Anyone Familiar w/ the Snagmag

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Where did Craig tell you to carry your knife?

JR1572

It was not Craig's knife class it was AMIS. We were on a lunch break and while in parking-lot, rushing to get back to class I shoved my hand in pocket to get mag out and leave in car. Thats when it happened.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    It was not Craig's knife class it was AMIS. We were on a lunch break and while in parking-lot, rushing to get back to class I shoved my hand in pocket to get mag out and leave in car. Thats when it happened.

What brand/model knife you stabbed yourself with? I only use Benchmade knives and I haven't stabbed myself yet.

I thought you said you were at a Craig class.

JR1572

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    What brand/model knife you stabbed yourself with? I only use Benchmade knives and I haven't stabbed myself yet.

I thought you said you were at a Craig class.

JR1572

It was Craig's AMIS class.

The knife is a Benchmade HK Snody. Like I said it was folded and it was not the blade that ripped my hand open, it was the handel portion near the axis lock.

g413ve58hogjr1n0yqe.jpg

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    It was Craig's AMIS class.

The knife is a Benchmade HK Snody. Like I said it was folded and it was not the blade that ripped my hand open, it was the handel portion near the axis lock.

g413ve58hogjr1n0yqe.jpg

Ok.

In my off pocket (indexed off of my centerline) I have my e1b and a griptilian folded with the blade resting against the edge of the pocket. If I'm wearing my work khakis or shorts, I put the knife on the bottom and the e1b above it.

When I reach into that pocket my hand contacts the flashlight.

JR1572

SteelHorseCowboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Sterlington, Louisiana
    I carry a spare mag in my left back pocket. This would be perfect for me.

Come if you must, but only if you must. For the day you find yourself upon my step shall be the night you find peace along Jordan's edge.

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    I saw the answer above.

Deploying the blade from the off side with the off hand is a problem?

JR1572

Two hand weapon retention is stronger and to have both hands near your weapon is better. Just like training by shooting your weapon. You also need to train weapon(s) retention.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Two hand weapon retention is stronger and to have both hands near your weapon is better. Just like training by shooting your weapon. You also need to train weapon(s) retention.

I understand your point, but try to understand mine.

I cannot put every defensive item on my duty belt on the same side as my pistol. The space on the 36 inch duty belt is limited. OC spray, Taser, etc are on my off side. Baton and cuffs are behind my primary. BUG is either in a pocket or on an ankle.

JR1572

Last edited:

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs

I cannot put every defensive item on my duty belt on the same side as my pistol. The space on the 36 inch duty belt is limited.

JR1572

I fought that argument as well. Until I tried it I also carried a knife in the top of my vest

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I fought that argument as well. Until I tried it I also carried a knife in the top of my vest

I'll try a knife in each pocket. If I switch I'll die somewhere reaching for the knife in the wrong pocket...

JR1572

SteelHorseCowboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Sterlington, Louisiana

JR1572

Try to understand also that not everyone is a cop and carrying everything but the kitchen sink on their belt.

So where should the knife be? Where it works best for the user. There is no other option.

A one size fits all answer is never acceptable, because one size NEVER fits all.

Get that lodged into your brain housing group and it kills conflict quicker than anything. Frankly, don't insist that YOUR method is the RIGHT method for EVERYONE.

I carry either my Balisong in my change/watch/key/fifth pocket (whatever that small pocket is called), or a Kershaw Crown clipped in the right pocket. Gun is on my right side at 3:30.

Come if you must, but only if you must. For the day you find yourself upon my step shall be the night you find peace along Jordan's edge.

SteelHorseCowboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Sterlington, Louisiana
    A couple more things to consider...

When I was with PMO on Camp Lejeune, we did not train for knife use. Because it was not considered an acceptable secondary or less lethal weapon. Simply put, in military LE, cutting someone is bad and falls outside of justifiable force.

And during weapons retention training, we were taught, as mentioned by George, two hands are very obviously stronger than one.

This also puts the offside arm in a semi defensive posture, covering part of the chest and abdomen in the event of an incoming strike from an attacker, and makes it more readily possible to deliver a counter strike with an elbow or shove with the shoulder.

Versus leaving your front wide open, while trying to retain your most lethal weapon with only one hand? To retrieve a secondary weapon, which the use of I've never heard of being approved by any department? And that secondary (knife) being smaller and inherently trickier to grasp than a baton?

None of that makes sense to me. But hey, I'm no longer in law enforcement and haven't been for a while, and have never been in civilian law enforcement.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom