Issue with No Firearm Signs

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Businesses do not have the 'right' to do anything they want.

They are licensed.

We went over serving the public when segregation was finally ended.
    :ohreally:

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Your right to bear arms is not infringed. You have guns. Discrimination, deals with a person or identity and equal treatment, regardless of their religious, political, race, sexual orientation, age. You will find far more business restricting firearms due to liability issues than a "safety for our partrons" viewpoint. Shop owners may say no dogs allowed, unless for a handicap. No hats or caps at banks. Your right to wear a cap or travel with a dog isn't restricted, unless you enter these businesses. Leave your cap, dog and gun in your vehicle to conduct business.

Your right to wear a hat is not protected under the Constitution. Also a bank does not invite the public inside, they have accounts and memberships needed to be part of the private establishment, unlike Walmart or your Neighborhood grocery store that has a constant flow of the PUBLIC coming and going.

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    Not to mention that here in La is a suing state. You get hurt on some one else's property, you can sue them. So a person going in and out gets hurt on that property might end up owning that property when all is said and done. If a business has something I need and no other business has it, and they don't allow guns, and I get hurt going in, inside or coming out, you better believe I am going to file a suit. Now If I am not infringed in my right to self defense it would be a different story.
    Ohh, and I used to agree that a property owner should be able to do as he sees fit years ago, but things are different now. Just like if a utility company wants to take part of your land in the middle of you hunting grounds, they do it no matter what you say.

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Your right to wear a hat is not protected under the Constitution. Also a bank does not invite the public inside, they have accounts and memberships needed to be part of the private establishment, unlike Walmart or your Neighborhood grocery store that has a constant flow of the PUBLIC coming and going.

But you can walk right in to set one up right?

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Sure, but you do not conduct business there in public fashion. You must become part of the private "club" if you will before you are allowed to do business. You then become a member and agree to follow their rules or whatnot, you don't agree to anything when you walk through the door of Walmart...why? Because its PUBLIC.

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Sure, but you do not conduct business there in public fashion. You must become part of the private "club" if you will before you are allowed to do business. You then become a member and agree to follow their rules or whatnot, you don't agree to anything when you walk through the door of Walmart...why? Because its PUBLIC.

There is no club, the account is only there so they don't confuse who's money belongs to whom. So, being a club is the measuring stick? So you don't carry to sam's club, but you do to walmart?

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    If there is a membership to enter the building a do business then the rules change. Simple as that. (Once again I wanna make clear that 90% of what Im saying is not how the law always views it and Im not arguing that it will be the way the court or police see it, Im just saying how I think it should be)(yes I know that really holds no worth :( )

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Walmart is ok because it is open to general public. Sams is a membership only with yearly dues and whatnot and can require all customers to wear clown pants when they shop if they feel the need.

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    What is odd about that? You are joining a club and agree to pay to be part of it and follow their rules. Easy as that. Walmart is WIDE open to the public. You don't pay a fee or sign a paper or anything come one come all...aka the Public.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    What is odd about that? You are joining a club and agree to pay to be part of it and follow their rules. Easy as that. Walmart is WIDE open to the public. You don't pay a fee or sign a paper or anything come one come all...aka the Public.

I just see we have such a huge disconnect here it isn't something I think I'll be able to explain to you.

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    I dont not understand what you are saying, just simply disagree. No frustration or hard feelings, Let me know next time your in the BR/Livingston area. First beer is on me.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I dont not understand what you are saying, just simply disagree. No frustration or hard feelings, Let me know next time your in the BR/Livingston area. First beer is on me.

I have neither. That is exactly what I am saying. We have a disconnect between the way see things, you and I are different, that difference means no matter how I attempt to word it, you will never see it in the matter that I see it. It is nothing negative, I am simply acknowledging our differences and the futility of attempting to overcome them.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    And that boys and girls is a gentlemans disagreement. I applaud the both of you for not being able to get your point across to one another without it sinking into the inevitable **** spiral seen all to often here. Kudos.

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    Its not Private Property when you invite the public to come inside. You do not and should not loose your rights when you remain part of the public.

A business is private property. If the owner of a business asks someone to leave and they stay, he can call the police and have the person arrested for trespassing. My office is open to the public. That doesn't give CNN the right to broadcast their evening news show from my waiting room because of the First Amendment.

"No weapon" signs are there for lawsuit purposes. If someone unintentionally discharges their firearm in the business (like that idiot did in Walmart a few months ago) and injures someone, the business can argue that they are not liable because they posted the sign. Blame the lawyers.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    And that boys and girls is a gentlemans disagreement. I applaud the both of you for not being able to get your point across to one another without it sinking into the inevitable **** spiral seen all to often here. Kudos.

It's time to shut down the thread when the bloviators start talking past each other.
    :ninja:

UnseenUSPCompact

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    "No weapon" signs are there for lawsuit purposes. If someone unintentionally discharges their firearm in the business (like that idiot did in Walmart a few months ago) and injures someone, the business can argue that they are not liable because they posted the sign. Blame the lawyers.

I agree that this is the true reason that the signs are there, CYA. That still doesn't make it illegal or a criminal act to carry the gun into a store with a sign when there are no laws pertaining to signs. Im not saying that if a store owner asks you to leave you can spit in his face and stand your ground, thats ridiculous...Im simply saying you are doing nothing illegal. Also, once again, I want to stress that when Im talking about public property as in walmart and places like that, Im stating my opinion on how I feel it should be viewed and am in no way arguing that a court or leo would not see it another way. Opinion opinion and opinion nothing more for the sake of a good debate.

Top Bottom