy841

Reloader
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Covington La
    Leaning toward Ed brown spec forces just tricked out more in the battle bronze pkg. really nice. Found out that Wilson has several parts that r manufactured off site that's not up to the quality of in house stuff being done by les brown nh. This is coming from a big time smith in area that told me not to name him. Even my digging found the same issue with Wilson.

Dirtchevy841

Reloader
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Covington La
    Dan Wesson valor doesn't look that bad. any reviews

Dan Wesson valor is looking better and better. Been doing research on them and they shoot as well or better in some cases than the Ed Browns. The Ed brown I want is nicer but for 3200 I guess your paying for that. Now the valor is listed at 2012 but I have a dealer friend that can get dw and can get a blk valor for 1700 and the ss valor for 1400. I wish he could get the Browns lol. Let me know what u guys think. At my wits end trying to decide.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    1. Guncrafter Industries is the name of the manufacturer I mentioned earlier. Quality piece (which you pay for).
    2. Re: Dan Wesson: several range officers at IPSO shoot and swear by them. I'm planning on shooting mine soon. And you can get one plus 5 CASES of 45ACP ammo for the price of some of the others you are considering. Or add a Glock 30/21 and 3 cases.

Last edited:

Dirtchevy841

Reloader
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Covington La
    1. Guncrafter Industries is the name of the manufacturer I mentioned earlier. Quality piece (which you pay for).
    2. Re: Dan Wesson: several range officers at IPSO shoot and swear by them. I'm planning on shooting mine soon. And you can get one plus 5 CASES of 45ACP ammo for the price of some of the others you are considering. Or add a Glock 30/21 and 3 cases.
    I hear ya. And for the price I can get for the dw it's kinda hard not to go with the valor.

Dirtchevy841

Reloader
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Covington La

You have a Dan Wesson which one and how is it

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I've had several 1911's including Wilsons, DW, S&W, Colt, Sig, STI, and Rock Island. Always wanted a Wilson since he started his business, when I got mine I loved it. Nothing I had prior felt, looked, or shot as good as this gun. Then one day I bought a used S&W performance center gun for $1100. It out shot my Wilson with every load I use. I eventually sold the Wilson to fund other guns, then last year I traded the S&W in on a Sig Max Michel edition. Should never gotten rid of the S$W. As a side note all my 1911's can group 1" 25 yards with the right load, so buying a high dollar 1911 is just not that big a deal in my opinion unless it's an ego thing. I currently have the Sig, STI Trojan, Dan Wesson, and Rock Island commander, the DW I bought before the price doubled.

Last edited:

Dirtchevy841

Reloader
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Covington La
    So what did you get.

Nothing yet still thinking. Not in a rush. Want to take time to make right choice. But down to the dan Wesson or the Ed brown. Called dw and I can ship the valor back to them and they can do everything custom thing I want to it. Big difference is price. Dw completely customized 1650. Only because my buddy can get at valor at a very good dealer price. Ed brown how I want it is 3300. Big decision. From what I read and hear dw is just as good as Ed brown but half the price. Everything is hand fit no mim parts just like the brown.

Dirtchevy841

Reloader
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Covington La
    So what did you get.

Got the dan Wesson valor stainless steel 5 inch. Sent it back for the custom work to get done. Black duty finish on the barrel bushing, grip safety, thumb safety, mag release and slide stop lever. Added a cut flush and shortend slide stop lever to go with the flush cut and bevel on frame for flush slide stop lever. Flush cut and deep crowned barrel and high polished barrel. Also Glenn with dw is doing a custom trigger job to bring down to 3 lbs and polishing everything.

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    Got the dan Wesson valor stainless steel 5 inch. Sent it back for the custom work to get done. Black duty finish on the barrel bushing, grip safety, thumb safety, mag release and slide stop lever. Added a cut flush and shortend slide stop lever to go with the flush cut and bevel on frame for flush slide stop lever. Flush cut and deep crowned barrel and high polished barrel. Also Glenn with dw is doing a custom trigger job to bring down to 3 lbs and polishing everything.
    (grunt grunt) I'm jealous.

gmshooter

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    328   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Gramercy La.
    I have 2 built by Clark Custom in Shreveport La. Great guns!!

Clark.jpg

Globallyoff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX
    I have 2 built by Clark Custom in Shreveport La. Great guns!!

View attachment 55473

I can't believe I got to the last post before Clark Custom Guns was mentioned. They are based in Princeton, La. just off of Hiway 80.I have a Kimber based stainless "Meltdown" and a Kimber based Gold Match. I had to take the meltdown back to have them heavy up the trigger pull. Done while I waited. I've also taken private lessons from Jerry Mickulek. If you live in Shreveport- Bossier they are hard to beat.

If Clark is not your style then check out Willis Arms out of Elm Grove, La. (south of Bossier City). He reblued a Browning Hi Power for me and the work was excellent. Why not support Louisiana based gunsmiths who can compete with any of the other pistolsmiths?

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    What about the Colt Special Government Combat? They are put through the Colt Custom Shop and they're very nice. I shot a blued model with the carry sights and it was superb. Very smooth slide to frame fit, awesome trigger, and very accurate. The owner paid about 2 grand..

Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom