So all I wanted to do was get rid of a 'possum...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    My grandfather used to "take" coons and possums under his house in Old Metry all the time with a Browning .22 pistol. Never was an issue.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I'd get a havahart trap & relocate if you don't want to kill it. Then go release it somewhere at night. Chances are you won't be followed by anyone with the Bureau of Possums. :D

It's really too bad your issue isn't with raccoons. We happen to have someone here with extensive experience in dealing with those critters. :chuckles:

O_R_B_1

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    New Orleans, La.
    Cage, 55 gal. drum of water. Go Titanic on his ass. Let him into the water slooowwww. Video it, then post the video for all of his little possum buddies to see. They'll think twice about invading your yard! :P

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Cage, 55 gal. drum of water. Go Titanic on his ass. Let him into the water slooowwww. Video it, then post the video for all of his little possum buddies to see. They'll think twice about invading your yard! :P

Eh. As much as they are nuisances you're kind of just doing that for your own entertainment.

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Call Billy the Exterminator....he probably needs the money. I think his show was cancelled.

billy-the-exterminator.jpg

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    We've got one at our camp we call our Custodial Possum. He takes care of the scraps we throw out in the yard for him, overnight- and has the gut to prove it. Fattest possum I've ever seen. :dogkeke:

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=30UZbPAspUA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D30UZbPAspUA[/video]

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    I've searched, but can't find the section in the law that says you can't release trapped nuisance wildlife into the wild. Could you post a link.
    Thanks

I got it from the Wildlife and Fisheries website under the "Nuisance Animals" section several years ago when the opossums first started showing up in my yard (back when SPCA would gladly come trap them), but the site is down at the moment, so I can't look it up again for you. It's under the regulations about where one may release an animal.

I am strongly considering the "They're coming right at us!" approach, but NOPD is rumored to be deploying shot triangulation location devices soon, so I may have to rethink that.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    http://www.doa.louisiana.gov/osr/lac/76v01/76v01.pdf

The site came back up and then went down again, but I snagged the url above. It's Title 76 of the State Administrative Code. Search it for "nuisance" and you'll find the part about trapping them. It says you have to have written permission from any landowner to release on their property and that you have to carry that permission with you while you are transporting the animal.

I tried to find the part about not releasing on public lands or wildlife areas, but the site dropped on me again. It may be in that same part of the Code.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I got it from the Wildlife and Fisheries website under the "Nuisance Animals" section several years ago when the opossums first started showing up in my yard (back when SPCA would gladly come trap them), but the site is down at the moment, so I can't look it up again for you. It's under the regulations about where one may release an animal.

I am strongly considering the "They're coming right at us!" approach, but NOPD is rumored to be deploying shot triangulation location devices soon, so I may have to rethink that.

Pellet gun.

Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    I took the dogs out @ 1900. Big dog - Pearl half lab half???, not scared of anything.
    Little dog - Yorkie Duke 7 lbs, and yes, I bring him to the store with me hehe.

I let them out to do there business, Pearl made a B-Line for the back fence. And Duke follows, he has no fear if Pearl is near.
    Long story short, Pearl has "possum" cornered by the back fence. Stupid little dog has to see what's up. The damn possum snapped at my little pup and that made me mad.
    Possum - shot with Aguila Super Coliber out of my grandpas Win .22 lever.

And yes, IT WAS COMMING RIGHT AT ME!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom