Concealed carry at a gun show

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    Ok, let me kick this hornet's nest a little more. When I took my CHP class a few weeks ago, the instructor said that signs at the entrance / exit to a business did have the force of law, and I even contacted him again after the class with this specific question. So, does it or does it not have the force of law? Do we have to comply with these signs or not, by law? Where does it definitively say one way or the other?

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    WOW... Looks like my simple question took a turn for the worse. I know that when an officer approaches me to let him know I am carrying and I am permitted too. I was not even suggesting trying to sneak in my weapon and/or spare mag like I'm some secret ninja or some ****.

My question really was more in line for the ammo in the mags. I guess I should have clarified that better. Will my mags and ammo be taken from me when I walk in and will they be returned upon leaving the building, is probably a more cut and dry question.

To any LEO's who will be working the show this weekend, I will not be trying to pull one over on you. There may be a few who do try and probably a few more who will succeed; but the big eared bald-headed guy with a beard is not. I don't want any LAPD **** playing out in Lafayette. (Not comparing y'all to those fools... I'll take my Lafayette SO & PD anyday over any other agency!)

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    WOW... Looks like my simple question took a turn for the worse. I know that when an officer approaches me to let him know I am carrying and I am permitted too. I was not even suggesting trying to sneak in my weapon and/or spare mag like I'm some secret ninja or some ****.

My question really was more in line for the ammo in the mags. I guess I should have clarified that better. Will my mags and ammo be taken from me when I walk in and will they be returned upon leaving the building, is probably a more cut and dry question.

To any LEO's who will be working the show this weekend, I will not be trying to pull one over on you. There may be a few who do try and probably a few more who will succeed; but the big eared bald-headed guy with a beard is not. I don't want any LAPD **** playing out in Lafayette. (Not comparing y'all to those fools... I'll take my Lafayette SO & PD anyday over any other agency!)

No. If you tell them you are carrying you will be asked to go put your loaded mags in your vehicle. If you want, you can bring your pistol back in with you and let then ziptie it. You can then carry it around on you.

That's my first hand experience from accidentally carrying into a show. I carried my ziptied pistol around the show so I didn't have to leave it in the car.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Ok, let me kick this hornet's nest a little more. When I took my CHP class a few weeks ago, the instructor said that signs at the entrance / exit to a business did have the force of law, and I even contacted him again after the class with this specific question. So, does it or does it not have the force of law? Do we have to comply with these signs or not, by law? Where does it definitively say one way or the other?

What your Instructor told you is correct. This has been answered repeatedly on BS.
    Read post 13 in this thread.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    Thanks JBP55, that's what I thought. I am just confused as so many people continue to write that these signs mean nothing and can be disregarded. As a new CHP applicant, I want to make sure to follow the law and understand what the law actually states.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge

What your Instructor told you is correct. This has been answered repeatedly on BS.
    Read post 13 in this thread.

You will not get a definite answer because CHP instructors don't even agree.

There is no law giving the force of law to a sign that prohibits guns the force of law in Louisiana, however some believe that the following statement gives a sign force of law:

"The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person."

I don't see where it says a sign has force of law. How big does the sign have to be? Where does the sign have to be placed? Do you have to have a sign at every entrance? What if it says "No Illegal Guns"? There are some places where it is illegal to carry a gun without a CHP, but you are permitted to carry a gun with your CHP. They have Government signs that state no firearms, or no firearms over a certain caliber, yet you can still carry with your CHP. Take a look at Arkansas and Texas CHP law, they specifically describe the signs, how tall the letters must be, font, where they should be, etc.

The sign has about the same force of law as a sign that says "Not responsible for damage from Falling rocks" on the back of a gravel truck, but that is how I interpret the law, and many CHP instructors.

Now carrying at a gun show is just stupid. You get asked usually 3 times before you pay if you are carrying a firearm or any live ammunition. You are told by employees that your gun must be checked before you enter. The sign is just an aid, the representatives telling you that you cannot carry a loaded gun is what is prohibiting and restricting access, not a sign.

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    You will not get a definite answer because CHP instructors don't even agree.

