Hog hunting in Pearl River WMA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    I took my first trip to PRWMA this morning for three hours and ya know what I figured out? I'm no Davy Crockett! Saw a few deer tracks but no signs of hogs (no tracks, droppings or wallows). I think I was just too far North. I came in Old Hwy 11, turned South at the Firing Range intersection and went as South as I could. Spent most of my time in section 15 on this map http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/wma/2789-pearl-river-wma/pearlriver.pdf. I talked to a guy who took a hog out two weeks ago, but that's not enough hog action. Everyone says there are a ton of hogs in PRWMA, but I can tell ya they are not in section 15 (between Holden Pond and English Bayou). I'm pretty sure I need to head south to get to more water, but this being my first time here it's gunna take a little bit to scope it out. I'm headed out again Friday afternoon with a friend and Sunday morning with my kids. Considering taking my boat tomorrow but still don't know where to focus. Any specific suggestions on where I might have better hogging luck would be appreciated. Hope my report of where NOT to go helps you.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I took my first trip to PRWMA this morning for three hours and ya know what I figured out? I'm no Davy Crockett! Saw a few deer tracks but no signs of hogs (no tracks, droppings or wallows). I think I was just too far North. I came in Old Hwy 11, turned South at the Firing Range intersection and went as South as I could. Spent most of my time in section 15 on this map http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/wma/2789-pearl-river-wma/pearlriver.pdf. I talked to a guy who took a hog out two weeks ago, but that's not enough hog action. Everyone says there are a ton of hogs in PRWMA, but I can tell ya they are not in section 15 (between Holden Pond and English Bayou). I'm pretty sure I need to head south to get to more water, but this being my first time here it's gunna take a little bit to scope it out. I'm headed out again Friday afternoon with a friend and Sunday morning with my kids. Considering taking my boat tomorrow but still don't know where to focus. Any specific suggestions on where I might have better hogging luck would be appreciated. Hope my report of where NOT to go helps you.

Try Section 13, 18, & 19.

Take the boat! Find the transition between Roseau's and trees. I guarantee you will find hog sign. Remember, they are trying to avoid people and you are going where the most people go?!? If you are not satisfied with the sign off of the East Pearl, then if you have time, pick up and drop in the West Middle, and look for the same transition points.

Mrlucky353

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    New Orleans LA
    It is low tide on the shoreline of the Gulf of Mexico near Freshwater Bayou. And those are craters made by hogs digging for clams and crustaceans in the surf. And when I tell you there are crap load of them, I want you to understand these things are now all the way to the Gulf of Mexico, and they are thriving and eating in the Gulf. It is nothing for them to walk in that marsh.

Great picture!

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    Went to 18 & 19 this past Friday. Didn't see any hogs, but I saw hundreds and hundreds of trails with poop all over the place. Tried to walk through the brush and follow some trails, but I have to tell ya that's some pretty thick stuff and it's only small game right now, so all I have was my .17HMA. My buddy next to me with his .22LR just didn't make me feel much more secure. Very nice to see that the hogs are there. Found one spot that I could still hunt, but need to explore a bit more. The brush I was walking through had 5-10 feet visibility and there was so much noisy leaves and sticks on the ground that we weren't going to sneak up on anything. So, we've found the hogs (THANKS, Emperor!), just need to figure out the next step... how to locate them without baiting and with a safer visibility range greater than 10 feet. High powered rifle would make me feel a bit more secure too. Since rifle season opens Friday, I'm going to get on back out there Friday. The satellite views APPEAR to show that the heaviest brush is at the edge of the canals, so if I can get through the first 50-100 yards of heavy brush it looks like it might open up a bit. Will have to see. Want to check that out. I suspect good hogging in the southernmost part of the PRWMA, but have not ventured down there yet.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Went to 18 & 19 this past Friday. Didn't see any hogs, but I saw hundreds and hundreds of trails with poop all over the place. Tried to walk through the brush and follow some trails, but I have to tell ya that's some pretty thick stuff and it's only small game right now, so all I have was my .17HMA. My buddy next to me with his .22LR just didn't make me feel much more secure. Very nice to see that the hogs are there. Found one spot that I could still hunt, but need to explore a bit more. The brush I was walking through had 5-10 feet visibility and there was so much noisy leaves and sticks on the ground that we weren't going to sneak up on anything. So, we've found the hogs (THANKS, Emperor!), just need to figure out the next step... how to locate them without baiting and with a safer visibility range greater than 10 feet. High powered rifle would make me feel a bit more secure too. Since rifle season opens Friday, I'm going to get on back out there Friday. The satellite views APPEAR to show that the heaviest brush is at the edge of the canals, so if I can get through the first 50-100 yards of heavy brush it looks like it might open up a bit. Will have to see. Want to check that out. I suspect good hogging in the southernmost part of the PRWMA, but have not ventured down there yet.

