Recommendations on Gun for Granny?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    "What's an extractor?"
    -My mom
    Maybe show her one?

I appreciate the few helpful comments in this thread. To those of you think charging a glock for mom and leaving it with her is a good idea, that just sounds like a way for my mom to shoot herself with a firearm she has no experience with to me. At least you stopped suggesting ARs... lol
    I think any of the instructors on here will tell you that almost anybody in the world is capable of charging a semi-auto, if they're shown the proper method. My guess is she's trying to slingshot it, no?

Waiting on feedback from my brother, but going to look strong for a DA/ SA in 22 mag, .32 long, or maybe .22lr or last choice .38

My mom was born in the 1930's. She understands how a revolver works. There won't be such a learning curve. Those of you who keep harping on revolvers being too small, light, are oblivious to the fact I want to keep the caliber small. 357? I would agree with your comments. Also, no matter the gun I don't expect her to perform quick, accurate follow up shots. Or any tactical TV police woman reloads... (probably not any reloads...)
    Why does she need to understand how the gun works? Just point it at what you want dead and pull the trigger until it dies. And if you're so worried about her not being able to reload a semi-auto, it sure seems like like a weaker, lower-capacity revolver is exactly the wrong choice. Oh and also, if you do go with a larger revolver you are aware that you can shoot .38spl out of a .357, right?

If I buy her a 32long and it hurts her hand when she shoots it, I'll apologize. I think we'll be ok though.

Thanks again,
    -Neal

PS she has 3 dogs in the house right now. One trusted neighbor is still across the street. Of course, I'm in Afghanistan, and her other three living sons are in Texas...

Sorry dude, I know this argument is pretty dead and you might have already gotten her a gun, but it just sounds like you've already made up your mind and you're ignoring people on here trying to help you out. I think it's called being stubborn :dunno:

turboneal

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2010
    Vernon Parish
    If you cant trust her with a gun, why are you getting her a gun? If you cant depend on her to not shoot something on accident, she shouldn't have a gun.

I thought we had moved on from AR's and Glocks... I think I've already covered the fact that my mom understands how a revolver works and everything might as well be a ray gun to her. Would I "trust" her with a revolver or single shot shotgun? Yes. Would I BURDEN her with a Glock or an AR? No. Anything else you say to the contrary of that is just wasting both of our time. Then again, most of your posts do already...

-Neal

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Would I "trust" her with a revolver or single shot shotgun? Yes

.......... Anything else you say to the contrary of that is just wasting both of our time....

Sounds like you have answered your question. Get her a revolver or a single shot shotgun.

Last edited:

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    .22 revolver, my ten year old handles hers quite well. I've been shooting .22 rimfire all my life and can count the mis-fires I've had on one hand. and even if it misfires just pull the trigger again.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    "What's an extractor?"
    -My mom

I appreciate the few helpful comments in this thread. To those of you think charging a glock for mom and leaving it with her is a good idea, that just sounds like a way for my mom to shoot herself with a firearm she has no experience with to me. At least you stopped suggesting ARs... lol

Waiting on feedback from my brother, but going to look strong for a DA/ SA in 22 mag, .32 long, or maybe .22lr or last choice .38

My mom was born in the 1930's. She understands how a revolver works. There won't be such a learning curve. Those of you who keep harping on revolvers being too small, light, are oblivious to the fact I want to keep the caliber small. 357? I would agree with your comments. Also, no matter the gun I don't expect her to perform quick, accurate follow up shots. Or any tactical TV police woman reloads... (probably not any reloads...)

If I buy her a 32long and it hurts her hand when she shoots it, I'll apologize. I think we'll be ok though.

Thanks again,
    -Neal

PS she has 3 dogs in the house right now. One trusted neighbor is still across the street. Of course, I'm in Afghanistan, and her other three living sons are in Texas...

This thread is an outstanding example of why people shouldn't post "What gun should I buy for __?" questions on any forum. Of the +/- 50 respondents, roughly 10% know what they are talking about. And no offense, but if you have to ask for input from random members, you really won't be able to differentiate between the good advice and the bad advice.

