Revolvers......a rich man's hobby?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Thus proving the point that they are more of a novelty these days.

Yea. Right. :rofl:

Because I can slam steel plates with a revolver, it's a novelty. Logic at it's finest.

Let's try this logic.

I have thirteen stainless steel screws, and three plates in my right heel. It pains me to police my brass when my automatics spew the cases all over the range.

Since I reload all of my ammunition, including the ammunition I carry for defensive purposes, I prefer revolvers. It makes it easier for me to police my brass.

Since I carry what I practice with, I carry revolvers. I shoot an average of two hundred rounds a week, out of revolvers.

If I am going into a situation where I think I need more than my revolver, I don't go. If I MUST go, I carry a rifle, not a pistol.

Last edited:

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I never shoot any of my revolvers for fun; or anything else for that reason. And I have some really nice ones! I don't like to get rid of any guns once I own them, but am I being foolish here? I mean, if I thought I had $2-3K worth of revolvers (and I do), what am I holding on to them for?

Can someone give me a good reason why I shouldn't sell them?

You will regret down the road when they go up in value. My first revolver was a Smith Mod 66 4" that I got for $200. I still have it and am glad that I turned down offers to buy it over the years.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Yea. Right. :rofl:

Because I can slam steel plates with a revolver, it's a novelty. Logic at it's finest.

Let's try this logic.

I have thirteen stainless steel screws, and three plates in my right heel. It pains me to police my brass when my automatics spew the cases all over the range.

Since I reload all of my ammunition, including the ammunition I carry for defensive purposes, I prefer revolvers. It makes it easier for me to police my brass.

Since I carry what I practice with, I carry revolvers. I shoot an average of two hundred rounds a week, out of revolvers.

If I am going into a situation where I think I need more than my revolver, I don't go. If I MUST go, I carry a rifle, not a pistol.

Yayyyyy another BayouShooter pissing contest. Here we go, fellas!

How about I change my wording a bit? Revolvers are a niche market in an already niche market. Would you agree then?

Also, when did I say that slamming steel plates meant that a Revolver was a novelty? I didn't.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Yayyyyy another BayouShooter pissing contest. Here we go, fellas!

How about I change my wording a bit? Revolvers are a niche market in an already niche market. Would you agree then?

Also, when did I say that slamming steel plates meant that a Revolver was a novelty? I didn't.

You're a drama magnet! :D

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Prices have gone up, but I still manage to score them for 400 or so. Picked up a nice 66 snub for 400 recently. Prelock if memory serves me correctly. Also got a very nice 29 pre lock 8 3/8" for 600.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Just because something is a novelty doesn't mean it's not practical. IMO it's similar to HK P7... you buy it for the uniqueness, the fit/finish, the specialness, sort of like wearing a rolex when a quartz watch or checking your phone would do the same job.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I went through that years ago. I've sold all the crap (yes crap regardless of quality or price) that I don't use or want or has no family ties. I got out of buying a lot of stuff just to have quite a while ago. The last revolver I had was a S&W Highway Patrolman. Yes it was a nice revolver but it does nothing (for me) better than my semi autos.

And to those saying revolvers never jam that is wrong. I've seen multiple revolver issues. Back when the EBRSO had a lot of 686's there were different issues occasionally. I'm willing to bet I can shoot more rounds through my Glock without cleaning than a lot of revolvers.

I suppose since they are unencumbered and not costing me anything to just sit there, I can just keep them and pass them to my kids. As the kids mature, they can decide what they want to do with them. If there was a wasted space component or financial burden I guess I would feel differently. I know for certain, that if I couldn't store them safely in my own home under my own care, and without it causing a living space shortage; they would be history. I am not going to be responsible for any firearm I can't taste, touch, or feel that isn't walking distance from my living room or under key at my own business. Not in this overly litigious, blame the good guy, society.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I suppose since they are unencumbered and not costing me anything to just sit there, I can just keep them and pass them to my kids. As the kids mature, they can decide what they want to do with them. If there was a wasted space component or financial burden I guess I would feel differently. I know for certain, that if I couldn't store them safely in my own home under my own care, and without it causing a living space shortage; they would be history. I am not going to be responsible for any firearm I can't taste, touch, or feel that isn't walking distance from my living room or under key at my own business. Not in this overly litigious, blame the good guy, society.

There is an opportunity cost that comes with the ownership of any asset. Theoretically (and realistically) those could be liquidated and free up money to do other things, or simply additional funds in your retirement account, growing year after year. ;)

However, the value to you of knowing it's there is worth something as well. That's pretty much the reason I have my small collection as none of it provides me any functional value :)

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    There is an opportunity cost that comes with the ownership of any asset. Theoretically (and realistically) those could be liquidated and free up money to do other things, or simply additional funds in your retirement account, growing year after year. ;)

However, the value to you of knowing it's there is worth something as well. That's pretty much the reason I have my small collection as none of it provides me any functional value :)

I see your point, but if money or as you say, a liquidated asset necessity, was not an issue; the collection of the revolvers is even less meaningful. Even to the retirement fund point, if a person is financially solvent in preparation for retirement, then again; they are meaningless unless you enjoy shooting them/actually utilizing them. Let's say hypothetically, they are worth $5000 if sold out right at market value. If that bit of money was not going to break you, help you, or do anything for your retirement, you just have hunks of metal and wood that shoot bullets.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Prices have gone up, but I still manage to score them for 400 or so. Picked up a nice 66 snub for 400 recently. Prelock if memory serves me correctly. Also got a very nice 29 pre lock 8 3/8" for 600.

Those were smart buys. Those are better than money in the bank.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    I have never viewed revolvers as investment pieces. I have never owned a revolver because of it's inherent value or future value. By choice, I am a revolver enthusiast and a revolver shooter. If anything......at least by chance, I have made better turnarounds with semi autos.....Glocks, in particular. I don't sell revolvers unless I absolutely have to. Semi autos tend to hit the classifieds more often in my realm because, to be quite frank, I get bored with them. Yes, I do own at least a couple of semis but the revos tend to stay longer because I use them and carry them.

I have never had to worry about finding revolvers in the past because I've had so many of them. Back in the day (pre house buying mode) I just happen on revolver deals and aquire them if the deal is right. Lately, I've been on the hunt for wheelguns since I unloaded quite a few of them in hopes of strengthening my house buying funds. Now that house buying is pretty much done I started searching for good deals on revolvers, but to no avail..... hence this post.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    I have never viewed revolvers as investment pieces. I have never owned a revolver because of it's inherent value or future value. By choice, I am a revolver enthusiast and a revolver shooter. If anything......at least by chance, I have made better turnarounds with semi autos.....Glocks, in particular. I don't sell revolvers unless I absolutely have to. Semi autos tend to hit the classifieds more often in my realm because, to be quite frank, I get bored with them. Yes, I do own at least a couple of semis but the revos tend to stay longer because I use them and carry them.

I have never had to worry about finding revolvers in the past because I've had so many of them. Back in the day (pre house buying mode) I just happen on revolver deals and aquire them if the deal is right. Lately, I've been on the hunt for wheelguns since I unloaded quite a few of them in hopes of strengthening my house buying funds. Now that house buying is pretty much done I started searching for good deals on revolvers, but to no avail..... hence this post.

TTNKountze

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Anyone who questions the utility of a revolver needs to spend a little time watching Jerry Michulek and what he can do with one.

wiliermdb

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2014
    Prairieville, LA
    I purchased a Ruger GP .357 in the early 90's for $359 at Sports Unlimited. The current model is $600 plus. Revolvers are great but new stock is too much for my wallet.

Top Bottom