Home Protection

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Everyone has their own opinion on what is "the best" home defense weapon. There are so many factors, both from the shooter and the engagement area /time/ distance that it's impossible, IMO, to just declare one over another arbitrarily.
    If someone thinks a shotgun is the best choice for them, that's cool.
    Not my choice, I choose my AR (with my low flash, light bullet ammo. Different horse if its loaded with M855). Others go for a large frame pistol. It's my opinion that this is the worst option of the 3, but it's just that, an opinion.
    What you have to consider is penetration, killing power, and target ID. Target ID means no matter what you choose it needs a weapon light on it. Period. Your kids are worth the hundred bucks.
    Penetration, in the OPs position, would mean more to me than one shot killing power( because I'd be afraid of hitting the kids in the opposite room), so I'd be forced into something akin to birdshot, frangible pistol ammo, or light AR bullets. Which means a one shot stop (unlikely in the first place, except for 00buck to the chest), isn't really part of the game plan. I would then think about fast, accurate follow up shops. Pump shotguns are out, and I would Opine that any shotgun has lost it's true HD merit: heavy killing power; so it becomes more of a liability than an asset.
    Leaving pistols and carbines, I think everyone here would agree that while a pistol would Obviously do the job, a rifle is more powerful, especially since both weapons would be loaded with rounds designed to break up on impact.
    A pistol would be easier to maneuver, And easier to retain in a struggle. A rifle is more stable and the weapon itself can be deadly in hand to hand.
    From there it's so subjective that the OP is on his own lol.
    Those of you who are riding the shotgun band wagon, just consider "would I prefer 5-8 shots of #7 from an autoloader, 8-18 shots of 9mm-.45, or 30 of 5.56? If I hit but don't kill the BG, he could kill me. If I miss I could kill my kids ( the OP will be shooting Into the kids rooms), if I hit the BG Too Hard I could Still kill my kids."
    I would rather hose the BG 3-5 times with frangible 5.56 and be done with it, confident in the fact that I'm Not Going to overpen Or miss during fast controlled pairs.

biggin215

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    LACamper said:
    The 12ga has more stopping power, less penetration

Bolded part has been proven false time and time again. Buckshot will penetrate as much or more than any good defensive round in a pistol. Your argument about cost is a good one in favor of a shotgun. People need to practice with it diligently though. I see too many shotgun owners that don't shoot them enough and short stroke constantly. That is no good if you plan to use it for home defense.

LACamper said:
    I'm also concerned that if I did have to kill someone with my AR in my home that a jury would see that in a negative light. Just a thought.

I can understand this thinking, but the way I look at it... if a shooting is justified, a shooting is justified and people have used ARs to defend their homes and not been screwed in court before. If I have to defend my home, I want the most practical, effective tool for that job. In weighing the costs and benefits of each system, I find the AR to be the best for my scenario. Ymmv.

cookiemonster

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Vidalia, La
    If someone is bold enough to break into my home where they may or may not put my family in danger, then they are bold enough to suffer the consequences. I would happily go to jail or be killed to protect my family. No questions asked, because they are the priority in my life and I will do whatever it takes to protect them.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Long guns are fine for HD in my opinion. I have cleared many houses with one and was always conscious of not sticking the barrel through the door blindly. There are ways to do this without getting your gun grabbed. Plus if you grab the Barrell I'm just gonna pull the trigger because you were putting me in fear for my life. Handguns are taken away also by gun grabs which just means don't stick the gun blindly around corners. Any gun you have in your hand will be good for HD. You will probably not hear or feel the bang anyhow. Just my thoughts on it though.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Long guns are fine for HD in my opinion. I have cleared many houses with one and was always conscious of not sticking the barrel through the door blindly. There are ways to do this without getting your gun grabbed. Plus if you grab the Barrell I'm just gonna pull the trigger because you were putting me in fear for my life. Handguns are taken away also by gun grabs which just means don't stick the gun blindly around corners. Any gun you have in your hand will be good for HD. You will probably not hear or feel the bang anyhow. Just my thoughts on it though.

What, no SPEAR?! Get that support side arm going!

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Thanks for answering the questions in a much kinder way than I would have. People who advocate birdshot for home defense rank up there with those that advocate racking the shotgun to scare the intruder away and loading salt into shotgun shells.

Mmmmm Hmmmm.

