Hunter Kills Moose - FROM WAY DOWN TOWN!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    I wasn't able to view the video.

An ethical shot on an animal is dependent on many factors.
    For 99% of most hunters, that would be an unethical shot.
    I feel comfortable saying that 99% of hunters don't have the experience, equipment or ability to make a shot of that distance.
    On the other hand, it appears this hunter does.
    Then again maybe it was a luck shot.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Camera angles and lenses can give you very deceiving image. How do we know it was actually 1100 yards? It could have been no more than 400 or so. All we have to go on is the word of the guy that posted the video. The trashing of the guy for taking a loooong shot may be unfounded because of a bogus range claim by the shooter. I've filmed and edited long range shooting for many years and I can tell you first hand video images can be very deceiving in regards to range.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    As stated cameras can be very deceiving on range to target. Especially when ther is nothing between you and the target to compare size to (wide open are or like here over water). Most people ragging this guy are doing so because they do not posses the hardware or ability to produce such shots. They would be better suited to get off the gun boards and on the back end of a gun at the range and get off the 100 yard line.

SpencerSS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Brusly, La
    Trying to find the origin on this video, you would NOT believe the Flak this guy is getting. I've seen already on 4 forums where people are absolutely thrashing him for being unethical. Saying he took too big a risk at toolong a range of hurting the animal instead of killing it. Crazy to hear that come out of Hunter Forums. Sounds like a little jealousy to me.

People have moral issues with things they can't do.

P.S. I've heard the flight time arguement more than a few times. Moose don't move that much in a second. The way it works, is you look for the animal to be at ease and doing something you know he's likely to stay put doing, ie. eugulates pick their head up to look around, they almost all ways spend 5+second looking. It's like bowhunting; the key to the target not 'jumping the string' is reading it's body lang. to insure it's not "jumpy". The difference is the sound of the bow shot stands a good chance of scaring the animal and will get to it before the arrow.

SpencerSS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Brusly, La
    I wasn't able to view the video.

An ethical shot on an animal is dependent on many factors.
    For 99% of most hunters, that would be an unethical shot.
    I feel comfortable saying that 99% of hunters don't have the experience, equipment or ability to make a shot of that distance.
    On the other hand, it appears this hunter does.
    Then again maybe it was a luck shot.

That remaining 1% makes clean kills on 90%+ of the game they shoot at over 600yds, while the majority of the 99% group miss or wound half of the game they shoot at under 200yds. Yet many challenge the long range hunters' ethics. I challange the avg hunters' ethics with statistics. (numbers provided are rough estimates, because I didn't feel like looking up the hard numbers again. And this disclaimer is for all the posters who are going to give me Sh*t about this)

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    Apprently this guy was trained by our previous member......"LONGRANGE" HAHAHA:bowrofl:

Skillz, look like a great shot to me no matter the distance, clean ethical kill if the video is of the actual shot/hunt!

KT

bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    Helluva shot. Looks like he's done it this way before, if he's got his kids out there. I found it kind of interesting that the other moose didn't scatter, they just sort of checked out the dieing moose and went on about their business.

~r~

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    Since the background of the shooter is not known, it's unfair of folks on other forums to put him down for making the shot. For all anyone knows he could be a highly trained military sniper who practices these shots.
    There was a show about long sniper shots and they recreated the shots. One of the guys had made a kill on a guy sprinting out of cover I think somewhere around 700 yards. Six years later they recreated the shot with him and he nailed it on the first try. To show it wasn't luck, he did it again.
    I'm with the "if you have the expertise, take the shot" crowd on this one.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    Chicken Hunting?:eek3: WTF? Wild chickens? Ini farmer jones' chicken coop chickens?

Hell of a shot. I love the science behind that.

Chicken hunting???? What at a local grocery store or what! Canadians crack me up.
    Good shot if you ask me, let him try that shot in the boat a little closer and see what happens.

Bam Bam

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    That remaining 1% makes clean kills on 90%+ of the game they shoot at over 600yds, while the majority of the 99% group miss or wound half of the game they shoot at under 200yds. Yet many challenge the long range hunters' ethics. I challange the avg hunters' ethics with statistics. (numbers provided are rough estimates, because I didn't feel like looking up the hard numbers again. And this disclaimer is for all the posters who are going to give me Sh*t about this)

Absolutely. All my number are totally and completely my own estimations +/-.63%.

I have my own private range and have dozens of "Hunters" or "Average Shooters" come over to sight in rifles and shoot.

Most shooters want to shoot at 100 yards to zero their rifle and not any further.

I've had shooters unable to keep a group under 3" at 100 yards. That's off of a rest.

Some of these are of course shooting 7Mag, 300Mag or other long range calibers so they can make those long shots.

In fairness, Many of the shooter who use my place are in that 1% and can effectively hit a 12" plate at 500 yards 99% of the time.

I think the comparison to Bow Hunting is very good. It's about the shot offered by the target.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I would be willing to bet that he is using the Best of the West rifle packages and has prob. hunted with them before. I love watching their hunting shows. They constantly shoot between 800-1200 yards. The rifles are Cooper Montana Rifles with Huskemaw Scopes which are made for the rifle, alt, conditions etc. The adjustments are very accurate. They are usually in 7mm Mag but do have a host of other calibers. I got to shoot one of these rifles while in Montana a couple years ago. The guy let us shoot his and with a little practice they are great shooting systems. They are not cheap though.

Go to Youtube and check out some of the Best of the West shooting videos.

Also,

http://www.thebestofthewest.net/

http://www.thebestofthewest.net/rifle.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTxXvEeWJo4&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzlw-zxWm_M&feature=player_embedded

http://www.longrangestore.com/Default.asp

SpencerSS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Brusly, La
    In fairness, Many of the shooter who use my place are in that 1% and can effectively hit a 12" plate at 500 yards 99% of the time.

Not to toot my own horn, but with my 243AI I keep my 600yd groups under 5" and have shot a couple 1.5" groups at that range. 12" plates are for 1000yd+

SpencerSS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Brusly, La
    I would be willing to bet that he is using the Best of the West rifle packages and has prob. hunted with them before. I love watching their hunting shows. They constantly shoot between 800-1200 yards. The rifles are Cooper Montana Rifles with Huskemaw Scopes which are made for the rifle, alt, conditions etc. The adjustments are very accurate. They are usually in 7mm Mag but do have a host of other calibers. I got to shoot one of these rifles while in Montana a couple years ago. The guy let us shoot his and with a little practice they are great shooting systems. They are not cheap though.

Can't say they never use the Cooper Montanas, but every show I've ever watched featured the Gunwerks rifles.

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    Not to toot my own horn, but with my 243AI I keep my 600yd groups under 5" and have shot a couple 1.5" groups at that range. 12" plates are for 1000yd+

You need to come out and shoot F-Open or FPR with us. With groups like that you'll keep them all in the 10 ring (6").

Top Bottom