Revolvers......a rich man's hobby?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Recently I had to unload more than a few revolvers to aid in acquiring this house that my wife and I finally agreed on. Unfortunately, I had to sell just about all of my S&W, Ruger and Colt revolvers to obtain this domicile. Well, we close on this house in about a week and I started looking at revolver prices for the fun of it......I was shocked! What I used to buy for around $400 or less I can't touch nowadays for under $600!! I'm not talking about surplus 66s or 64s, I mean the 19s 27s 28s 29s snd so forth. Outrageous prices and people are paying them!

Am I the only one or do you all see it too? Revolvers are becoming more out of reach with the everyday folk. I'm left with two 642s and a few 9mm and .40 pistols. Even revolver ammo is getting scarce.

What say you?

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    $400 -> $600 is not exactly outrageous... especially if it's for some collectible type item no longer in production.

These days, to me, revolvers are more of a novelty and necessarily should be better in the fit/finish department, and thus cost more money.

candrews86

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    Lake Charles
    Any N frame thats 97% or better with the presentation box will go for $1000+ easy, especially if it's 5" or less. It'll only go up

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I'd say it depends on the revolver....

2012-07-29T013052Z_1_CBRE86S047K00_RTROPTP_2_PHILIPPINES.jpg

Big H

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 3, 2010
    Lake Charles, La. 70607
    Have you noticed that JUST ABOUT everything else is going up in price also---some of it "outa sight".
    These quality firearm prices have been inching up for years and will continue to do as long people are
    willing to pay the price. OH WELL!!!!!!!

ColbyLang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Lafayette
    Ive been a semi auto shooter forever. I want a revolver, one caught my eye recently while browsing at Lafayette Shooters. Chiappa Rhino. Love the look of that handgun

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    These days, to me, revolvers are more of a novelty and necessarily should be better in the fit/finish department, and thus cost more money.

Long are the days of Revolvers being a superior fighting gun. I think the Chiappa Rhino's were the last stab at trying to make a solid fighting revolver. Airweight J Frame's have their place, but with today's technology, there are some pretty impressive sub compact autos (Glock 42).

I am not surprised that they went from $400 to $600+ though. Glocks were cheap once, too.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I tend to think that there is a difference between an old Smith & Wesson and a collectable Smith & Wesson, but apparently sellers at gun shows dispute that reasoning. Anything on a table that is not a new Airweight or Bodyguard is priced as if it's a last-of-it's-kind treasure. I like 'em, but I'm not putting down $600 for a model 36 with more scratches than my 5-year-old eyeglasses and grips that look like a dog chewed on 'em just because it was made before the scandium days.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Pretty sure my 10-7 is worth so little I wouldn't ever bother selling even if I didn't want it. I doubt anyone is trying to get much for those, though.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I buy Smith wheel guns for the right price every chance I get. Last year, I scored a 2.5" Combat Masterpiece(nickel) for $400. It is so nice that I will not shoot it. I will not pay full value, but I do not pass on a bargain.
    Sometimes I carry a Smith Mod 60 .357mag. I do not think that a perp who gets shot with it will be thinking about how "out dated" my revolver might be.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Revolvers aren't JUST for carry.

I love knocking down steel plates with my Blackhawks.

Try loading for any auto to the levels some of my revolvers will handle.

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    I scored a Stainless Colt Anaconda .44mag with cusom wood grips for $400 about 5yrs ago. That thing is going to my grave with me. I would love to get my hands on a Stainless Python to compliment it but I only have 2 legs and 2 arms and I wanna keep 'em.

Top Bottom