Handgun for a woman

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    The Shield is a single stack, that's what my fiancée shoots. Personally, I didn't like the texture on the XDS grip, which is why I passed it up.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Thanks for the info. Gonna hafta take the lady shopping again. Darn it!!!

I'm not sure where you are in the state, but there should be someone from bayoushooter around you that may be willing to go to the range with you and your wife and let her actually shoot the guns instead of just hold them. It will certainly give her a better idea of what she does and does not like. She might light that it's nice and light in the store, but hate it when she finds out the recoil is not manageable.

The best advice was from Vanilla Gorilla. Get her into an introduction to defensive pistol course where she will learn good fundamentals and able to build up from there.

If you're on the north shore, I recommend Barrett (Bearco on here... and he's a sponsor). Very laid back and not intimidating. He will go slow with her and make sure she understands what she's doing. My wife did the intro and CCP class with Barrett and really enjoyed it.

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    I'm not sure where you are in the state, but there should be someone from bayoushooter around you that may be willing to go to the range with you and your wife and let her actually shoot the guns instead of just hold them. It will certainly give her a better idea of what she does and does not like. She might light that it's nice and light in the store, but hate it when she finds out the recoil is not manageable.

The best advice was from Vanilla Gorilla. Get her into an introduction to defensive pistol course where she will learn good fundamentals and able to build up from there.

If you're on the north shore, I recommend Barrett (Bearco on here... and he's a sponsor). Very laid back and not intimidating. He will go slow with her and make sure she understands what she's doing. My wife did the intro and CCP class with Barrett and really enjoyed it.
    I'm in Cypress Tx. and we were already toying with the idea of taking a class similar to that at Hot Wells shooting range. I guess we just need to pull the trigger on that, so to speak.

Rhandhali

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    New Orleans
    I got my sister set up with a S&W 638 with one of the Vanguard holsters for her purse. She'd never really fired a gun before and absolutely hated them before moving out on her own for the first time to another state. Then all of a sudden she's asking me about getting a carry permit and what kind of gun to get. The 638 is light and small and she has no trouble with the recoil and the vanguard means there's basically no way anything's going to snag the trigger in her purse. Being .38 special means that wal-mart actually has practice ammo in stock.

I got her set up with a training class since she's in Kentucky for the time being and she's supposed to get her Kentucky CDW before moving to Arkansas.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I got my sister set up with a S&W 638 with one of the Vanguard holsters for her purse. She'd never really fired a gun before and absolutely hated them before moving out on her own for the first time to another state. Then all of a sudden she's asking me about getting a carry permit and what kind of gun to get. The 638 is light and small and she has no trouble with the recoil and the vanguard means there's basically no way anything's going to snag the trigger in her purse. Being .38 special means that wal-mart actually has practice ammo in stock.

I got her set up with a training class since she's in Kentucky for the time being and she's supposed to get her Kentucky CDW before moving to Arkansas.

As soon as she completes her course and gets her permit she NEEDS to get comfortable wearing her pistol.

Rhandhali

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    New Orleans
    As soon as she completes her course and gets her permit she NEEDS to get comfortable wearing her pistol.

That's pretty much what I told her. I know the instructor she's using up there, she's the same one I used when I got my permit and she's really good. I told my sister to start carrying it in her purse as soon as she has the permit(I don't think she's going to go the belt route) and keep her purse on her at all times. My biggest worry if she does need her weapon she's going to think of it more as a deterrent than being prepared to pull the trigger right away.

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    My wife likes the feel of the Sig P938 and P238 in her hand with the extended mag option, so she's really leaning toward one of those. What are the advantages/disadvantages of 9mm vs .380 cal? I've never owned a .380 but I have several 9mm guns and lots of 9mm target ammo.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    You really need to get her something that holds 15 rounds of .45 and at least three spare mags. You never know when the Russian Army is going to get into a movie-style shoot out with her at the mall.

Taking my tongue out of my cheek, I say, with input from my dad who has been an LEO for over 25 years (and often carries a Beretta 84 .380 off duty), at the ranges you'd be using such a weapon, a .380 or .38 will get the job done just fine. The only reason I'm leaning towards another 9 for myself over a .380 is because ammo is cheaper, easier to find, and I've already got plenty of it. I don't really want to add a fourth handgun caliber to my ammo shopping list.

Also, just something I've been thinking about while toying with the idea of a .40 concealed carry, extra power is nice, but too much penetration could be a very bad thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SSWEEEE
    Top Bottom