Deal Gone Bad, Need BS members opinion

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Hot Pepper

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Pearland,TX
    Who's responsible?

If someone ships a package to another person thru USPS with delivery confirmation and a package weight and the person receiving the package claims to have received an empty package who's responsible? what would you guys do in this case as either the shipper or the receiver?

Company Man

Teufel Hunden
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Kentwood
    Sorry for long read....

A fellow BS member posted some BCG's for sale and I ended up buying 2 from him.
    I made payment by Paypal and added $10.00 for shipping.
    Seller is <100 miles away, so $10.00 was sufficient for proper shipping.

Same day I purchased the BCG's from this member I also purchased one off eBay.
    Well, 2 packages came in on the same day. One from eBay seller and one from BS member.
    Both were priority USPS boxes.
    But after doing trades and being a former power seller on eBay, I found the 2 packages weights were much different. The BS member box was lighter (2 BCG purchase) than the eBay purchase (1 BCG purchase), so I opened the eBay box first and was happy to see my new BCG.
    Next was the BS members box. Realizing something was wrong, I took pictures of the box and video taped the opening of the box (which I can send to anyone wanting to see it).
    After opening the box, I removed 2 pieces of newspaper but NO BCG's.
    Before anyone asks, NO the package was not insured.
    I contacted member and told him of the situation, he immediately responded with concern and contacted post office.
    After a few days of this, there has been no closure or attempt to come to an agreement on this situation.
    The BS member has receipt that shows the weight of package when sent, but I told him it was the sellers responsibility to make sure the buyer receives the items and that I am still owed my money back or something of similar value.

I am not calling the member out at this time, as he seems to be trying but is just not well versed in the proper protocol of online deals. So I wanted to know what everyone thinks about this situation.

I do not believe that I am being unfair in my request, and sent enough money for insurance.

I know the USPS is notorious for things turning up missing after items have been put in their hands. But since no insurance was on the package, I know they could care less about the situation. But in the end, responsibility is still on seller/shipper to insure the items arrive to buyer in my opinion.

John aka Company Man

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    If mailing something of that kind of value seller should have insured. Now he's stuck with no BCG and needs to give you back your money.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I knew it was a matter of time before something would happen on here. Since the panic there has been SO many new members selling things at inflated prices. I dont know if your seller was a new guy or not....I have not bothered looking for the ad yet. I hope he is a fair man and does what is right in this matter.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    In what context was this transaction (Ebay, forum F/S thread, internet business, etc.) ?
    What was the means of payment ?

:)

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    Two threads on this same question. Guess I know who was involved. IMO, the seller is responsible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

blakegill66

Don't tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Metairie
    Seller is responsible especially if the item was not insured. This is what I do every day (ship parts worth tens of thousands of $) if we ship something without insurance and shipment goes bad 100% sellers responsibility

TruBrew

Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    New Orleans, La
    Do USPS priority packages display the weight. I know weight is not a factor in the cost, but I was just curious, as that would show if the seller had intent to defraud or not. Even if the post office did steal the item, I believe it is the sellers responsibility to guarantee arrival of the purchased goods.

Last edited:

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Contact USPS, they may ask for a copy of the receipt.

Try to work it out before opening a case/claim with Paypal.

:)

blakegill66

Don't tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Metairie
    Agreed first contact postal service and see if it is fraud on sellers part or shipping company but regardless it is sellers responsibility to find the lost item

Hot Pepper

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Pearland,TX
    I'm not envolved in the transaction, heard it from a friend. It's a tough situation for both people, I'm certain that in the end the problem will be resolved. There's a huge trust factor needed to complete transactions off of forums like this one.

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    Two posts by separate members in this same subject. Not hard to determine the involved parties. That being said, the seller is at fault and should return the funds to the buyer. Expensive lesson in why you should buy insurance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    My opinion? Worth as much as you paid but......

If you bought something for a stated price (ie: I'm selling a part for $50 shipped) and I ship it uninsured then its my (the sellers) fault.

If you bought something online from a company and turned down insurance in the checkout process then its your (the buyers) fault if something happens during transit.

sawgrass

Hunka Hunka burning lead.
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Hammond
    I think the only solution to the problem, for you and the seller, can be focused on one word.......INSURANCE. Why was the package not insured if you sent enough funds and the seller was instructed to use those funds for an insured shipment? If the seller knew he was to ship the package insured and did not, then, I feel that he is 100% responsible and should replace the items or refund your money. USPS happens and that is why insurance in necessary to protect both of you. My humble opinion is only based on the information you have provided and is only worth what you have paid for it. Hope you both can resolve this amicably.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Seller. Receives partial or full payment sometimes early as a good faith measure.

He provides the service from start to finish.

That's what she said. :)

Company Man

Teufel Hunden
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Kentwood
    Just curious...Did the package look tampered with any way, shape or form?

The small folding priority boxes they use close into it own slots. To get the box open on the ends, it would require meticulous care as it would be very easy to tear the box (which box was not torn). Very hard for me to say yes or no to that question, but I do feel like it was tampered with at some point, just nothing obvious to point at.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jgwick
    Top Bottom