Send VG a PM. Or send one to LSP972, or to Pangris, or to Spanky. One of them will surely take the time to provide some solid advice. Public opinion polls are not a great basis for self defense decisions.

In the meantime, please dispense with any more thoughts of a rimfire handgun. And pay attention to what's been said about the airweight revolvers being a poor choice for many elderly, untrained gun owners.

p.s. I won't be surprised when/if one of the 95% jumps in to flame what I just posted.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I thought we had moved on from AR's and Glocks... I think I've already covered the fact that my mom understands how a revolver works and everything might as well be a ray gun to her. Would I "trust" her with a revolver or single shot shotgun? Yes. Would I BURDEN her with a Glock or an AR? No. Anything else you say to the contrary of that is just wasting both of our time. Then again, most of your posts do already...

-Neal
    I didn't realize I said glock or ar in any of my posts in this thread. Actually, i havent suggested a gun at all. I just don't see how you can trust her to not point a gun at something then pull the trigger with one gun but not another. You are either bullshiting because it is more convenient than discussing ideas which differ from your premade solution or you think your grandmother is an idiot who cant follow the most basic rules. If you tell her she should treat every gun like it is loaded, and you still can't trust her not to blow a hole threw drew Carey's head on her tv while watching the price is right, she shouldn't have a gun. If you don't think she can be safe with a gun, regardless of glock or revolver, you shouldn't be handing her either.

Nice job by the way, ask a question, then act like someone gave you a sandpaper Kotex when you get an answer.

Last edited:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA

-Neal

Thank you for making it clear to me that my post made sense.

turboneal

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2010
    Vernon Parish
    This thread is an outstanding example of why people shouldn't post "What gun should I buy for __?" questions on any forum. Of the +/- 50 respondents, roughly 10% know what they are talking about. And no offense, but if you have to ask for input from random members, you really won't be able to differentiate between the good advice and the bad advice.

Send VG a PM. Or send one to LSP972, or to Pangris, or to Spanky. One of them will surely take the time to provide some solid advice. Public opinion polls are not a great basis for self defense decisions.

In the meantime, please dispense with any more thoughts of a rimfire handgun. And pay attention to what's been said about the airweight revolvers being a poor choice for many elderly, untrained gun owners.

p.s. I won't be surprised when/if one of the 95% jumps in to flame what I just posted.

I was open anything at first but narrowed the choices down to some sort of revolver like 2 pages ago.... I established that my gun knowledge doesn't extend far beyond the AK... The only revolver I own is a S&W Model 29.

I've never shot a revolver smaller than .357. I didn't know they MADE .38 NON special anymore so I'd like to look into that. If she can handle it great. Other wise, will need something smaller. (Please understand that I am so happy she wants a gun in her house again I'd much rather her be proficient with a 22 than scared of some dirty harry magnum or confused by an automatic.... We're not debating stopping power, etc.)

So let's say .22 LR to .38 NON Special is our caliber range. SPECIFIC Revolver recommendations only at this point. Everyone else please GTFO.

-Neal

turboneal

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2010
    Vernon Parish
    Thank you for making it clear to me that my post made sense.

My internet is too shitty here in the 'stan to reply to everything but to everyone that has tried to look at the actualy situation and offer advice, I appreciate it. Especially the revolver advice.

Last edited:

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Pocket/Purse Berreta 22

Berreta Model 21A Bobcat 22 lr

This

3dn951v2c080bhmskw7.jpg

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    I was looking at .22s at the gun store yesterday. Taurus has a 9 shot 22 convertible now, with both lr and mag cylinders and it has a 4 inch barrel. Is part of the Tracker line.

Any full size non lightweight 357/38 loaded with 38 special will have pretty low recoil.

Maybe a .410 SxS as they are really simple to operate as well.

Or a S&W .460 loaded with .45LC no recoil but really heavy :draw:.

Glocker

Avid Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    West Monroe
    After reading all 4 pages of responses my IQ has dropped drastically. :crazy: To the OP no one can make that decision for Granny without knowing her physical ability/condition. As far as most everything else I read its probably best I don't respond.

Top Bottom