So all I wanted to do was get rid of a 'possum...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Now we all know most city-folk go plumb crazy at the sight of any animal that didn't come from the pen of Walt Disney or the display widow of Puppies-R-Us down by the Mall. So it shouldn't be surprising that the laws have gotten a little nutty where the wild things are concerned.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

The state Wildlife laws call opossums "nuisance animals" which can be taken anytime without license or permit. They suggest that you shoot the critters. However, the City of New Orleans has laws pre-dating pre-emption that prohibit "hunting" in the city limits. This includes shooting with any type of weapon, gun, bow, etc. And other methods of bumping them off are considered animal cruelty.

So it was, back not too long ago, that when someone in New Orleans had a problem with opossums, they'd just pick up the phone and call the SPCA (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals). Then they'd send Bubba out with his traps, Bubba would catch a mess of 'possum for dinner, and everyone would be happy - except the opossum, I guess. Then Katrina hit, and things changed. The SPCA (and much of the city) was taken over by Northeastern Liberal Animal-rightists, and their fellow travelers. Laws got changed. (You can't even own a fertile dog or cat unless you have a "breeder's license," but I digress).

The SPCA let Bubba go and wouldn't come trap anything, although they WOULD let you trap it yourself and bring it to them. So, over time, I can't even count how many of the durn things I've brought them, because another section of state law says you can't release a wild animal into the wild, unless it's on your own property. This arangement worked reasonably well.

Until now.

Now The SPCA wants a $25 handling fee to take the critter off of your hands, and then you may not drop one off for a year. I was stunned when I walked in to the place today and they told me that - well at least when a Supervisor came out and told me that after the counter workers all cowered in fear at the mighty opossum hissing in the cage in my hand.

So I did the only thing I could do.

I turned around and drove the opposum back to my place, and in my best Humphrey Bogart imitation told him, "Well, Louie, it looks like the Warden's gotten you a reprieve."

Then I gave him a stern lecture about not leaving my property once I released him, but he was obviously a psychotic, anti-social, deviant opossum with no regard for the law, because no sooner had I opened the cage in my front yard, when he bolted down the street as fast as his stumpy little legs could carry him.

So now I guess we'll just have to put up with the dog barking all night long at the opossums in the area. Then the SPCA can come fine me for violating the anti-barking dog ordinance.

Unless, of course, someone has a solution to the problem that won't get me fined or arrested - or cost me an arm and a leg.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    If the New Orleans people could learn to drive outside the City there are many wooded areas to drop critters off safely in the woods. :)

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Prime example of stupid laws being stupid there. I certainly won't advocate breaking any laws, but I think a very quiet pellet gun would work wonders for you.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    If the New Orleans people could learn to drive outside the City there are many wooded areas to drop critters off safely in the woods. :)

That's exactly what I wanted to do at first, but state law prohibits it - even on a wildlife refuge. I mean, come on, don't you think the gators down in Bayou Sauvage wouldn't like a new pal?

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    If it were me I would drop the off at the spca at night when no one is there. Just make sure to either check for cameras or cover your plate when dropping them off. Then they would get to deal with the problem without the benefit of you being nice enough to trap them and do the right thing.

I've just recently got some traps for the cats in my neighborhood that people keep feeding... I was thinking of dropping them off since I don't want to kill them I just want them to stop going in my flower beds and keep them from bringing fleas back in my yard.

Last edited:

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Next time just release the possum in the SPCA office....and walk away.

Brother I ThOUGHT about it!

If it were me I would drop the off at the spca at night when no one is there. Just make sure to either check for cameras or cover your plate when dropping them off. Then they would get to deal with the problem without the benefit of you being nice enough to trap them and do the right thing.

I've just recently got some traps for the cats in my neighborhood that people keep feeding... I was thinking of dropping them off since I don't want to kill them I just want them to stop going in my flower beds and keep them from bringing fleas back in my yard.

Well, since the place was built with FEMA money, they probably have all kinds of high-tech see-in-the-dark cameras in place for when it's needed as a FEMA detention facility - besides, it's not a good neighborhood at night.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I thought there was a possum in my yard... Been digging up the grass in the front yard... Thought SURE I found him the other night, grabbed ol' faithful, it was mine!

Then noticed it looked stupid, cause it kept running in circles...okay, I won't feel bad for shooting a stupid possum, damn things tearing up the yard!

I get about 20 yards away, about to pop him, he starts running towards me!! Oh hell no, now it's a stupid rabbied possum!! It gets closer..and closer..

...and it's one of the neighbors 20 cats, it's black and the damn thing had a cheeto bag on it's head!! Cat almost had a surprise if it hadn't ran towards me..

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Drop 'em in the projects. The police don't go there often. The local gang bangers have no problem shooting things in there. Plus they need the practice! Maybe they'll start actually hitting who they're trying to kill... instead of the 5 year old down the block!

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    My neighbor was having a skunk problem here in EBR . Animal Control gave him a trap and when he got one all he had to do was call them. They would come and get it. The told him if the were healthy they took them to Devil Swamp and cut them loose.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    My neighbor was having a skunk problem here in EBR . Animal Control gave him a trap and when he got one all he had to do was call them. They would come and get it. The told him if the were healthy they took them to Devil Swamp and cut them loose.

(Huge Sigh) Gee, that would be swell. And it makes sense, too. I wonder what it takes to get a wildlife license to do that myself?

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Start a business on the side and get some ammo money. It works on Plank Rd. in BR. :D

Heine004.jpg

Last edited:

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Burlap sack and drainage canal?

Seems like the only option they leave you with... A shot would be much quicker and preferable although I'd still release it on their property...

Top Bottom