Family dog breeds

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    This was Piper her daddy was a BRPD K-9 named Reject.

Piper.jpg

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    I am kind of in the same boat that you are in Cat. I want my wife to get a dog to keep her company while I am overseas and also to help protect the house. But I also dont want her to get something that is going to hate me when I come home, I would to have to shoot it.

I am looking at getting a lab when I get home for good but I dont want it at the house while I am away because it will become HER dog. I dont want to spend a grand on a hunting dog that is only going to sit around and be a lazy house dog. Besides from my understanding labs are not the greatest guard dogs.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Well... Whatever it will be, Spec wants it under 50 lbs. actually he'd prefer 25 or less because he knows where it'll sleep. ;)

I think we might end up with a tiny little "ugly dachshund".

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    Well... Whatever it will be, Spec wants it under 50 lbs. actually he'd prefer 25 or less because he knows where it'll sleep. ;)

I think we might end up with a tiny little "ugly dachshund".

My wife has been looking at this, Neapolitan Mastiff. But I think that is just a bit to big and to many health problems. Especially considering that they are not good with extreme heat and drool all over.

neapolitanmastiffAdamoOct20031.jpg

800px-Cannon_-_Male_Neapolitan_Mastiff_1998.jpeg

And the fact that they get up to 200lbs.!!!! I am out!! You know what a poop from something that sized would look like, god forbid it had diarrhea!! :puke:

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    My wife has been looking at this, Neapolitan Mastiff. But I think that is just a bit to big and to many health problems. Especially considering that they are not good with extreme heat and drool all over.

And the fact that they get up to 200lbs.!!!! I am out!! You know what a poop from something that sized would look like, god forbid it had diarrhea!! :puke:

When my lab is no longer with us I will be getting an English Mastiff. It's hard enough having an 85 lb lab sneak in the bed at night, I don't think a 150-200 lb Mastiff trying to get in there too would work well.

ETA: I do love our little rat terrier and Chi-weenie, but the rat is not cat friendly, if that matters.

Last edited:

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    the only other small dog that I might consider is a basenji. They are not really "small", they get about 20-25lbs. Great protection for small dogs but they dont bark.... never bark. When they need to alert they have a yodel type bark. When we get a bigger place I am thinking about getting one. They have lots of energy and are very strong for its size. Alot of people say they are cat like and goom themselves a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vKcRDJ1nXk&feature=related

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Australian Cattle Dog is a nice, hardy, long-lived dog. They are supposedly "one person" or "one family" dogs. I know only one. He belongs to a rodeo family and they named him "Spurs". He was so loveable that I secretly wanted him. They eventually gave him to his wife's mother and he gets along with the pre-existing cat.

Again, ONE example.

Keep in mind that animals have their own personalities so while one is "great" a litter mate will be "more or less so". Some will be atypical - I know families with Irish Terriers - and cats! Working Pit Bulldogs and - other dogs. How you socialize them plays a large role. Yes, if the cats really attacks one of the Irish Terriers it would probably die. Same with the non-Bulldogs running around my buddy's place. The thing is the other pets' personalities and the dogs' unique personality and socialization compliment each other.

Hogin

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    Independence LA

Skip the Neapolitan Mastiff and go with the Boerboel. They dont drool, (except after drinking a bucket of water :) ) Only bark when danger is present or approaching. Mine sleeps in her own dog bed. And she uses the neighbors field for bathroom facilities :) (thank god)

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Since you're down in Louisiana it would be no problem to obtain a good working bloodline American Bulldog.

Hard to beat that and only 85 to 95 lbs. More than enough to stop a human from messing with you, very athletic, fearless and still good with family.

They aren't expensive, either.

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    Cat, there is ONLY one choice! A beautiful FEMALE Robust and powerful, the Rottweiler is happiest when given a job to perform. their intelligence, endurance and willingness to work make them suitable as a police dog, herder, service dog, therapy dog, obedience competitor and devoted companion. An inherent protector, the Rottweiler is self-confident and responds quietly and with a wait-and-see attitude to influences in his environment.
    Most quality bred females range in weight from 85-110lbs. EXCELLENT all around animal for what you are looking for!! PERIOD!! Not to mention they just intimidate the **** out of just about ANY visitor, including friends or strangers!!!

KT

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    English bulldogs are awesome, but unless your the luckiest person in the world to find one in a shelter, they are rediculously expensive, even ones without health issues have got to be the gassiest dogs I've ever seen/smelled. My friends can clear a whole house.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Standard poodle, does anyone have experience with them?

I have one that I've had for a few years, we had a couple of smaller poodles when I was a kid and an uncle had two Poodles when I was younger. Excellent dogs, they don't shed and have little dander, BUT you have to clip then every so often. I clip the weasel ever 4 mos and only bath him every two. He's not outside constantly though, he's more an insider. My mom has a puppy from the same breeder he's more socialized so more, um, exuberant.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
      photo.jpg
      59.2 KB · Views: 33

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    You could go with a labradoodle... I hear they are even hypoallergenic...

Tom, you're talking about a Westie (West Highland Scottish Terrier)?

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1333923810.847036.jpg

This is what I saw this morning while biking through Indy. It's what is called an "American Mastiff" (English Mastiff crossed with an Anatolian Sheepdog - a mastiff breed). This 18 month old stands forty (40) inches at the shoulder and weighs 195 lbs! Lean, long-legged and light on his feet I think this would make a nice dog - certainly nicer than an English Mastiff or Neopolitan.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    View attachment 25214

This is what I saw this morning while biking through Indy. It's what is called an "American Mastiff" (English Mastiff crossed with an Anatolian Sheepdog - a mastiff breed). This 18 month old stands forty (40) inches at the shoulder and weighs 195 lbs! Lean, long-legged and light on his feet I think this would make a nice dog - certainly nicer than an English Mastiff or Neopolitan.

A little O/T but if you're in Indy, one word. Papa Reaux.

Top Bottom