"Casual" Carry in a Vehicle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I just took CCW class last wknd. I was told that you can have your gun in your car in LA without the permit and that loaded firearms may be carried almost anywhere by non-permitees... in the seat pocket, dashboard, glove compartment, console box, or trunk of vehicles. A handgun may also be carried in plain view in a snapped holster or other similar carry rig. And yes, the vehicle is the extension of ones home in LA. It is one of 4 states in the US to recognize such.

Did your instructor tell you not to drive your home onto U.S. Post office property or the VA hospital?

chanteliz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    Covington, LA
    You can keep a firearm in your car no matter where you are in the State of Louisiana. If the driveway touches a city or parish, or state road and they ban firearms in the parking lot, the place or business has to have a place to secure your firearm on the premesis which is why most don't deal with it. You can carry your weapon in your car onto school property as well without a permit. You just can't take it out lol.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    You can keep a firearm in your car no matter where you are in the State of Louisiana. If the driveway touches a city or parish, or state road and they ban firearms in the parking lot, the place or business has to have a place to secure your firearm on the premesis which is why most don't deal with it. You can carry your weapon in your car onto school property as well without a permit. You just can't take it out lol.

Except on federal property that prohibits firearms...such as the veterans hospital or post offices...

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    39 CFR 232.1
    Title 39 - Postal Service
    Chapter I - United States Postal Service
    Subchapter D - Organization and Administration
    Part 232 - Conduct on Postal Property
    232.1 - Conduct on Postal Property.

Paragraph L

(l) Weapons and explosives. No person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

Firearm in your vehicle on their parking lot is a federal offense, and a violation of your CHP. "Anywhere" is a broad brush chanteliz.

chanteliz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    Covington, LA
    39 CFR 232.1
    Title 39 - Postal Service
    Chapter I - United States Postal Service
    Subchapter D - Organization and Administration
    Part 232 - Conduct on Postal Property
    232.1 - Conduct on Postal Property.

Paragraph L

(l) Weapons and explosives. No person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

Firearm in your vehicle on their parking lot is a federal offense, and a violation of your CHP. "Anywhere" is a broad brush chanteliz.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/dome...ar-arms-in-a-post-office-parking-lot-20130711

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/11/us/guns-post-office/

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...k-sen-rand-paul-defending-gun-right/?page=all

It's ok to carry a gun in your car at a post office.

chanteliz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    Covington, LA
    I'm not trying to cause any commotion, I'm just relaying what was taught to me by an incredibly sufficient instructor. I'm sure you all here have much more knowledge and information than I do... and I agree the Federal Property issue is not very clear. A lot of VA's (personal experience here) allow weapons to be locked up in vehicles and not brought in - even thought technically it's against the law. They recognize the fact that our service men and women often have to travel great lengths to get to a facility and their protection is their right along the journey. That won't stop them for arresting an idiot that may brandish or brag for instance though. Best bet is to park offsite if you want to fully comply with the current existing laws on that one...

kenny

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Lacombe, LA
    I'm not trying to cause any commotion, I'm just relaying what was taught to me by an incredibly sufficient instructor. I'm sure you all here have much more knowledge and information than I do... and I agree the Federal Property issue is not very clear. A lot of VA's (personal experience here) allow weapons to be locked up in vehicles and not brought in - even thought technically it's against the law. They recognize the fact that our service men and women often have to travel great lengths to get to a facility and their protection is their right along the journey. That won't stop them for arresting an idiot that may brandish or brag for instance though. Best bet is to park offsite if you want to fully comply with the current existing laws on that one...
    Firearms are restricted at federal facilities. 18 USC 930. I have written David Vitter's office on this one, once you enter a federal facility, military base, arsenal, assembly facility, etc., you are no longer in the State of Louisiana, you are on federal property.

If you read the code, there are exceptions, but until the supreme court adds parking lots, we're **** outta luck.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Firearms are restricted at federal facilities. 18 USC 930. I have written David Vitter's office on this one, once you enter a federal facility, military base, arsenal, assembly facility, etc., you are no longer in the State of Louisiana, you are on federal property.

If you read the code, there are exceptions, but until the supreme court adds parking lots, we're **** outta luck.

the senate overturned the measure for Post Office parking lots specifically in February. see links above.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts

Don't try it at the Shreveport VA. They were cracking down on it a couple years ago. I think it stemmed from one employee following another employee off property and getting into a gunfight with him just off the property. Right after that happened, signs went up all over the parking lot followed by a few surprise inspections.

Top Bottom