Lawmakers aim to curb military surplus program for police after Ferguson

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I guess how much time is captured is dependent on the size of the media card. So the camera can record continuously until the battery goes dead, not any more of a problem than changing a radio battery. Here are recording times with different settings wit a 32GB card, a 64GB card would double the record times.

http://gopro.com/support/articles/recording-time-in-each-video-setting

GO Pro's are just too big and bulky (even for such a tiny camera) in my opinion though (not to mention expensive!). Though I realize there is a HUGE user base that loves them and new "mounting" ideas are popping up constantly.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    GO Pro's are just too big and bulky (even for such a tiny camera) in my opinion though (not to mention expensive!). Though I realize there is a HUGE user base that loves them and new "mounting" ideas are popping up constantly.

Problem solved!

Last edited:

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Problem Solved!

Glock_GoPro_1__strikemark.preview.jpg

Hmmm... may be a little confrontational or agressive! hahaha
    and good luck finding a holster!

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Maybe I should start a company providing solar panels that you can wear on your back to charge the camera, or maybe a solar paneled ballistic vest and a beanie cap with a wind turbine propeller on top.

If you can also sell a portable Omega 13 device, then every officer can go back in time 13 seconds before to fix a mistake.
    "Never give up! Never surrender!"

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I guess how much time is captured is dependent on the size of the media card. So the camera can record continuously until the battery goes dead, not any more of a problem than changing a radio battery. Here are recording times with different settings with a 32GB card, a 64GB card would double the record times. 60 frames per second is only needed for high speed subjects, 30 is fine for most situation considering most of the old film movie cameras used 16 frames per second. A 64GB card with the camera set to 30 frames per second and 720p definition would record 16 hours. I don't know what battery life would be.

http://gopro.com/support/articles/recording-time-in-each-video-setting

I have a Gopro with a body clip for my carrier. Despite being a boxy pain in the f'n A, their record times are very exaggerated and the quality is fantastic. Leaving it on nonstop the battery gets me through ~3hours of video. I know on the internet "just swap the battery" sounds like a great idea, but thats not feasible during a call, especially when you get multiple calls back to back. By the time things settle down and you think "oh, I need to swap this thing out" you've missed ~half of your shift. It also does not like being thrown around or jumbled up, which happens.

If your cell phone has ever died, you'll understand this. On the internet its easy to just say "plug it in to any USB adapter, why should it ever go dead? There's literally no reason your phone should ever die."

If your taillight bulb has ever burned out, you'll understand this. On the internet its easy to just say "there's an autozone/Oreilly/walmart within 5 miles of ~any given location. It takes 2 minutes to swap the bulb, why should your tail light ever be out?

In reality, this stuff just happens.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I have a Gopro with a body clip for my carrier. Despite being a boxy pain in the f'n A, their record times are very exaggerated and the quality is fantastic. Leaving it on nonstop the battery gets me through ~3hours of video. I know on the internet "just swap the battery" sounds like a great idea, but thats not feasible during a call, especially when you get multiple calls back to back. By the time things settle down and you think "oh, I need to swap this thing out" you've missed ~half of your shift. It also does not like being thrown around or jumbled up, which happens.

If your cell phone has ever died, you'll understand this. On the internet its easy to just say "plug it in to any USB adapter, why should it ever go dead? There's literally no reason your phone should ever die."

If your taillight bulb has ever burned out, you'll understand this. On the internet its easy to just say "there's an autozone/Oreilly/walmart within 5 miles of ~any given location. It takes 2 minutes to swap the bulb, why should your tail light ever be out?

In reality, this stuff just happens.

Well if auto manufacturers are no longer installing ash trays in new cars, but are still putting in lighters; why doesn't someone just invent a cord that can be plugged directly into the cops ass to charge ALL the devices he/she needs?

:mamoru:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Here's a good one too!

pdp_image_NVG_Mount_1.jpg

Or how about a MOLLE mount?

LoPro-Molle-Mount-for-GoPro-440x440.jpg

Is this the chest rig you have?

pdp_image_Chesty_Front.jpg

I like this one also...