Well me, I'm not "advocating" much of anything. However......

There are quite a few folks now residing on the wrong side of the dirt that would disagree (if they still could)- but we're all entitled to our own opinions. :)

Last edited:

GOAT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    New Orleans
    I refuse to put a light on my pistol. Flashlights work both ways if your opponent is armed. I have a hall leading to my bedroom, I keep my bright flashlight set on strobe to roll into the hallway for the distraction, and my 20 ga with buckshot in the first shot and a slug if they are still feeling sprite.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I wouldn't want to be the testing ground for that in the space of the average bedroom.
    happy0170.gif

I wouldn't want to be testing it against some big ole fella that is pissed off because I shot him with birdshot.

Bird shot dissipates energy more quickly. It doesn't penetrate enough consistantly.

Think about it.... If it won't go through a wall, will it really penetrate enough bad guy?

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    if you ever have to use that gun at night you will want a light somewhere... that strobe will be hell on you and the intruder if you are startled in the middle of the night, lol. i love the light on my duty gun but i use the same principle as with a flashlight in the hand, i flash it and move. never stay in the same spot

biggin215

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I refuse to put a light on my pistol. Flashlights work both ways if your opponent is armed. I have a hall leading to my bedroom, I keep my bright flashlight set on strobe to roll into the hallway for the distraction, and my 20 ga with buckshot in the first shot and a slug if they are still feeling sprite.

Let me know how that works for you when you shoot your wife. Next most important tool, aside from the gun, is a good flashlight IMO. If you are worried about it drawing fire to the light, do what the FBI does and hold it at a 60 degree angle from your shoulder but please ID your target.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Let me know how that works for you when you shoot your wife. Next most important tool, aside from the gun, is a good flashlight IMO. If you are worried about it drawing fire to the light, do what the FBI does and hold it at a 60 degree angle from your shoulder but please ID your target.

for heavens sake, do not follow the tactics of the FBI:puke:

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    How is this going to make him shoot his wife? Sounds like someones wife needs to watch out for big ego's smothering them while they sleep.

biggin215

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    for heavens sake, do not follow the tactics of the FBI:puke:

Haha, I'm not following FBI tactics.... just saying that if he is that worried and that makes him feel better then do it so long as he IDs his target. I follow the tactics I was taught in the low light course I took.

biggin215

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    How is this going to make him shoot his wife? Sounds like someones wife needs to watch out for big ego's smothering them while they sleep.

Haha, I'm not married but that did make me laugh. It's not an ego thing, my point was that he should ID the target. Tossing a light on strobe down the hallway then firing into the rave party =/= IDing a target.

pulpsmack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Red Stick
    Frankly, there is no ammunition that is both effective against bipeds AND drywall compliant. In fact, there is no drywall compliant ammo either (despite the claims of snake oil vendors) so compromise calibers and loads will give you no real protection against wall penetration, but they WILL significantly disadvantage the effectiveness of your delivery.

I live without fear of your problems, so a Handgun or longarm of choice with the most effective load is a no-brainer. I would advise the same load would still be the best for your application. If the concern weighs that heavily, you may consider reinforcing the walls in their rooms, or a 24"H x 60" W backstop with a panic button that throws on a blinking becon in their room, so they know to get out of the bed and crouch against the backstop area.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

That's one of the silliest things I've ever heard. Flashlights work both ways...so do strobes. But let me guess, you have a pair of 5.11 sunglasses as part of your nightstand kit? :p

GOAT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    New Orleans
    Haha, I'm not married but that did make me laugh. It's not an ego thing, my point was that he should ID the target. Tossing a light on strobe down the hallway then firing into the rave party =/= IDing a target.

LMFAO firing into the rave. I live in a shotgun style house with a backdoor at the end of said hallway. The neighbor's house is quite close and there is no external light shining in. I always leave my little kitchen light on 24/7 (don't tell Al gore.) My dog is the first alert system, and my wife takes concealment behind the bed with her .38 spl as per family SOP( I want her to use a bigger gun, but she handles that best so I am not trying to get her to switch.)

If the dog doesn't scare the BG away, the flashlight disco party is thrown out to blind/distract, and the shotgun is aimed down the hall waiting on my visual. The dog and my yelling are the warnings, anyone that can't id themselves and are still in the house are not welcome are open season. That is just the side door entry protocol.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom