Hog hunting in Pearl River WMA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No airboats on WMA's.

Center-fire rifles and handguns larger
    than .22 caliber rimfire, shotgun slugs
    or shot larger than BB lead or F steel
    shot cannot be carried onto any WMA
    EXCEPT during modern firearm deer
    season and during special shotgun
    season for feral hogs on Atchafalaya
    Delta, Pass-a-Loutre, Pointe-aux-
    Chenes and Salvador WMAs (see
    individual WMA season schedules for
    specific regulations).

Last edited:

Stella81178

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Belle chasse
    I have been going to PR WMA for the last 3 weeks at least 3-4 times a week. I have had no luck with anything. Yesterday I walked the swamps on the south end for 3 hours and not even a sighting of a hog. The tracks were heavy and everywhere. Has anyone had any luck recently.

teknickcull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    I've been several times this season but didn't have any luck. Two weeks ago I jumped a big pig but couldn't get a shot due to how thick it is back there. It was 20yds away then it was gone in the brush. Other than that all I saw was a doe with two fawns while scouting during bow season. I paddle in so it was kind of a disappointment to have no meat in the freezer after miles of paddling, making trails, scouting etc. I really felt like I put my work in this year! I guess that's why they call it hunting.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Stella81178

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Belle chasse
    I will not give up until I come out of those woods with a hog....or until Feb 28th at least. They are out there, just havent had the luck to see them. My hubby is going out this afternoon, gonna try a different section and see what happens.

flatswitch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Got off to a slow start out there this year, but I've killed 4 this season, 130lb boar in november, 110lb boar in december, a 60lb sow and a 170+lb boar in january. I made a lot of efforts early on though. I use the trails to get back there most of the time, then go way deeper in. each day out ill cover 4-10 miles walking. bring a gps or a compass for sure. haven't seen a single deer this year out there though. some sign, but no deer. Doubt I'll spend much time out there in Feb, I had them dogs blow three hunts on me last year, even when the water was high. Wasn't that far back then though. Would like to knock one more down before the end of the season though. Good luck out there!

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    No airboats on WMA's.

Center-fire rifles and handguns larger
    than .22 caliber rimfire, shotgun slugs
    or shot larger than BB lead or F steel
    shot cannot be carried onto any WMA
    EXCEPT during modern firearm deer
    season and during special shotgun
    season for feral hogs on Atchafalaya
    Delta, Pass-a-Loutre, Pointe-aux-
    Chenes and Salvador WMAs (see
    individual WMA season schedules for
    specific regulations).
    Center fire handguns can be carried any time while hunting feral hogs during any open gun season. Its in the regulations! Page 47

Last edited:

DoubleJ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    New Iberia,LA
    Center fire handguns can be carried any time while hunting feral hogs during any open gun season. Its in the regulations! Page 47

Read that again many people have been saying this so I read it.
    It comes after the part about getting a permit to use dogs and I am pretty sure it only refers to those guys!

PAPACHUCK

Certified Gun Nut
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 21, 2006
    Outside Slidell
    I am going to reply to this old thread, so that this year everyone can be sure not to get a citation.

Hog hunters on WMA's may only use firearms legal for season in progress. Period. The statement on pg.66 about using centerfire handguns is referring to this;

A hunter who holds a basic hunting license (ie. no big game license) and a WMA permit, may use a centerfire handgun during open deer season. That differs from the past where you had to possess a big game license to possess a centerfire weapon during open deer season.

A CENTERFIRE is still NOT LEGAL unless it is open deer season in a WMA.

Outside of WMA's, the rules open up. Hogs may be harvested outside of hunting seasons on private lands by almost whatever means you have available. Read the regs. If you have questions, call the LDWF Enforcement office. They are the best people to answer your questions, for they're who will cite you if you get caught doing something wrong.

Sneakybuffalo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2014
    United States
    I saw at the beginning of the thread people were trying to form up some hunting parties last year. If anyone is still so inclined, I'm new to hunting and want to try out hog hunting, so I'd love to team up with some people and give it a shot.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Regulations for hogs on certain WMA's (PRMA is included) states that hogs may be taken during any legal hunting season. This rule was amended this year with no further exceptions about spring squirrel/turkey hunting seasons noted. Therefore, a shotgun (w/ proper shot) is legal anytime and a .22 rim-fire is permissible throughout squirrel season.

