what is going on in the classifieds?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph
    I also like the guys who post on used guns at 120% of new cost... "nice price" "shouldn't last long"

and then there are the guys that don't have anything else nice to say so they post... "great gun from a great seller"

I guess the extra cost pays for the commedy! :rofl:

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Anybody ever see this 'Bruce' guy who post on LA Sportsman? He prices just about every used gun he sells at or above the cost of new. Obviously, somebody is paying it because the guns just keep on coming.

Yep, I've seen him. The one that types in all CAPS half the time? Bought something from him a few years ago. Took a LOT to wiggle him down.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Its not just recently. Its been 95% of every classified ad on every forum ive ever seen. People believe their used gun or "lightly used" gun in their own opinion is good enough for retail pricing. Many times they get sold just because people like that their is no paper trail with the gun.

I always list my guns about $25-50 high because there isn't a decent person on this forum that will pay asking price. Every time I've listed anything for sale I've always had a handful of jackasses lowball the hell out of me like they work for Pawn Stars. Hell I've even had people PM me asking if I'd be willing to give them stuff because of some situation going on in their lives that apparently entitles them to other people's hard earned possessions.

I'm sure I'm not the only one on this forum who feels that way :dunno:

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    Yea. But isn't a used $600 17 better than a new one for $475? I mean it cost more. So it should be more better. :rofl:

It's because its broke in. By shooting 500 rounds thru the used Glock they have saved you the cost of ammo that you would need to shoot thru the new Glock.

Of course you should pay the extra for them performing such a valuable service

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I will just sit over here in ponchatoula, and continue on. It doesn't bother me when people sell stuff so high anymore, I laugh.

BTW I may have a gen 3 glock 23 coming, probably going to sell it around $375. (that's how you price a used gun)

Damn why don't I ever see the 9mm versions selling this good :mad: I don't want to get into another caliber :(

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    I am going to have to go with the argument that it is up to the buyers to keep things right. If the price is to high then keep looking. I do not believe you should post a comment in the thread making a remark about the price or even make an offer in the thread. Do it by PM. I think when comments are made it bumps the post up and can knock down other ads that are more in line with correct pricing. I think that it also somehow make the thread "hot" and people will look at it more often when the high price should just be ignored. I agree with the post that we don't really know what things are being sold for as many deals happen and prices may be negotiated behind the scenes.
    As far as honesty well, unfortunately, the world is full of dishonest people and you can only make sure you keep your conscience clear. I hope I have never traded or sold to someone who felt like I screwed them. I think my rating would say I have not but I certainly feel as if I have represented myself well. I also don't know if I have ever not done some negotiating with the guns I have sold. And, as for the claim of some guns being unfired, come on. We are all collectors of firearms. Unless you are using it for your job or competing do you really need 5 guns. Sure there is hunting and certain types of shooting people do but I know I have bought and sold or traded guns I never shot. That is why we are here on this forum. We LIKE guns. I have also had guns that just did not work for me and I turned them around without ever firing them. It does make me a little nervous to turn a gun around without making sure it shoots (other than dry firing and cleaning the thing) but it has happened. I had a M & P 9c that I thought I wanted but every time I took it out of the case and held it I just did not get a good feeling. That went on for about a month or so of taking it out of the case and wanting to like it and never making it to the range. Hell, maybe I would have loved the way it shot. That is the thing. I know I would not want someone saying they wanted a gun I put up and then have them show up and hold the gun and then say they did not want it after all. I am not a gun store and if you say you want to buy it and I mark it SPF then you should follow through with it. The classifieds are only as good as the people who take part in it.
    Now, my gripe with the classifieds is that everyone needs to remain vigilant and mark things sold when sold and close the threads. It is a little frustrating when old threads are resurrected that have been sold for months.

Joshlala

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Maybe I have a unique approach to online classified ads, I see them all as comparable to walking into a use car dealership. I will not buy anything until I can physically look it over and make sure things look okay. I expect the price to be a little higher (maybe $50 at the most) to leave room for negotiating but other than that I just ignore every ad about a gun that some guy bought, put a bipod and a scope on and expects to get paid retail for everything as well as another $500 for his labor of attaching everything.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    Maybe I have a unique approach to online classified ads, I see them all as comparable to walking into a use car dealership. I will not buy anything until I can physically look it over and make sure things look okay. I expect the price to be a little higher (maybe $50 at the most) to leave room for negotiating but other than that I just ignore every ad about a gun that some guy bought, put a bipod and a scope on and expects to get paid retail for everything as well as another $500 for his labor of attaching everything.

You must be referring to the one that had me so pissed this morning!! It was an insult!!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom