"Casual" Carry in a Vehicle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • talcatcha

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    Pearl River, Louisiana
    The law isn't very precise on concealed carry without a license. It appears you also need a CCW license to conceal a handgun on your person while in your home, yard, friends yard, car, or deer lease.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    The law isn't very precise on concealed carry without a license. It appears you also need a CCW license to conceal a handgun on your person while in your home, yard, friends yard, car, or deer lease.
    Very true. Welcome aboard!! Go post an intro in the new member introductions area :)

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    A vehicle is NOT an extension of your home. This is fact. How do I know?

nola.jpg

cop-copy.jpg

Usmc.jpg

This guy told me. ^

Last edited:

tea333

Dysfunctional Vet
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I put my pistol into the console cup holder on my 2012 Toyota Tacoma. Two of the cup holders are a soft rubber material, forward of the shift lever, and will hold a smaller type revolver or semi-auto well. Put either my Ruger LCP or S&W Model 60 "J" frame into it. Doesn't work well with larger frame pistols.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I put my pistol into the console cup holder on my 2012 Toyota Tacoma. Two of the cup holders are a soft rubber material, forward of the shift lever, and will hold a smaller type revolver or semi-auto well. Put either my Ruger LCP or S&W Model 60 "J" frame into it. Doesn't work well with larger frame pistols.

Amateur! :mamoru:

steven1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2013
    choate machine makes a little peg which mounts on the dash, or wherever. the peg goes down the barrel, holding the gun in the semi-vertical upright poz, just rite for grasping it by the grip. out in the open, and safe enuf for DEA.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    choate machine makes a little peg which mounts on the dash, or wherever. the peg goes down the barrel, holding the gun in the semi-vertical upright poz, just rite for grasping it by the grip. out in the open, and safe enuf for DEA.

Why the hell would you keep a gun on your dash? That is just opening you up for problems...

steven1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2013
    thanks, i really don t advocate having the thing in the cockpit at all , loaded, unloaded ,concealed, permitted , under the laundry or w/the ammo locked in the toolbox. b/c the agency that stops your vehicle will always have the last say. that said, my suggestion is the stick vs. the cupholder, if you are intent on having it up there.... and don t go in the 9th ward after dark...

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    thanks, i really don t advocate having the thing in the cockpit at all , loaded, unloaded ,concealed, permitted , under the laundry or w/the ammo locked in the toolbox. b/c the agency that stops your vehicle will always have the last say. that said, my suggestion is the stick vs. the cupholder, if you are intent on having it up there.... and don t go in the 9th ward after dark...

Huh?

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    He said he doesn't recommend keeping a gun in the car because the police might get upset. But if you do have one stick it in the cup holder. And don't go into the 9th ward after sunset.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    lol, no one really cares if you have a firearm in your vehicle, unless you are in the process of, or about to commit a crime...

:rofl:

he's new, go easy on him fellas

chanteliz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    Covington, LA
    I just took CCW class last wknd. I was told that you can have your gun in your car in LA without the permit and that loaded firearms may be carried almost anywhere by non-permitees... in the seat pocket, dashboard, glove compartment, console box, or trunk of vehicles. A handgun may also be carried in plain view in a snapped holster or other similar carry rig. And yes, the vehicle is the extension of ones home in LA. It is one of 4 states in the US to recognize such.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I just took CCW class last wknd. I was told that you can have your gun in your car in LA without the permit and that loaded firearms may be carried almost anywhere by non-permitees... in the seat pocket, dashboard, glove compartment, console box, or trunk of vehicles. A handgun may also be carried in plain view in a snapped holster or other similar carry rig. And yes, the vehicle is the extension of ones home in LA. It is one of 4 states in the US to recognize such.

100% correct.

So long as it isn't on your person. Legally "on your person" is a separate entity than being in your vehicle, even if you are driving it.

To keep this clear: carry however you like in your car, conceal it or don't- but if its physically on your body, it cannot be concealed without a permit.

Top Bottom