Um...I have no words

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana
    Stoneman Douglas cop resigns; sheriff says he should have 'killed the killer'

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/b...g/fl-florida-shooting-sro-20180222-story.html

The police officer assigned to Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School resigned Thursday, under investigation for failing to enter the building as a gunman opened fire and killed 17 people.

Sheriff Scott Israel said Deputy Scot Peterson should have “went in. Addressed the killer. Killed the killer.” Video footage showed Peterson did none of that, Israel said.

The sheriff’s office also said Thursday that two deputies were put under investigation for how they handled potential warnings about Cruz, including one from November in which a caller said Nikolas Cruz “could be a school shooter in the making.”

Peterson, 54, came under scrutiny after 19-year-old Cruz entered a school building with an AR-15 rifle and killed 14 students and three educators on Valentine’s Day. Cruz later confessed, police said.
    Shooting At Stoneman Douglas High School | Complete coverage

The sheriff said video shows Peterson was outside the building for “upwards of four minutes” while students were gunned down inside.

“What I saw was a deputy arrive … take up a position and he never went in,” the sheriff said at a news conference. “There are no words. I mean these families lost their children. We lost coaches,” Israel said.

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    I just heard on the radio that the county has had a standing rule for years now not to arrest students because it brings their stats down. Good stats qualify them for more state and federal money so they created a culture of not investigating crime at the schools, even violent crime.

I'll try to qualify this with actual sources .

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I read the article this morning. Armed but did not engage the shooter. Stayed outside on his radio. And the first thing you think is, man did he fail? Coward? Could have engaged and saved lives?

But would a responding LEO enter alone and engage the shooter, or shooters (unknown at this point) without BU? I'd like to think so but I am not a LEO, nor trained in such a response.

Perhaps some of our LEOs here will respond, and educate us on this specific aspect. If any still frequent the joint.

Last edited:

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    Soo.. a call comes in, active shooter with an assault rifle. First deputy on scene shows up, assess the situation, calls it in, requests additional units.

Seems like SOP to me.

Now, a moral Delima? Screw SOP and go in? Kids in danger?
    I don't want to ever be in that position.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Soo.. a call comes in, active shooter with an assault rifle. First deputy on scene shows up, assess the situation, calls it in, requests additional units.

Seems like SOP to me.

Sounds like SOP. But what's the next step? Wait for additional units? If so, how many additional units? Or hold a perimeter and wait for SWAT? Going in may not be against SOP. He could have done everything you described and then taken steps to eliminate the threat. Clearing a structure like a school would be a PITA with two 4-man teams. To attempt to do it solo is insane. But he should have done something.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany

Seems like SOP to me.

SOP is to engage.

The resource officer failed to do so, and later resigned rather than face suspension. I can't confirm, but I've read reports that the SO was called out to his house later that day.

Dude might have tried to kill himself instead of living with that :dunno:

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana

Seems like SOP to me.

he was the school resource officer, not a unit responding to a radio call for an active shooter...

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/article201489174.html

“I am devastated,” [Broward Sheriff Scott] Israel said. “Sick to my stomach. He never went in. He should have went in. Addressed the killer. Killed the killer.”

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I'll probably get flamed for saying this but. I don't think any school security are also on SWAT. My guess would be they are the ones that couldn't make it as a road LEO or about to retire. They are not putting their lean mean fighting machines in schools.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I wasn't there . I have no idea what was going through his head . It's easy to say what he should have done NOW that we know all the facts . I won't judge him .

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    I wasn't there . I have no idea what was going through his head . It's easy to say what he should have done NOW that we know all the facts . I won't judge him .

His job was to follow the SOP.

He failed to follow the SOP.

He resigned, rather than face suspension without pay.

It's okay to judge him for not doing his job. If you don't want to judge his morals, that's understandable.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I won’t comment on SOP, ROE, but the coach in the school acted and paid with his life using his body to protect the kids. Not even sure if he was pro gun or not but he in my mind is a true hero. I’ve been told that * everyone wants to be a gunfighter till there is a gunfight*.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Where is the SOP posted ? I haven't seen it .

PDs don't typically release those from my understanding.

In this guys case, if the rules said to engage an active shooter, he probably should have. With that being said, these guys should be armed with rifles if there is ever a chance they have to fight against a rifle.

Top Bottom