Hog hunting in Pearl River WMA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Was wondering how you guys get your hogs out the woods ? We killed 2 very large white hogs a few years back on three rivers wma and it was like dragging 3 bags of cement each . And hell that's when I was working for Kentwood spring water humping 250 5 gal. bottles a day a those 2 hogs almost killed us getting them out .

Do what the federal government SHOULD do; downsize that trough feeder! Field dress for starters (you can rinse the mud or cut away anything you don't want later). Then cut away anything you don't need/want; like the head. That thing can weigh 25lbs (half bag of cement :p), on a big pig.

Need to go further, cut out the back straps, and the haunches; and bring a large knapsack when you hunt. Hell, have everyone bring one. After all; what do you care about brining a whole pig in tact? To show your friends? Take a picture is easier; and pigs are a dime a dozen.

Then there is this (if you can't help yourself):

- - - Updated - - -

I'm interested in a possible group. If there's anything I can do to help the group stand up, please let me know. Additionally, I'm fairly positive that I have some military friends who would be interested as well.

Did you send him a pm? That's what I would do! ;)

oscar615

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    SE LA
    I thought the rifle season was a deer thing. And you could use rifles year round for hogs.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    I thought the rifle season was a deer thing. And you could use rifles year round for hogs.

Not in WMA's. Only during open season and with whatever weapon is legal for the open season. You may not hunt hogs during spring squirrel or turkey season on WMA's either.

During small game season I will use 12ga 3.5" Turkey Rounds with #4 lead and an extra full turkey tube. It's VERY effective within 30 yards. I am convinced that setup hurts the shooter as badly as it hurts the hog however.

Royst

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2013
    Slidell
    I agree with Freedive if your going try and go by boat to a remote location. Too many people hunting the roads

dglough

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Mandeville, LA
    Also interested in going with a group. Don't have a boat to pitch in with but have plenty of hog experience and would be interested in trying my hand at taking one down with a rimfire. I would suggest .17 HMR over a dang 12g though.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I agree with Freedive if your going try and go by boat to a remote location. Too many people hunting the roads

If there is still a group forming for hog hunting out there I would love to get involved with that.

Me too. I had not heard about this group.

Interested as well! Send me a message if its still in the works!!!

Also interested in the group as well.

Also interested in going with a group. Don't have a boat to pitch in with but have plenty of hog experience and would be interested in trying my hand at taking one down with a rimfire. I would suggest .17 HMR over a dang 12g though.

Guys; get in touch with each other. Pitch in and rent a boat if you have to. You don't have to run all the way from hwy. 90. There is a very secluded boat ramp right before the Stennis gate on the first exit over the bridge on I-10.

Hell, you can paddle an old flat boat or a canoe straight across if you want.

Between the 6 of you or any combination thereof, you can pool your resources and your money to get it done.

Remember this "original" quote by the Emperor; and ask yourself: "Pu$$y or pioneer?"

Last edited:

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Not in WMA's. Only during open season and with whatever weapon is legal for the open season. You may not hunt hogs during spring squirrel or turkey season on WMA's either.

During small game season I will use 12ga 3.5" Turkey Rounds with #4 lead and an extra full turkey tube. It's VERY effective within 30 yards. I am convinced that setup hurts the shooter as badly as it hurts the hog however.
    Nail Gun is correct, However right now in PRWMA it is primitive arms only for 2 weeks !

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    So we can go out there with our 45/70s, 35 Whelens or 444s? That is better than taking rimfires!

Yes if they are primitive arms by LADWF definition. Breech loading single shot with an exposed hammer. And you have a Primitive arms license along with a WMA permit. And if your not furmiliar with PRWMA bring a compass and the ability to use it ! LOL

Last edited:

stancel

Swamp Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Carriere, MS
    I have been going about every other weekend. I have found it to be a pretty slow season actually. See tons of hog trails, and scat that makes me think I missed them by a few hours, but haven't found many. Jumped a group of them a few times when I had my 22 mag, but couldn't take a shot. I have been hunting that WMA for 25 years, and ever since they let the damn dog hunters loose on the hogs, each year has gotten harder.

If yall get a group together let me know. I know some spots with lots of hog traffic, or maybe somebody else knows a place. I prefer boat, but know a few spots where you can walk in as well.

snappa001

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2009
    Kenner

Nail Gun is correct, However right now in PRWMA it is primitive arms only for 2 weeks !