Bring climbers and get up on top of them! Also, on a scouting mission bring a telescopic pruning pole and find a tree that is optimum to climb that has the view and the location you feel is best. Remember, you still have to play the wind too!

One of you get up in the climber and direct the other guy to prune the limbs enough to give you a decent view of the trails or what I like to refer to as the "Kill Zone!" Then find another tree for you buddy and repeat process.

Now listen! You have to take into consideration their keen sense of smell. You cannot go in there with tennis shoes and don't let your clothes rub all over the lower hanging brush. Park your boat downwind and walk back to your KZ on the day of hunt.

With this setup there, and I do know where it is, you will have a chance you'll see deer too! They go in that marsh too! ;)

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    Roger that. My next thought was to get high (climb a tree I mean!). Don't know anything about climbers so I guess it's off to the store after work. Wind is looking great and all my clothes are dirt-washed!

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    To cover your scent, find a skunk. Musk up a cotton handkerchief, and keep it in a zip-lock bag. Take it out, and hang it near your tree stand.

Finding the skunk is not the hardest part of this.:rofl:

It does work though. Next time you happen on a road kill skunk, have a hanky and a zip-lock handy.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Roger that. My next thought was to get high (climb a tree I mean!). Don't know anything about climbers so I guess it's off to the store after work. Wind is looking great and all my clothes are dirt-washed!

Whoa! Climbers are dangerous! If you have no experience with them, I would wholeheartedly advise you to familiarize yourself with them extensively before you deploy for the hunt. Practice with that thing, and learn how to balance and move on them. And wear that harness!

I like API Shooting Star Magnums as my go to climbers, but I picked up a Summit from a member here, and it is nice too. The Summit is actually more comfortable to sit in for long durations because it has a adjustable hanging type seat. You set that seat right, and you can really sit there all day.

Don't play cheapskate with the climbers. A good one is going to cost you $300; but your life depends on it.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Just FYI, API stands are made in China.

They were a local company, I know the original owner personally, but were sold and moved all manufacturing to China.

That's too bad. I've owned three of my four API's for years. I love them. And if I didn't have those 4, a Summit Viper, A Tree Lounge, an Old man, and a Gorilla; I would consider buying American next time.

But unless, Aluminum deteriorates I may not need another for quite some time. :mamoru:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    To cover your scent, find a skunk. Musk up a cotton handkerchief, and keep it in a zip-lock bag. Take it out, and hang it near your tree stand.

Finding the skunk is not the hardest part of this.:rofl:

It does work though. Next time you happen on a road kill skunk, have a hanky and a zip-lock handy.

Also works well for keeping other hunters from setting up right on top of you! :cheers:

:dogkeke:

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    Went three times last week and took home one 55# piglet. Made some pretty good BBQ pulled pork sandwiches with a bit more in the freezer to go. Took him with my .17 at 130 yards. The following day I had a 240 yard shot at a 200# boar but, not ever trying a shot at that distance with my .270 and guessing at aiming 7" high, I missed. A few minutes later a 150# sow with four piglets following her ran across my shooting lane and I missed. Just was not ready for that shot on a fast moving hoggy. A little disappointed that I only came back with one 55#er, but so it goes. Spent one morning creating a trail to two nice hunt spots, so this weekend I'll try them out. Wind looks good for these spots #1 and #2 this weekend and I can bring high powered instead of .17. I'm still not convinced that I'm in the right spot though with these two hunt spots (southern part of the WMA). I suspect better hogging elsewhere but have not yet identified it. Plan to lay a new trail a new site after Sat am hunt... this spot looks real nice so far but have yet to have boots on the ground here (spot #3). Will let you guys know how is goes. Still pretty much hunting SE PR WMA for hoggies. Getting a little more used to trekking through 10 foot high reeds but still a bit creepy.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Went three times last week and took home one 55# piglet. Made some pretty good BBQ pulled pork sandwiches with a bit more in the freezer to go. Took him with my .17 at 130 yards. The following day I had a 240 yard shot at a 200# boar but, not ever trying a shot at that distance with my .270 and guessing at aiming 7" high, I missed. A few minutes later a 150# sow with four piglets following her ran across my shooting lane and I missed. Just was not ready for that shot on a fast moving hoggy. A little disappointed that I only came back with one 55#er, but so it goes. Spent one morning creating a trail to two nice hunt spots, so this weekend I'll try them out. Wind looks good for these spots #1 and #2 this weekend and I can bring high powered instead of .17. I'm still not convinced that I'm in the right spot though with these two hunt spots (southern part of the WMA). I suspect better hogging elsewhere but have not yet identified it. Plan to lay a new trail a new site after Sat am hunt... this spot looks real nice so far but have yet to have boots on the ground here (spot #3). Will let you guys know how is goes. Still pretty much hunting SE PR WMA for hoggies. Getting a little more used to trekking through 10 foot high reeds but still a bit creepy.

