Lawmakers aim to curb military surplus program for police after Ferguson

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    With the technology I've seen... recording for an entire shift (the cameras will not be worn 24 hours) shouldn't be even be an issue if the departments spend the money and manage it correctly. These professional units (and those now being advanced with funding just because of this incident) aren't going to just pop in a AA battery and go. They are rechargable units that will last anywhere from 6 to 8 hours.

Remember, you're not talking about anything with a screen, lights, illumination (other than infra red on select units for night vision), etc. just dumping average video quality on internal memory. The only thing the battery is powering is the circuit board to record the video (and as I said, possibly LED's).

Here is one available to the general public...

http://www.topdawgelectronics.com/eagle-eye-personal-dvr-camera/

The unit linked above can record up to 16 hours of video on a 32GB SDCard (Which really doesn't matter considering the battery only lasts for 7) which should be more than enough for a single shift (or even half a shift as you could check in and swap it out).

Also with continued use... these units performance (like any other device) will degrade.

Of course either you give the officers a "panic" button, to shut it off while taking bathroom breaks, etc. and record all of the time... or you make it activate as mentioned above when the officer exits the vehicle (or when the dash cam is activated). There has to be a trigger to turn it on though, or there will be a lot of "forgetting" to turn it on.

For that matter, you could somehow tie it into a contact in the seat belt. When the belt is removed, the camera immediately is active. Personally, I think that whenever the door is opened, the dash cam should kick on by default. I mean still have it on when you activate the lights, but in the event you don't have the tree on... it would be a failsafe. Then again, I also think there should be a dash and rear dash cam (panoramic) so that you pick up a lot wider angle.

Or hell, just provide headsets and helmets... tie everything into the helmet as a self contained device... you could even add a flexible solar panel coating to it and integrate the battery into the helmet to extend the charge.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I think LEO POV Cams will hurt a lot of feelings.

B/c it would show (immediately) and before the media corruption
    that the very high percentage of all these shootings are justified.
    So when that adds up to the statistics we see about crime,
    they gonna be upset about the truth.

What I don't like about the idea,
    is that people are more than likely going to do what they do here.
    Just b/c you seen the video, you think you know everything about the situation
    and would then be tempted to judge the situation solely from the video.

The visual perception from the video could be so strong
    that any other evidence might become moot to you
    b/c 'You know what you saw on the video'.

That attitude as a juror, could be devastating.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    With the technology I've seen... recording for an entire shift (the cameras will not be worn 24 hours) shouldn't be even be an issue if the departments spend the money and manage it correctly. These professional units (and those now being advanced with funding just because of this incident) aren't going to just pop in a AA battery and go. They are rechargable units that will last anywhere from 6 to 8 hours.

Remember, you're not talking about anything with a screen, lights, illumination (other than infra red on select units for night vision), etc. just dumping average video quality on internal memory. The only thing the battery is powering is the circuit board to record the video (and as I said, possibly LED's).

Here is one available to the general public...

http://www.topdawgelectronics.com/eagle-eye-personal-dvr-camera/

The unit linked above can record up to 16 hours of video on a 32GB SDCard (Which really doesn't matter considering the battery only lasts for 7) which should be more than enough for a single shift (or even half a shift as you could check in and swap it out).

Also with continued use... these units performance (like any other device) will degrade.

I'll tell ya that when it comes to this stuff, you get what you pay for. I've seen people dump 100 bucks into a camera to find out that after one jumble in a ditch it stops working, or that the video quality is so bad that its not even worth watching.

To spit out a subject that'll likely get panties twisted on an internet forum- the public won't want to see what it would record most often, anyway. I genuinely believe that ignorance is bliss when it comes to having someone deal with what officers deal with. I'll go ahead and volunteer that I had no F idea until I saw it.

Last edited:

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I know for a fact that my department, as well as the larger department that I am commissioned through will never hang something like that off of their uniform. That thing, as well as all the others I've seen like it looks like a cheap piece of ****. It will never have a place on our uniforms.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Personally, I'd rather see them implant these in the foreheads of repeat offenders. If only that were a possibility...... :dogkeke:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I know for a fact that my department, as well as the larger department that I am commissioned through will never hang something like that off of their uniform. That thing, as well as all the others I've seen like it looks like a cheap piece of ****. It will never have a place on our uniforms.

I've got similar comments a few times as well. "The rest of your uniform is so neat and that thing is just tacky" "Don't you have dash cams anyway?" "what, you're putting more crap on your gear?"

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Take a look around at other countries though and their officer uniforms... Our every-day officer uniforms are still more tame than some.