Regulations for hogs on certain WMA's (PRMA is included) states that hogs may be taken during any legal hunting season. This rule was amended this year with no further exceptions about spring squirrel/turkey hunting seasons noted. Therefore, a shotgun (w/ proper shot) is legal anytime and a .22 rim-fire is permissible throughout squirrel season.

Feral Hogs (page 47)

Feral hogs may be taken during any legal
    hunting season on WMAs by properly
    licensed and/or permitted hunters bearing a
    license and gear legal for specified seasons
    in progress
    . Hogs may not be taken with
    the aid of dogs, EXCEPT feral hogs may
    be taken with the aid of dogs during the
    month of February on Attakapas, Bodcau,
    Boeuf, Clear Creek, Dewey Wills, Jackson-
    Bienville, Little River, Pearl River, Richard
    K. Yancey, Sabine, Sabine Island, and West
    Bay WMAs by self-clearing permit. All
    hogs must be killed immediately and may
    not be transported live under any conditions,
    EXCEPT as allowed by permit from
    either the Minden, Lake Charles, Monroe,
    Pineville, Hammond, New Iberia or
    Opelousas offices, and hunters may use
    centerfire pistols in addition to using guns
    allowed for season in progress
    . In addition,
    feral hogs may be taken on Atchafalaya
    Delta, Pass-a-Loutre, Pointe-aux-Chenes
    and Salvador WMAs from Feb. 16 - March
    31 with shotguns loaded with buckshot or
    slugs.

Last edited:

snappa001

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2009
    Kenner
    I too have been going a couple of times a week and the hog trails are everywhere. I'm utilizing my surface drive and launching at Middle River. The undergrowth is way too thick to walk through in the marsh. However, the trails and tunnels throughout are everywhere!!!

So far, I have only seen one huge hog swimming across a bayou and heard another in the brush but never did see it.

Yesterday, I made an early morning hunt with no success. Afterwards, we went riding around while referencing some of Emperor's expertise and advise. I found some new areas that have a lot more hardwoods w/ noticeably more piggy vittles. As suggested by Emperor, this area borders Roseau cane fields. Also, this area looks to be more accessible on foot but you still need to access by boat. I did not see as much sign as in the marsh- but the marsh is just too hard to hunt with waaaayyyy too much cover for them to bed and travel w/o notice.

I had the opportunity to meet Will (aka willshoot) last weekend. Although the hunt was unsuccessful, we went out like troopers in the storming rain. No pain, no gain, LOL.

We did put out some catfish noodles on the way to the blind and caught a couple in an hours time. Not bad. Oh, Will turned out to be a great dude ! He's (as well as I) looking to capitalize on hunting opportunities and new experiences. So, if nothing else, I would enjoy meeting new acquaintances/hunting partners.

I am hoping to go back sometime this weekend and throughout the upcoming New Years holiday if anybody's interested.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I too have been going a couple of times a week and the hog trails are everywhere. I'm utilizing my surface drive and launching at Middle River. The undergrowth is way too thick to walk through in the marsh. However, the trails and tunnels throughout are everywhere!!!

So far, I have only seen one huge hog swimming across a bayou and heard another in the brush but never did see it.

Yesterday, I made an early morning hunt with no success. Afterwards, we went riding around while referencing some of Emperor's expertise and advise. I found some new areas that have a lot more hardwoods w/ noticeably more piggy vittles. As suggested by Emperor, this area borders Roseau cane fields. Also, this area looks to be more accessible on foot but you still need to access by boat. I did not see as much sign as in the marsh- but the marsh is just too hard to hunt with waaaayyyy too much cover for them to bed and travel w/o notice.

I had the opportunity to meet Will (aka willshoot) last weekend. Although the hunt was unsuccessful, we went out like troopers in the storming rain. No pain, no gain, LOL.

We did put out some catfish noodles on the way to the blind and caught a couple in an hours time. Not bad. Oh, Will turned out to be a great dude ! He's (as well as I) looking to capitalize on hunting opportunities and new experiences. So, if nothing else, I would enjoy meeting new acquaintances/hunting partners.

I am hoping to go back sometime this weekend and throughout the upcoming New Years holiday if anybody's interested.

This^ is how it's done folks! A doer, not a dreamer! A pioneer, not a pu$$y! Way to go! :thumbsup:

Stay on them.

Remember, the marsh is for bedding; the woods is for eating. ;)

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ilpadrino2311
    Top Bottom