Curious: Carry at Home Reasons

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Just last year in Beauregard town (by police HQ) a man stormed the front door and shot a woman dead. It can and does happen.

I wouldn't call the pair that perpetrated that crime men.

They kicked down the front door, shot a mom dead, put five rounds of 9mm in her daughter (about nine yrs old) and made off with a flat screen, on their bicycles. One was caught, the other not.

I'll stop here before I write something that may come back to haunt me.

I carry at home.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Actually, this attitude is just part of the "dumbing-down" of the USA. You are a victim !

Most of our fellow men are a hell of a lot better than governmental bureaucrats !

We are all in the same boat and must trust one-another. Or, all is lost to our wanna-be eliteist masters !

Go meet your neighbor. Go to church and meet several neighbors. Go to a sporting event, BBQ, crawfish boil, or neighborhood bar and meet your neighbors.

You will be pleasantly surprised.

Our "FELLOW MAN" is not the problem !

leVieux

Seriously?

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Not on me but one isn't far away. I wear enough crap on my person at work, when I'm home I want to be comfortable. I'm not going to lay on the couch watching TV in jeans, belt, and G26.

tigers2011

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    My reason for carrying at home is because I lost a good friend from a home invasion. About a year an half ago in the gentily area of New Orleans, 5 armed pieces of sh*t kicked down the front door of his house and when they saw him and his roomates home, they opened fire. One roomate was shot twice but he survived this incidence. My friend Chad ran down the hallway towards his bedroom where he kept his LOADED GLOCK. While on the way to his room he was shot twice in the back which prevented him from making it to his bedroom. He made it into the bathroom where he later died. The moral of this story is that having a gun in your bedroom was to far away to save his life. Because of this, I am always carrying while in my home. RIP Chad Huth

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2010/04/chad-huth.html

LongGoneDays

Mine. Not yours.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Shreveport, LA
    Uh yeah the Glock goes with me when I take a bath. Bathing & sleeping are very vulnerable times, and when I'm sleeping in the tub I'm really vulnerable. I won't take a bath at night in a house by myself because in a lot of houses you can tell from outside that someone is taking a bath.

They know you are alone, no clothes, wet and unarmed, what better time to bust in. Sure it is a small chance of a small chance, but it's not really that big of an effort on my part to take it off and set it down in the bathroom than it is in my bedroom. Plus I've got my eyes on it for other reasons.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    Sometimes I carry at home because I like to. There's nothing wrong with that IMO.

Many people take on much larger burdens in their lives just because they enjoy them.

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    I keep my HK P7 on my hip when at home because

1) It's the safest place for it.
    2) So I won't forget it when I leave the house.
    3) So I won't forget where I left it when I do want to leave the house.
    4) So I will have it on me when I take the trash out and other times when I momentarily step outside and could possibly run into a bad creature (human or otherwise).
    5) Just because you never know.

+1 My feelings exactly.

aherring1983

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I carry all the time except of course where I'm not allowed too, I carry at home due to the fact that once I was assaulted in my own yard be a drunk neighbor who is generally a great guy except or the few times a year that he drinks, my carry gun was inside and I had to resort to hands on with him, luckily I was able to grab my baton from my car since he easily outweighs me by 150 pounds,,, but since then I have a gun of some kind on me all the time.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    My gun is no different than my wallet. I take my wallet out of my pocket sometimes and lay it on my desk. Some of the time I don't and leave it in my pocket. Same goes for gun.
    Most of the time I'm not overtly cognizant that I'm carrying. The same way I'm not always aware I have my watch on or my pants. It's just not really an issue either way.

To be completely honest, for me, at home, it's a comfort issue. But I carry in a holster that's is very unobtrusive, so the gun mostly stays on mostly.

Last edited:

Gbav1

Concealed Carrier
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Marrero,La.
    If you have a CCP, carry all the time. Period..... The one time your not, is the time your going to need it.
    I live in a nice area, and one of my neighbors got held up while mowing his front lawn. Crime of oppertunity. He was consetrating on his lawn, not who was rolling down the street ...............I carry a S&W 380 bodyguard in a DeSanti holster. Very light.
    If I know I am going somewhere that is know for trouble, I bring my Glock 26

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    I don't carry at home but there is always one nearby. I do carry when going outside, mainly because I may randomly feel the need to shoot something, or see a snake or armadillo. I live in the country and can shoot on my property safely anytime. So I usually randomly do.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Where I live we prepare for meteor strikes, because they're more likely to occur than some miscreant coming into the neighborhood and attempting to burglarize a house or commit a violent crime. The cops would swarm them before they got one block into the neighborhood. The cops are really that close all the time, and the neighbors always call when we see people who don't live here. The police ALWAYS respond in numbers. I live in a good neighborhood. I recently got a police report of the calls to which they responded (including all crimes) with a half mile of my house. The worst thing that happened was a couple car break-ins at night. Cars were on the street most likely. On the other hand the police responded to a whole butt-load of suspicious persons calls and burglar alarms.

It's damned inconvenient to carry a gun around all the time. They bump into things and scratch your expensive furniture, plus they're a real pain every time you "visit the facility" or work outdoors and get sweaty. They ruin any nice belts from their weight. Unless I'm working on the car, doing carpentry, or some such I don't wear t-shirts and crappy clothes anymore. Guns and nice clothes are difficult to reconcile. If there was a reason to carry one I would, but where I live it's just not necessary.

Nice neighborhoods are indeed where the money is, but it's also where the police are. Last week some of the neighbors floated the idea of creating a tax district for our neighborhood in order to raise $240 per house per year to pay for patrols of the neighborhood. Not a bad idea if you ask me.

Well hey there ya go...more police = more safety, wouldn't be long that we could just turn in our guns and trust our government ...thanks for the eye opener

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    My gun is no different than my wallet. I take my wallet out of my pocket sometimes and lay it on my desk. Some of the time I don't and leave it in my pocket. Same goes for gun.
    Most of the time I'm not overtly cognizant that I'm carrying. The same way I'm not always aware I have my watch on or my pants. It's just not really an issue either way.

To be completely honest, for me, at home, it's a comfort issue. But I carry in a holster that's is very unobtrusive, so the gun mostly stays on mostly.

Sort of my position, also I do it to keep acclimated to being uncomfortable. The more you wear it the less you notice it.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sort of my position, also I do it to keep acclimated to being uncomfortable. The more you wear it the less you notice it.

I'm along the same vein, but more of the "flip side".

It never comes off because most of the time, I don't notice it's there (anymore).

If, God forbid, the worst case scenario happens and I find myself needing the thing but not wearing it, you can guarantee I won't realize it's missing until the point of my drawstroke where the web of my palm hits the tang. They'll bury me with an "Oh &$%^!" face for sure.

Top Bottom