Handgun for a woman

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I once asked my girlfriend to come clean some shotguns with me. It was like asking her to touch a snake. The no came very quickly.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    For the ultimate in feminine concealability, there is always the Nort American Arms micro revolver, perfect for bodily oriface carry..:rofl:
    (That story from the news not too long ago)

My wife likes the M&P 9mm, but she is not a concealed carry person. It's a bedside, underseat gun.
    She used to use my Glock 23 until I bought that one. I figured it would be more comfortable for her to shoot, and she agrees.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Most guys I know agree to do all the gun cleaning if the significant other doesn't complain much about gun buys and excessive range days :P

This is the truth. I've taken to telling my fiancé that I'm putting together a rifle for her to match her glock(a gen 4 FDE 19). This gave me a convenient excuse to get another rifle on top of the one I am putting together for her. Gun/ammo purchase agreements are serious business. I'm sure they pull the same tricks with us, but I'm sure they're better at it.

Last edited:

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    Get that young lady out shooting!!! If presented with a number of options to shoot, it won't take long and she will be able to tell you what SHE wants to carry.

+1

Also is she willing to put in extra time to practice, test ammo, etc. with a semi-auto, or should she stick to a revolver?

My wife enjoys shooting my Polish P-64 9mm mak semi but has had enough recoil after about 18 rounds. I bought a Czech VZ 50 semi in 32 ACP (both are Walther PPK size/style). The slide, safety, and decocker of the VZ operate easily. The mags are easy to load. I wanted her just to be able to shoot alot and have fun with the gun. 32 ACP is weak on stopping power but its nice for fun and practice.

Last edited:

jcbvh

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Louisiana
    Thanks guys. I think a trip to Cabelas is in order to see what she likes, and feels comfortable with.

Then we will go from there.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    My wife started out with nothing (former liberal gun hating Canadian cosmopolitan socialite Montrealer) now she owns a Bersa .380 and handles my "house gun" (Beretta 92fs) like a pro.

allen1911

Realist
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Chalmette
    My wife started as a gun hater too. Born in Hollywood, CA. Now she enjoys shooting, surprisingly my full size 1911 .45acp most of all, says the recoil is smoother. The only drawback is that she won't put in the time to train herself to sweep the safety off. I have a S&W M&P9 for her house gun, she likes the way it feels and the mild recoil of the 9mm in a full size gun. She didn't like the snubbie .38spl at all.

GaryCCR

Off target
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Westbank, La
    My wife loves her alum framed Sig P238. Shes shoots it very accurately and it is light and small enough, but built solidly and little felt recoil. She also likes my cz82, but preders the P238.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    +1

Also is she willing to put in extra time to practice, test ammo, etc. with a semi-auto, or should she stick to a revolver?

My wife enjoys shooting my Polish P-64 9mm mak semi but has had enough recoil after about 18 rounds. I bought a Czech VZ 50 semi in 32 ACP (both are Walther PPK size/style). The slide, safety, and decocker of the VZ operate easily. The mags are easy to load. I wanted her just to be able to shoot alot and have fun with the gun. 32 ACP is weak on stopping power but its nice for fun and practice.

The P-64 and every common 32 acp I can think of are direct blow back opposed to a locking breech design. Between the lower weight and the blow back action you can wind up with a gun that has a more "snappy" recoil than a 9mm or larger.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    My wife started out with nothing (former liberal gun hating Canadian cosmopolitan socialite Montrealer) now she owns a Bersa .380 and handles my "house gun" (Beretta 92fs) like a pro.

Every women that has shot my Bersa, has fallen deeply in love with it,....go figure. Not getting into the "firepower" argument...

Then again just picked up one of these the other day, and I got to tell you it is a fine ass gun, can't believe no one is making a modern version.

1910nervead_zpsa470f397.gif

Last edited:

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    The P-64 and every common 32 acp I can think of are direct blow back opposed to a locking breech design. Between the lower weight and the blow back action you can wind up with a gun that has a more "snappy" recoil than a 9mm or larger.

Your correct, the P-64 (9mm Mak) is pretty snappy, but the VZ 50 (32 apc) isn't. I've put a few kids behind the the VZ, age 10 and up, and they all enjoyed shooting it. The VZ does have slightly larger grips and 1/4" longer barrel (3 1/2"). In the VZ a mag can be emptied really fast, it doesn't take long to get the sights back on target.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Your correct, the P-64 (9mm Mak) is pretty snappy, but the VZ 50 (32 apc) isn't. I've put a few kids behind the the VZ, age 10 and up, and they all enjoyed shooting it. The VZ does have slightly larger grips and 1/4" longer barrel (3 1/2"). In the VZ a mag can be emptied really fast, it doesn't take long to get the sights back on target.

I'm not sure I have ever come across a VZ 50, they are nice looking little guns.

Surprising what those vodka soaked commies can do!

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    I'm not sure I have ever come across a VZ 50, they are nice looking little guns.

Surprising what those vodka soaked commies can do!

Century Arms International has them, can't get a price unless your a registered dealer. I bought mine at a gun show for $200 with a holster.

I'm a fan of Czech guns and bakelight, esp Czech bakelight with the translucent plastic and wood chips.

Top Bottom