Feral Hogs (page 47)

Feral hogs may be taken during any legal
    hunting season on WMAs by properly
    licensed and/or permitted hunters bearing a
    license and gear legal for specified seasons
    in progress
    . Hogs may not be taken with
    the aid of dogs, EXCEPT feral hogs may
    be taken with the aid of dogs during the
    month of February on Attakapas, Bodcau,
    Boeuf, Clear Creek, Dewey Wills, Jackson-
    Bienville, Little River, Pearl River, Richard
    K. Yancey, Sabine, Sabine Island, and West
    Bay WMAs by self-clearing permit. All
    hogs must be killed immediately and may
    not be transported live under any conditions,
    EXCEPT as allowed by permit from
    either the Minden, Lake Charles, Monroe,
    Pineville, Hammond, New Iberia or
    Opelousas offices, and hunters may use
    centerfire pistols in addition to using guns
    allowed for season in progress
    . In addition,
    feral hogs may be taken on Atchafalaya
    Delta, Pass-a-Loutre, Pointe-aux-Chenes
    and Salvador WMAs from Feb. 16 - March
    31 with shotguns loaded with buckshot or
    slugs.

Centerfire pistol you say?

556pistol-detail-R.jpg

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    I want to take my 14 yr old boys hogging in the PRWMA this weekend. They have small previous hog hunting experience and I'm used to baiting them. Have never tried to stalk and find them so this is as new to me as it is for my boys. I want to avoid north wma and try the less hunted south (that seems to be the general impression of where the hogs are). Can go by boat or foot. Trying to figure out best location to bring home the bacon. Would be willing to repay the favor to anyone who could point us in the right direction. Still have a few more threads to read. THANKS!

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I want you potential Pearl River hog hunters to look at this picture.
    28azve54xti4jrrly1ob.jpg

Anyone know what it is?

It is low tide on the shoreline of the Gulf of Mexico near Freshwater Bayou. And those are craters made by hogs digging for clams and crustaceans in the surf. And when I tell you there are crap load of them, I want you to understand these things are now all the way to the Gulf of Mexico, and they are thriving and eating in the Gulf. It is nothing for them to walk in that marsh.

But the point I want you guys to get, is the Pearl River basin is not much different. If you are going to look for pigs via boat, try to walk the train tracks there in the lower marsh. They are there too! If you catch the right conditions, and you glass ahead you will see them foraging on the side of the train track embankment. There are also places where you can walk at the bottom of the track base, and jump them.

For Christ sakes, will some of you get some results already? You're going to force the Emperor to make a trip just to show you how it's done!

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    Emperor, I've never been to the PRWMA (or any WMA), but rest assured once I figure it out a little bit it'll be game-on! Just researching in advance right now. The map I'm using shows the rail tracks outside of the PRWMA, presumably on private land. The track idea sounds perfect, but I don't want to hunt where I'm not supposed to. I'm 41 and have only been rifle hunting for a year now. Last year we took 22 hogs but I need a new place to hunt due to previous hunting grounds being sold.

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/wma/2789-pearl-river-wma/pearlriver.pdf

Do you have a different map?

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Emperor, I've never been to the PRWMA (or any WMA), but rest assured once I figure it out a little bit it'll be game-on! Just researching in advance right now. The map I'm using shows the rail tracks outside of the PRWMA, presumably on private land. The track idea sounds perfect, but I don't want to hunt where I'm not supposed to. I'm 41 and have only been rifle hunting for a year now. Last year we took 22 hogs but I need a new place to hunt due to previous hunting grounds being sold.

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/wma/2789-pearl-river-wma/pearlriver.pdf

Do you have a different map?

I seem to recall the management area went across the tracks. In complete frankness, it's been 20 years since I actively hunted in there; and the maps I have are from back then. FWIW, those tracks and the mound of rocks and dirt they lay upon are owned by the RR. There are places where some of the ponds and canals lead right to them. That I know for sure since I was there fishing last Summer.

I can't imagine the actual landowner(s) on either side of the tracks wants; or cares about people killing hogs back there. However, if you are like me, and you wanted to go bad enough, look up in the tax roles and see who owns it. You'd be surprised how far a polite inquiry might go. If that is too much trouble, stay within the management area boundaries. Same hog hunting tactics apply, but without the RR tracks.

My point? Do not exclude actively working the marsh itself. The downside in winter is if people are duck hunting. But you find some ridges or high banks near those rivers and I guarantee you find hogs.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    We took 2 out Saturday. We saw about 10 including 2 monsters over 300#. You have to work for them and know your east from west

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ilpadrino2311
    Top Bottom