There is no law giving the force of law to a sign that prohibits guns the force of law in Louisiana, however some believe that the following statement gives a sign force of law:

"The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person."

I don't see where it says a sign has force of law. How big does the sign have to be? Where does the sign have to be placed? Do you have to have a sign at every entrance? What if it says "No Illegal Guns"? There are some places where it is illegal to carry a gun without a CHP, but you are permitted to carry a gun with your CHP. They have Government signs that state no firearms, or no firearms over a certain caliber, yet you can still carry with your CHP. Take a look at Arkansas and Texas CHP law, they specifically describe the signs, how tall the letters must be, font, where they should be, etc.

The sign has about the same force of law as a sign that says "Not responsible for damage from Falling rocks" on the back of a gravel truck, but that is how I interpret the law, and many CHP instructors.

Now carrying at a gun show is just stupid. You get asked usually 3 times before you pay if you are carrying a firearm or any live ammunition. You are told by employees that your gun must be checked before you enter. The sign is just an aid, the representatives telling you that you cannot carry a loaded gun is what is prohibiting and restricting access, not a sign.

You bring up a lot of valid points. However
    I for one don't have the extra time or funds to try to fight questions like this in court. If I see a sign that says no firearms I turn around and if applicable take my business elsewhere. I try to operate my life under the KISS principal as much as possible

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

DS727

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Denham Springs
    Other than posting a conspicous sign for the public to see, how would you suggest the owner of a business inform you that firearms are not allowed on his premises?

Have a metal detector and someone standing at the door?

Obviously if someone has a sign up, they don't want you carrying on their property. How much more clear does this need to be?

The law says they have the right to restrict your carrying of a firearm on their property.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    People seem to be thinking about it wrong. No, the sign does not carry the weight of a Gun Free Zone sign for example. It does however express the business's decision to not allow firearms on it's premises, which if violated can be unlawful. Think about it like a "No shoes, no shirt, no service" sign. It's obviously not illegal to be barefoot. But if you enter that property without shoes, you could be could run into trespassing laws.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    I just have not been to a gun show around here, up in the Northwest the gun shows don't have police sitting in front of it, in fact where I am from is where that Seattle gun buyback turned into a gun show... the whole atmosphere its way different here...

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    It is not like I go out of my way to carry at places with no firearms signs, but to say a sign has the force of law that hasn't been described in a law doesn't make any sense to me. I don't go many places, I like to stay insulated from the general population of Baton rouge... and if that insulation gets too thin I carry, well I always carry...

You bring up a lot of valid points. However
    I for one don't have the extra time or funds to try to fight questions like this in court. If I see a sign that says no firearms I turn around and if applicable take my business elsewhere. I try to operate my life under the KISS principal as much as possible

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    People seem to be thinking about it wrong. No, the sign does not carry the weight of a Gun Free Zone sign for example. It does however express the business's decision to not allow firearms on it's premises, which if violated can be unlawful. Think about it like a "No shoes, no shirt, no service" sign. It's obviously not illegal to be barefoot. But if you enter that property without shoes, you could be could run into trespassing laws.

This is what I've said in multiple threads, and what I tell my students.

If you carry into a building with a no gun sign you are Not in violation of RS 14.95 (illegal carrying of weapons), but you Would be in violation of RS 14.63 (Criminal trespass). You are legally carrying a handgun but you are in a place the owner has Already communicated to you (via the sign) he doesn't want you there.

Open and shut, I have No Idea why this keeps being brought up.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    Here is your law:

"The provisions of Subsection N of this Section shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section."

They don't have to let you in with your CCW.
    This. Make it a pissing contest and you willget soaked.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    SpeedRacer has it right. No telling what an officer (depends on the quality of his training) would charge you with, but by the time everything is sorted out, you'd be facing a trespass charge, not a "gun free" zone federal or state felony, but it will cost you time and money most of us would rather invest in something else.

sillyolbutt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    you may end up finding something you like better and trading it. but i mean, why even carry into a room filled with guns? nothing bad is gonna happen. too many good guys with tables full of guns

Top Bottom