I would call this a success! You are on them now! And don't be a puss! Get in those Roseau's! If you are in there and you find a porcine thoroughfare; and I mean a really good one, smash or chop down those Roseau's to make a lane; really open it up. They aren't going to stop using the trail just because the canes are rearranged at first. Bring a plastic bucket, or better yet a piece of plywood and folding lawn chair and sit downwind of your opening. Throw some whole feed corn on the cob right there where your KZ is (just a suggestion) :mamoru:; and just wait those fat asses out. Hunt those sacks of s**t like you were duck hunting!

After reading the regs, I see that deer season opens tomorrow in there. Get in there early! And set up early! When the rush of people start hitting that swamp in the north and middles' many of those pigs and deer are heading south! To? Wait for it! The Roseau's! Most of the quadrupeds will be way south of Hwy 11 before the sun is even close to rising. They know that game!

Last edited:

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    haha! Yeah, well, I'm used to hunting hoggies 20-30 yards away on the ground, but with clear visibility. The tall & thick Roseau in S PRWMA gives hoggy the upperhand... until I clear my lanes and make a trail out of the back of the lane/KZ like I did at #1 & #2. I found two good "porcine thoroughfares" about 50 yards apart at spot #3, with a decent spot between them, so I plan to setup between them and wait for rush hour. Saw deer near this site a few weeks ago. Just got in some neat new ammo so might have to bring my semi AR this weekend instead of my bolt .270 in case I have opportunity to take a few hoggies.

Nice ammo (I think):
    http://www.lehighdefense.com/shop/a...locity-controlled-chaos-lead-free-ammo-detail

I don't think the hoggies will swim across the waterways in their southward exodus. Is this a correct assumption?

Joemac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2014
    Youngsville, Louisiana
    395# sow

image.jpgDewey Wills WMA area

Hoggin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2014
    Madisonville
    Started finding them at Pearl. Two weekends ago shot four in the head but could only retrieve one. The others ran off and I couldn't track. Was using Winchester Super X .22LR (1280 fps) 37gr round nose. Losing 3 hogs didn't sit well with me so I purchased a Magnum Research .22 Magnum and went back this past weekend with CCI Maxi Mag (1875 fps) 40gr hollow points. Shot three hogs in the neck (3-4 inches behind ear) and retrieved all three hogs. 375#s of meat on hoof in total (155#, 120#, 100#). Great day. Four hogs in last two trips. Definitely recommend .22Magnum. Also highly suggest hollow point ammo shots to the neck/throat. When skinning them the necks were all black blood, just destroyed by high velocity hollow points. All 3 hogs dropped where they were hit.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Started finding them at Pearl. Two weekends ago shot four in the head but could only retrieve one. The others ran off and I couldn't track. Was using Winchester Super X .22LR (1280 fps) 37gr round nose. Losing 3 hogs didn't sit well with me so I purchased a Magnum Research .22 Magnum and went back this past weekend with CCI Maxi Mag (1875 fps) 40gr hollow points. Shot three hogs in the neck (3-4 inches behind ear) and retrieved all three hogs. 375#s of meat on hoof in total (155#, 120#, 100#). Great day. Four hogs in last two trips. Definitely recommend .22Magnum. Also highly suggest hollow point ammo shots to the neck/throat. When skinning them the necks were all black blood, just destroyed by high velocity hollow points. All 3 hogs dropped where they were hit.

Congratulations! You will never run out the supply of them in there, so if you really enjoy eating those nasty bastards you will have a year round hobby of fun and excitement!

Maybe one weekend I will join you! Deer season ended Saturday night for me, and I am already in DT's. :D

Last edited:
    Top Bottom