DSC_0547.JPG

I read where GoPro is going to come out with a codpiece mount for the Hero 4+. For those cops that are a little more secure with their manhood I suppose. :p

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Okay, since the average life span of a semi-serious thread that starts to go blue, is about 9 pages before it is locked; I'd like to say thanks for laughs, and don't forget to tip your waitress!

:chuckles:

This is of course, if this was a serious thread to begin with?!? :mamoru:

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I ditched the Gopro when my company started using the Taser Axon. When my boss asked if we should invest in these units over Gopro, I borrowed it for a week to "test drive it", on-duty of course. :)

I guess I'll throw out an unbiased review since its now the subject of conversation.

Pros:

The quality was great. I could access video clips from my iphone app, and label them with name/date/call. Organization was a high point. "Smith 8/2/14 10-15"

I could email or forward clips to whomever, or save them to an external hard drive. ie: keep copies of all of my use of force encounters, etc, just in case it became a he said she said.

On that note, it did clear me of an unwarranted complaint and came in very handy for a DUI once as well. Lady tells captain that I was unprofessional and rude to her, I just forward him a copy of the video. Case closed. He especially loved being able to say "you did see that he was wearing a camera??". The DUI stated that he plainly told me he had an ankle injury and couldn't walk well. It was quite a different story than his jumping jacks and drunken antics attempting to prove that I was being unreasonable.

Cons:

Since I had the opportunity to review the video alone, it isn't always what you want. Example: it captures video great, but not sounds, smells, etc. Without elaborating, consider that there are a great many warnings on a hot call that aren't visual or necessarily in the camera's field of vision. My senses trump the camera's lens.

If an officer had to worry about the video going straight to admin, they may get MMQB'd to death. It wouldn't be a fault of the camera, it'd be a tool that enabled senseless micro-management. It's not a problem for me, but I can see how it would potentially be.

To a full time officer, Id see it's biggest issue being it's another expensive piece of equipment to maintain and account for. We've got enough crap to keep up with and don't need any more. I don't bring anything with me that I don't consider a "must have" and its still 30lbs of gear.

It's not designed to be roughed up. It essentially becomes a $500.00 paperweight after a few direct blows. (Speaking for the gopro, the axon hasn't received direct abuse on my watch)

30frames per sec, 640x480, and choices are high quality recording for 3.5 hours or "standard" (translated to: terrible) for ~8hrs. The standard setting was unusable past ~7 feet ahead of me. Taser says itll go 12 hours, but I never saw that ring true.

Last edited:

Vsotok10

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    CENLA
    Emp that gives me an idea. Okay, how about this:

If the technology is feasible and practical for my small dept agencies budget, why the hell doesn't the NFL (with their budget) have one on every player? NFL Sunday Ticket? I'd pay double to see a first person superbowl.

I would definitely pay extra to see from the eyes of a linebacker Johnny Manziel get blasted.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

Screw that! I want to hear the trash talking before, during, and after every live play now! Do you realize how brutal these guys are to each other. And if they hate each, forget it!

The NFL would make millions on my concept.

I would love to hear Atlanta Cornerback Robert Alford telling Jimmy Graham; "I dare you to come my way with that bitch ass sh*t, you red bean looking ni$$er Mother f**ker!"

I would pay $20.00 a game. :mamoru:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Screw that! I want to hear the trash talking before, during, and after every live play now! Do you realize how brutal these guys are to each other. And if they hate each, forget it!

The NFL would make millions on my concept.

I would love to hear Atlanta Cornerback Robert Alford telling Jimmy Graham; "I dare you to come my way with that bitch ass sh*t, you red bean looking ni$$er Mother f**ker!"

I would pay $20.00 a game. :mamoru:

NFL Game Mic last year had Champ Bailey tell Marshawn Lynch after a tackle (denying him a first down) "Thats all you got beastmode?"

Lynch, point to the stands: "I dont see anyone wearin Bailey jerseys..."

I was like WHY ISNT THIS IN EVERY GAME

Top Bottom