Revolvers......a rich man's hobby?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Revolvers a novelty? Hardly..... but I get your point. Still a good self defense tool and not to be taken lightly. Not as many advantages over semi autos but they have their place in this era of self protection. I carry my 642s all the time when I know I'm going to be in "non challenging" areas. However, when I know I'm going into the **** or close to it, I do carry appropriately...... meaning higher capacity tools.

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    I almost traded a 27-2 I paid $500 for years ago for an excellent condition 3rd gen+ PVS-14...

... eventually I backed out because the PVS is falling in value every day, and the 27-2 is rising steady.

They will never make them like that again.

Back then, hand fitting was cheap, machines were expensive, and the blue was so deep you can see into it.

Now it is all CNC and paint jobs.

Is that bad? No, there are a lot of amazing guns coming on line and it has a place in carry pieces etc... But P&R'd S&Ws, or if you prefer pre-war, or Colts, or whatever - if quality is on the tabel they are a blue chip stock.

As far as revolvers being a novelty, I occasionally carry a 681 3" with 7 rounds of 357 mag. It shoots straight. I don't feel like I'm giving up much to an auto in practice when I carry that.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I never shoot any of my revolvers for fun; or anything else for that reason. And I have some really nice ones! I don't like to get rid of any guns once I own them, but am I being foolish here? I mean, if I thought I had $2-3K worth of revolvers (and I do), what am I holding on to them for?

Can someone give me a good reason why I shouldn't sell them?

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Revolvers a novelty? Hardly..... but I get your point. Still a good self defense tool and not to be taken lightly. Not as many advantages over semi autos but they have their place in this era of self protection. I carry my 642s all the time when I know I'm going to be in "non challenging" areas. However, when I know I'm going into the **** or close to it, I do carry appropriately...... meaning higher capacity tools.
    I've seen this said before and it confuses me. What's the point? An LCR or 642 is thicker than my automatic, weighs as much or more, and gives up 4 rounds. Why would I carry something bulkier just because I probably won't need those 4 rounds?

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    I think the best thing about revolvers vs semi-autos is I've never heard of a revolver "jamming" or having a FTE. I also think it's a nostalgia factor, but when it comes to CC it's hard to beat high capacity. Just my $.02

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Hamilton Bowen had a lot of praise for the finish work that went into mid 60's and earlier S&Ws. Skills that are mostly lost today. You might enjoy his book, The Custom Revolver.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I never shoot any of my revolvers for fun; or anything else for that reason. And I have some really nice ones! I don't like to get rid of any guns once I own them, but am I being foolish here? I mean, if I thought I had $2-3K worth of revolvers (and I do), what am I holding on to them for?

Can someone give me a good reason why I shouldn't sell them?

They may continue to appreciate.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I've seen this said before and it confuses me. What's the point? An LCR or 642 is thicker than my automatic, weighs as much or more, and gives up 4 rounds. Why would I carry something bulkier just because I probably won't need those 4 rounds?

Better sights is one pro to most automatics. As it relates to having more rounds, I don't know if hoping you won't need more is a good place to be. If you need any, you are already very far outside the norm.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    They may continue to appreciate.

To what end? When I am dead and can't use the guns or the money? To make my kids happy? To be able to say, "I have some too?"

I have them in a safe. No one even gets to appreciate them on display or covet them. :D

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    To what end? When I am dead and can't use the guns or the money? To make my kids happy? To be able to say, "I have some too?"

I have them in a safe. No one even gets to appreciate them on display or covet them. :D

How far do you think you are from the grave? Hope the outlook isn't that bad.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans

For me, an airweight j frame is 10x more comfy to carry than even a single stack. Why? I don't know why.....it just is. I work in the french quarter and find myself carrying the G27 more often than not as of late.

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville

I went through that years ago. I've sold all the crap (yes crap regardless of quality or price) that I don't use or want or has no family ties. I got out of buying a lot of stuff just to have quite a while ago. The last revolver I had was a S&W Highway Patrolman. Yes it was a nice revolver but it does nothing (for me) better than my semi autos.

And to those saying revolvers never jam that is wrong. I've seen multiple revolver issues. Back when the EBRSO had a lot of 686's there were different issues occasionally. I'm willing to bet I can shoot more rounds through my Glock without cleaning than a lot of revolvers.

Top Bottom