Live From Louis! Day 3

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    What happened after the backup gun drills? I left right before that because of the allergy crap. I really, really hated missing the last half of the last day.

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    He doesn't shoot while teaching. His demo gun is a Colt Commander that is completely, positively, absolutely rendered non-functional.

He daily carries a double-stack 1911 and an XD-45 compact. :naughty:

What kind of double stack 1911?

I disagree about the new shooter 1911 thing. Im a very new pistol shooter and I prefer a 1911 over every other pistol I have shot. Great trigger, points very naturally, and pretty simple to operate. A safety that is disabled when you properly grip the pistol is about as easy as it gets. The only drawback to a single stack 1911 is limited ammo. Also, I believe many 1911's jam at matches because people are trying to use as little powder as possible, have tighter and tighter tolerances, and tweak the guns so much. My factory 1911 with factory ammo has never even been cleaned and has never had a hiccup.

On another note, what was on that belt?

pmarti3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Guys, I had a great time and Louis' class really helped me out. I am pretty new to the game, yet my lack of experience did not prevent me from coming away with an incredible amount of useful info and techniques. We went through drills than are pretty much impossible to run anywhere else but at a class like that. You just can't do this stuff at a normal range. I agree with the rest of you guys that training is key and this class was easily worth $550. I definitely recommend it to anybody who gets the chance to take his class.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    What kind of double stack 1911?

I disagree about the new shooter 1911 thing. Im a very new pistol shooter and I prefer a 1911 over every other pistol I have shot. Great trigger, points very naturally, and pretty simple to operate. A safety that is disabled when you properly grip the pistol is about as easy as it gets. The only drawback to a single stack 1911 is limited ammo. Also, I believe many 1911's jam at matches because people are trying to use as little powder as possible, have tighter and tighter tolerances, and tweak the guns so much. My factory 1911 with factory ammo has never even been cleaned and has never had a hiccup.

On another note, what was on that belt?

He's talking about the manual safety.

TxShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    East Texas
    Actually, he DID have some mechanical issues. Not in his shooting form/skill; it was very good, especially considering he is somewhat of a newbie pistol shooter.

I was next to him on Relay 1 all morning the second day, and he missed the safety numerous times, as well as having to clear the pistol completely after retracting the slide a bit too far doing a press-check. He mentioned that he had a Glock 19 at home in New Mexico, and wished he had brought it because this 1911 "wasn't working out" for him. That's when I offered him my spare G19; his accuracy improved greatly, and he had zero functioning /shooting problems after that.

I know this sort of information greatly annoys the 1911 fan-boys, and they usually respond with the standard flurry of excuses. Spare us that please; this fellow was, I think, seriously beginning to question himself... until he got that VolksPistole in his hands. Then he rocked and rolled.

Said 1911 fan-boys would be apoplectic if they heard Louis' comments on the "$5000 pimp guns" :D He went into a lot more detail than I would have expected... and told it EXACTLY like it is.

Well, as owner of a 1911 pimp gun (not quite $5K, but it does have ivory grips and a sharkskin holster), I might be inclined to challenge him to a duel. Except I'd be too afraid he'd go for a preemptive strike while I was sleeping. :D

I like the 1911, but admit they don't work well for everybody. No need for excuses....if a Glock, SIG, S&W, or Colt breaks, I want to know how so I can make sure the same thing doesn't happen to mine.

TxShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    East Texas
    [QUOTE Big bonedQUOTE]

Now wait just a damn minute! I happen to share that same frame size...I prefer "solid." How're we supposed to help it if some of y'all are little enough to fit women's extra-small T-shirts?

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    He carries a custom 9mm double stack.

I love the 1911 - I've built two and for training or competition, it is my favorite platform. I've carried them as well. If there were real trouble, I wouldn't hesistate to pick up a 1911.

Now, that said -

The man that posted his well founded, hard earned opinion about the 1911 was using it as God and J Moses Browning intended before I was born. He has trained thousands of shooters for the state police. He has kicked in more doors on SWAT raids than 99% of this board every will in their most exciting wet dream, and that is a relatively boring part of his decorated career...

Hence, as a "very new" pistol shooter I'd use your ears (or eyes, as it were) more and mouth (fingers) less ;)

In all seriousness, the 1911 is a fantastic platform but under real pressure, statistically, you are one million times more like to miss the grip safety or manual thumb safety on a 1911 than you are on, say, a Glock or a revolver.

Just a thought. :p

I just thought as a "new" pistol shooter, I might be able to offer input on what a great platform the 1911 is for "new" pistol shooters. ;)

I gotcha though.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA

I love the 1911 - I've built two and for training or competition, it is my favorite platform. I've carried them as well. If there were real trouble, I wouldn't hesistate to pick up a 1911.

Now, that said -

The man that posted his well founded, hard earned opinion about the 1911 was using it as God and J Moses Browning intended before I was born. He has trained thousands of shooters for the state police. He has kicked in more doors on SWAT raids than 99% of this board every will in their most exciting wet dream, and that is a relatively boring part of his decorated career...

Hence, as a "very new" pistol shooter I'd use your ears (or eyes, as it were) more and mouth (fingers) less ;)

In all seriousness, the 1911 is a fantastic platform but under real pressure, statistically, you are one million times more like to miss the grip safety or manual thumb safety on a 1911 than you are on, say, a Glock or a revolver.

Just a thought. :p

+1

I know Pntballer means well, but as a "new pistol shooter" what experience is your opinion based on? Shoot some more rounds on a few more platforms, and you will see. 1911 is definitely a tried and true platform, but it has its idiosyncrasies that many new shooters would be better tackling after they have mastered the fundamentals on a less sensitive "platform."

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

No, he doesn't. He carries a .45 double-stack. Para Ordnance frame, everything else old-fashioned Colt. Weren't you there when he and I were discussing it?

The rest of the post was spot on. You 1911 defenders need to simmer down. Nobody is knocking the 1911, this was completely situational.

Top Bottom