Carry Pistols

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Great assessment! And the Nairobi incident is a good example. But statistically, that is very unlikely to happen in the US. Nonetheless, I am right there too; carrying this 19 and a spare mag with me EVERYWHERE I go; all day; all night; and while I sleep it is near by. If you want to know the truth, it's a pain in the ass. Too bad I know it's a damn necessity.

But I also make sure that my instant alarm is set when I am about to go to bed, and I avoid places where statistically I am more likely to encounter a predator, like; driving through suspect neighborhoods, dimly lit areas, walking distances too far for comfort, just being out in public after dark in general, etc. Like choosing to play Blackjack over all other betting games, because the odds are better.

Statistically, until it happened in Narobi, it had never happened in Kenya. I agree with making personal safety a lifestyle and taking a wholistic appraoch that includes things like pattern of life changes, but for me that approach will always include hoping for the best while being prepared for worst, within reason. To me the 19 is that reasonable preparedness. I also feel that most people who struggle to conceal a pistol like a 19 or even 17 would be able to do it fine if they picked the right holster, a real belt, and better understood dressing around a gun.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Statistically, until it happened in Narobi, it had never happened in Kenya. I agree with making personal safety a lifestyle and taking a wholistic appraoch that includes things like pattern of life changes, but for me that approach will always include hoping for the best while being prepared for worst, within reason. To me the 19 is that reasonable preparedness. I also feel that most people who struggle to conceal a pistol like a 19 or even 17 would be able to do it fine if they picked the right holster, a real belt, and better understood dressing around a gun.

This^, without question in MY mind, is the most misunderstood aspect of CC by the masses that choose to. Shame too! It makes all the difference in the world.

ajridgedell

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    Loranger, La
    This isn't me, but this is pretty much the same:

G17worninVanguard2_zps9b470f5a.jpg

No skinny jeans and sports bras for me.

When I'm not wearing a polo shirt, I'm wearing one of these: http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Finley-River-Shirt-for-Men-Long-Sleeve/product/13102307012918/

This is a shot of when I was testing out a sheath for my EDC blade:

16479308720_2823a7332c.jpg

Buy the right belt and you won't have to worry about the weight. The belt in the picture is a cheapy Columbia belt, but I'm typically wearing an Ares Gear Ranger belt.

+1 here, I carry appendix with two mags all day everyday. My work is somewhat physical and I find minimal discomfort with good concealment right there, esp when having to bend over or squat down. Granted I carry a G36, but if I knew then what I know now I would have bought a midsize 9mm. I just wear regular cotton t-shirts and no one notices.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I either carry a 9mm P2000SK(P30 mag as a reload) with Ranger 147GR or a Glock 32 with XTP 147gr .357SIG. Sometimes I just put a Smith Mod 60 .357 with 125gr Sivertips in my pocket holster.
    My Glock 20 10mm defends the house, but occasionally finds its way into my pants on the right hip.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I either carry a 9mm P2000SK(P30 mag as a reload) with Ranger 147GR or a Glock 32 with XTP 147gr .357SIG. Sometimes I just put a Smith Mod 60 .357 with 125gr Sivertips in my pocket holster.
    My Glock 20 10mm defends the house, but occasionally finds its way into my pants on the right hip.

I never did care much for 147gr loads. 115gr loads are extremely controllable and goes back to the saying of accurate shot placement, speed, & capacity over a larger bullet/caliber, more recoil, and less capacity.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Until it gets really hot, will stick with my 1911 in .38 Super with spare mag. Might as well carry something that looks nice. :cool:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Isn't a Taurus Judge the best way to go? It's like getting hit with a bunch of 9mm all at the same time. Just hearing the hammer click back makes bad guys run.

Just kidding in case any of you don't get it.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Isn't a Taurus Judge the best way to go? It's like getting hit with a bunch of 9mm all at the same time. Just hearing the hammer click back makes bad guys run.

Just kidding in case any of you don't get it.

The problem with the Judge, is that you have to have the Jury approve the shot..

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I never did care much for 147gr loads. 115gr loads are extremely controllable and goes back to the saying of accurate shot placement, speed, & capacity over a larger bullet/caliber, more recoil, and less capacity.

I used to carry Corbon 115+p+ back when the old 147gr rounds over penetrated targets. The new 147gr rounds are much improved among the best right now.

KnightWolf09

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    New Orleans
    Recently started using 115 gold dots in my SR9c (10+1). Before that is was the 147 Rangers. Just haven't found them as easily. Thought about trying the Winchester T & D line though.

Thinking about going to a Shield for the summer then up to a G23 for the fall (aka my birthday present) in which case I'd use the 180 Rangers I have.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I used to carry Corbon 115+p+ back when the old 147gr rounds over penetrated targets. The new 147gr rounds are much improved among the best right now.

I'll have to pick some up and give it a go. I have a box or two of Hornady that I'd like to go through. The last batch of Critical Duty & Critical Defense was inconsistent. However, that was the only negative results that I have ever had with Hornady.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

Forum statistics