Handgun for a woman

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gandog56

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2013
    Mobile, AL.
    I am not one of those guys that think a female needs a smaller weaker gun. Get her a .357 mag snubby and have her practice using .38 special cartridges if you thinks she would need one. She shouldn't, but I practice with .38's because it's cheaper, not because of .357 magnum recoil.

I mean my last girlfriend fired my .454 Casull with no problems.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    .45-70 Derringer might be a good option......... :o

She needs to shoot and try out options. After trying several options, my wife decided on a lightweight .38 Special. Some wives like a Glock 19.

Darkwolf99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Bossier City
    My wife has a G26, S&W Bodyguard .380 and S&W Airweight .38 to choose from. She is still waiting for her CCW but at least she has choices for what she is wearing when she goes out. If you can, get with friends and see if you can shoot what they have. My wife found out what she liked and didn't like.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Every women that has shot my Bersa, has fallen deeply in love with it,....go figure. Not getting into the "firepower" argument...

Then again just picked up one of these the other day, and I got to tell you it is a fine ass gun, can't believe no one is making a modern version.

1910nervead_zpsa470f397.gif

No firepower argument from me. She can deliver 8 shots on target (torso area) wIthin 20 feet wIth her Bersa and even better wIth the Beretta. She likes her Bersa so that's her go to. The Beretta handles fine for her but a bit on the bulky side so her confidence in it isn't 100% like it is with the Bersa. Outside of her .380 she has two 9mm choices....92fs & G19. Since she doesn't like the Glock (which is usually with me anyway), she gravitates towards the Beretta as her second gun. She also has a 20ga. Mossy 500 and a Marlin Camp 9 if things get desperate.

Last edited:

chipss36

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2013
    church point
    why is it that guys tend to want to put tiny pretty guns in ladies hands? I was at the range, and this guy and two lades walk in, he was pushing this tiny little gun,I suppose trying to sell it to her, she fired it, did not like it, then it jammed on her, he just kept pushing it, she flat out told him that thing jammed on me I don't trust it....was thinking smart move lady, it was none of my busness I suppose, I think it was a 380 auto chrome plated something or other, not the first time I have seen something like this. I find larger frames easy to shoot, vrs tiny ones, I think the best idea would be go to a range that rents em, and let them shoot, give sound advice about recoil and caliber, anyway same guy started telling her she did not need a big powerful 9mm. she turned and rolled her eyes,both ladies seemed to handle every gun they shot well...and the guy had a few, I so wanted to ask her if she wanted to try one of my full size 45s, but I didn't, later she was at the counter looking at new 1911s, dude was still blabbing away, I bring this up only because I feel as men, at times we have to check are pride a little.
    my time in the service I have seen tons of woman outshoot men, even with the 50 cal, so you never know.

gcpatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    My wife purse carries with a purse from Gun Tot'n Mamas with a long strap that goes over to opposite shoulder. She purse carries a S&W M&P 12 round Compact 9mm. In her night stand is a Glock 19. She also likes shooting my 9mm Shield I bought for carry. She can shoot as well or better than most men and will also shoot my 1911's in .45acp, though not real fond of them. She has taken a number of handgun classes, most together, and we live in the country and shoot regularly. I'm trying to decide on an IWB holster for her M&P Compact. You know how women don't want to carry the same purse all the time, so she doesn't like carrying the gun purse everywhere as it's either too big or not the right color for what she wants to take.

jvr

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    new orleans
    you should take her to the range; let her fire a few of your hand guns and see what she gravitates to. maybe it will not be any. my wife and daughter do not carry guns. they do not have the heart or resolve to use them. they do carry pepper spray and i feel comfortable they will use it. (me an airweight 5 shot hammerless 38 is perfect) no jams; shot from the pocket or purse; no safety and very concealable.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Small hands, large hands, recoil sensitive, holster, concealed carry location, etc. Too many options and the best recommendation is to shoot as many different handguns as possible, pick one you are comfortable with shooting, and a gun that is fit for the intended purpose. I have small hands and am not recoil sensitive. Shooting any gun with double stack magazine is just not comfortable for me irrespective of the caliber. I carry a sub-compact 1911 45 ACP in the winter on my hip. In the summer I carry a sub-compact 1911 9mm in my pocket and in a pocket purposed holster. My daughter loves a double stack Glock 9mm and she shoots it very well. My wife shoots and carries a S&W air weight. Shooting +Ps out of the air weight kicks worse than my 460 Rowland.

If you carry a gun in a purse it should be in holster and preferably a pocket holster. I would recommend a laser on a concealed carry gun but not only for shooting. I've found lasers to be a first-class training tool. You unload the gun practice dry firing to fix trigger pull issues as well as recoil sensitivity.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have seen people that improperly learned to shoot only with a laser on their pistol and could not hit anything when the laser quit working.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I'm sure they hit something...... just not what they wanted to.

One was taught to shoot from the waist and when the laser quit working the shooter was hitting about 24" low from 10'. The shooter had never fired a gun from eye level before.

TAS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    My wife carried a Walther PK380. We got her that because the slide is way more easier for her to cycle than her .40 Baretta.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    My wife carried a Walther PK380. We got her that because the slide is way more easier for her to cycle than her .40 Baretta.

The Walther PK 380 has one of the easiest slides to cycle in the pistol world.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    My wife also has a Sig 938 and its a damn fine pistol. She can easily manipulate everything and shoot it well. I especially like the extended 7 round mag, it allows her a full hand grip and me to get my a little of my pinky on the mag lip. The beaver tail also does a great job of preventing the slide from bitting.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2014
    Zachary, Louisiana
    I would recommend either a S&W light weight .38 or Ruger LCR 38 caliber. My wife had a Ruger LCP .380 and found out that she could do better by way of her membership in "A Woman & A Gun" membership. She not only shot better but had less problem with loading. Also the 38 special is a much better self defense round with very manageable recoil, and very safe. Pull the trigger on a loaded round and it goes off. No fooling with a magazine or a slide. Immediately knows whether the gun is loaded or not simply by looking at the cylinder. I do not recommend carry in a purse, carry inside a pocket or concealed under a garment either on a belt or inside pants. I have no problem with an slide action in fact have several and carry a Glock 23 in .40 cal. but my experience shows that most women do better with a small caliber revolver.

Top Bottom