BRAZIL UNIFORMED POLICE
    Brazilian_Federal_Highway_Police.jpg

BRAZIL (ELITE OFFICER UNIFORM)
    article-0-1DD8362000000578-907_306x666.jpg

BRAZIL SPECIAL TACTICS UNIT
    brazil.jpg

RUSSIA POLICE
    C2F79BD0-0AF0-4DB2-9CD4-9CC244FC04FD_mw1024_s_n.jpg

RUSSIA SWAT (FSB)
    qYNxrvHbfWk.jpg

RUSSIA OMOH
    485563.jpg

TURKISH POLICE
    o-TURKEY-POLICE-DEATH-facebook.jpg

TURKISH SWAT
    3906.jpg

UK POLICE
    Metropolitan-Police.jpg

UK SWAT (ARMED RESPONSE)
    105717860_Tottenham_288947b.jpg

CANADIAN POLICE FORCE
    rcmp-academy-marching-cadets_5186-5084.jpg

CANADIAN SWAT (EMERGENCY TASK FORCE)
    602575.jpg

JAPANESE POLICE FORCE
    cove-police-cp-8987873.jpg

JAPANESE SWAT (SAT)
    xspecial_assault_team_SAT_japan.jpg.pagespeed.ic.MA0qLItvDc.jpg

RIO SWAT (BOPE)
    bope-rio-de-janeiro-elite-squad-2010-17.jpg

INDIA SWAT (INDIAS POLICE LOOK SIMILAR JUST WITHOUT THE BODY ARMOR).
    Commandos+of+the+Punjab+police+SWAT+force+Stadium+in+Mohali+on+March+29%252C+2011.+India+face+Pakistan++%25284%2529.jpg

SWISS SWAT TEAM
    090910_Swiss-SWAT.jpg

AVERAGE US OFFICER UNIFORM (NOTICE HE IS WEARING A SWAT BADGE)
    police-officer-hd-wallpaper.jpg

AVERAGE US SWAT UNIFORM
    swat_0410.jpg

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Can you cops just attach one of these to your police hats? I think it would provide a better perspective for the viewer, have crisper detail, and I know the audio would be enhanced. :mamoru:

Emp that gives me an idea. Okay, how about this:

If the technology is feasible and practical for my small dept agencies budget, why the hell doesn't the NFL (with their budget) have one on every player? NFL Sunday Ticket? I'd pay double to see a first person superbowl.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Okay, how about this!

If the technology is feasible and practical for my small dept agencies budget, why the hell doesn't the NFL (with their budget) have one on every player? NFL Sunday Ticket? I'd pay double to see a first person superbowl.

Not to derail this thread, but since you mentioned the NFL; I sent a letter to the NFL telling them that if they would allow field audio to play while they aired the game, that millions would pay a subscription fee to watch that uncensored telecast. Who wouldn't? That was 2 years ago.

Now they never acknowledged my letter (obviously they wouldn't want to pay me for the idea), but if they eventually do it; it was my idea! And I am not even kidding!

Ok! Back to cops and tanks! :p

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Pertinent to discussion, day shift I look like "Average US Officer" and nights I look like the first pic. I'm admittedly jealous that Brazil's swat team has Batman on duty.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Pertinent to discussion, day shift I look like "Average US Officer" and nights I look like the first pic. I'm admittedly jealous that Brazil's swat team has Batman on duty.

That's why he doesn't have an FAL rifle. He is just going to beat the suspect with his bare hands. Any attacker is going to need an ice pick to get to human tissue in that.

Now, that being stated; those whacky Brazilian criminals do fancy a good stabbing. :D

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    madwabbit, mild-mannered by day..... jack booted thug by night.... :noes: :run:

:rofl:

lol! just wait til I get to the milsurp outlet. I'm goin straight Russia on yall, and I'll take Tokyo's H2 for good measure.

Anyone that can see this post would drive that truck straight into a mud pit- don't lie.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    the manliest men in that roster are from the UK. No way I'd do the job with just a baton and a jogging vest.

and I'll bet Canada's SWAT has one seriously badass snowmobile.

Last edited:

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Nice ... oh wait ... :mamoru:

MV5BMTY1MDYxNDg3MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDg0MDk4Mg@@._  V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

Flashpoint.jpg

Hahaha... I fixed it. They are strikingly similar though! You must have caught it right as I was changing it. I added a couple more as well.

I knew if anyone would catch it, it would be hitman. He's probably researching every image for verification.

Last edited:

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I guess how much time is captured is dependent on the size of the media card. So the camera can record continuously until the battery goes dead, not any more of a problem than changing a radio battery. Here are recording times with different settings with a 32GB card, a 64GB card would double the record times. 60 frames per second is only needed for high speed subjects, 30 is fine for most situation considering most of the old film movie cameras used 16 frames per second. A 64GB card with the camera set to 30 frames per second and 720p definition would record 16 hours. I don't know what battery life would be.

http://gopro.com/support/articles/recording-time-in-each-video-setting

Last edited:
    Top Bottom