Door Kicked In But ........ (right forum?)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    Thanks. Hopefully he'll be more helpful than the current crop of answers. It was a legitimate question. Not blaming cops or civil rights infringement. A logical, legitimate question. If you don't know, just say so. Snarkiness won't keep someone from getting hurt if an intruder identifying himself as a cop breaks down your door....
    I don't know why this happens, but I can sympathize with you. I guess attitudes would be different if SWAT or anybody else raided any of them by accident or misinformation. Til then, you can always start adding to your ignore list.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    "If they burst through the door yelling police and you don't have a gun in your hand, they already have the drop on you and running for a gun is going to get you killed no matter who they are.

If you happen to have a gun when they come through and they're cops, they're probably going to give you a very brief window to put it down before they drop you. If it's bad guys, they probably won't give you the chance to decide one way or another.

In this situation, imo, you're screwed. What can you do? "

and ...

"Yes, this has been discussed numerous times. And it never ends well.

Bottom line is...there's NOTHING you can do. If it's the real popo's and you come at them armed, your ass is going down. If it's fake popo's and you don't come at them armed, your ass is likely going down. Sorry, but you're screwed either way.

The GOOD news is, the chances of a) people posing as a SWAT team kicking in your door and b) a real SWAT team kicking in your door without just cause are both virtually zero. Time would literally be better spent discussing how to avoid being struck by lightning or eaten by a shark."

THIS is what I was looking for. Thank you for your thoughts on the situation. See how easy that was? :D

Is it likely? Probably not. Is it even probable? Probably not, but I don't count on being car-jacked or hit by lightning, either. Getting others' thoughts on a very likely no-win situation is a good idea. I've read HERE where some won't even go to the bathroom or take a bath / shower without their weapon close by. Now that's the neighborhood I'd consider moving out from!!! :eek3:

Thanks for the thoughts.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    There are way too many factors and variables to give absolutes on it.

JR1572

But I wasn't looking for "absolutes." Just some others' ideas / thoughts on a high probability NO-WIN situation, that's all. Don't expect it to happen but I'd like some other input then my own for maybe having a better chance of getting out alive if it ever DOES happen.

FishingBack

Slave to Society
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    There are some things that can help.

1. Secure the doors. The real cops won't be using a foot so if they bust down a good door, you know it's cops.
    2. Setup your home to view the road/driveway out front. I can see who pulls up outside. If a SWAT van pulls up and black ninjas of justice hop out, I'm on the ground before they even gain entry.
    3. While sleeping it's a different story, and you just have to hope you aren't screwed.

And of course it's not likely, just scary.

Captain_Morgan

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I can see the street from my bedroom. First, I'd look outside to see flashing lights or police vehicles. That should be all I need to make an immediate decision while my wife has already begun dialing 911.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Do some of you guys really lose sleep worrying about crap like this?

Because they can. Oh, they also believe that the government's boogie men are out to get them.

Seriously ladies and gentlemen, there are several people on here that conduct and plan these types of operations. In the spirit of OPSEC, these methods are best not discussed on the Internet. However, some of y'all's worries are a little bit "extreme" to say the least.

JR1572

espresso

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Dutchtown La.
    I've read HERE where some won't even go to the bathroom or take a bath / shower without their weapon close by. Now that's the neighborhood I'd consider moving out from!!! :eek3:

Yeah I'm scratching my head- people who shower with a gun at arms reach are "prepared" but somehow you are an idiot for asking a "what if" question? I don't get it.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Yeah I'm scratching my head- people who shower with a gun at arms reach are "prepared" but somehow you are an idiot for asking a "what if" question? I don't get it.

I guess it's relevant to WHAT you are preparing for. Just like some guys are prepared for the zombie apocalypse but couldn't make it through a hurricane.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    Do some of you guys really lose sleep worrying about crap like this?.

Nah, just wanted some others' input for reference. I actually feel very, very safe where I live (no gun while showering...:D). But why not ask for input? There have been recent news stories of SWAT-ting (malicious 911 calls reporting crimes just to get someone you dislike / disagree with) so I thought it a good idea to have some reference for the unthinkable becoming thinkable. Nobody I know dislikes me enough to bring this down on me but ya never know....filing for future reference can't hurt.

Ironman26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Patterson, La
    There are some things that can help.

1. Secure the doors. The real cops won't be using a foot so if they bust down a good door, you know it's cops.
    2. Setup your home to view the road/driveway out front. I can see who pulls up outside. If a SWAT van pulls up and black ninjas of justice hop out, I'm on the ground before they even gain entry.
    3. While sleeping it's a different story, and you just have to hope you aren't screwed.

And of course it's not likely, just scary.
    +1

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I have actually gone with the plan of securing the door.

I mounted some stainless strap and a 1" rigid pipe for a crossbar. This door won't be kikked, if it's real cops this gives me a chance to lay on the floor and cry like a little girl so they won't shoot me.

All I ever wanted out of the no nok arguments is time to determine if the intruders are real cops.

The securing door trick will do that.

As to unannounced intruders breaking into a real innocent persons house ... just don't let it happen, the decked is seriously stacked in favor of LE.

Or post a picture of Judge Napalitiano on your door.

Any Questions ?

YrdawgTribute.jpg

Top Bottom