Um...I have no words

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I have one son in Jr. High and another in high school. I don’t mind seeing the rifle, dog, vest, teeth, balls, or whatever it takes to confront evil if it come to destroy children. I wish we could close our eyes and pretend this don’t exist but it does and I want the same if not more protection for my children at school than I can provide for them when they are under my care. Not all parents will agree but that’s just my stance on the issue.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I have one son in Jr. High and another in high school. I don’t mind seeing the rifle, dog, vest, teeth, balls, or whatever it takes to confront evil if it come to destroy children. I wish we could close our eyes and pretend this don’t exist but it does and I want the same if not more protection for my children at school than I can provide for them when they are under my care. Not all parents will agree but that’s just my stance on the issue.

I agree!

gsneff

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Gonzales
    I'll probably get flamed for saying this but. I don't think any school security are also on SWAT. My guess would be they are the ones that couldn't make it as a road LEO or about to retire. They are not putting their lean mean fighting machines in schools.

I can't speak for all agencies but the one I work with takes volunteers and the SRO before this one was SWAT. The current one is a great officer who simply wanted a position that didn't rotate days and nights making family life easier

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    I can't speak for all agencies but the one I work with takes volunteers and the SRO before this one was SWAT. The current one is a great officer who simply wanted a position that didn't rotate days and nights making family life easier

Most, not all, SRO's are not trained or capable of dealing with an active shooter.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    his job was to protect the kids. if not why else was he there?
    i know for a fact that any parent that was ccw'ing would have been in there without hesitating. even if just to buy time.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Most, not all, SRO's are not trained or capable of dealing with an active shooter.

Honestly, are most cops at /most/ departments qualified to handle a true active shooter situation in a crowded environment? I mean, excluding very specialized teams who train for this all the time, I just can't see typical cops being ready to handle something like this...expecially individually.

his job was to protect the kids. if not why else was he there?
    i know for a fact that any parent that was ccw'ing would have been in there without hesitating. even if just to buy time.

Devils advocate here: But would that make it better? What if they missed a bunch and shot more innocent kids?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Honestly, are most cops at /most/ departments qualified to handle a true active shooter situation in a crowded environment? I mean, excluding very specialized teams who train for this all the time, I just can't see typical cops being ready to handle something like this...expecially individually.

This is one of the issues we touched on during training. If there are a lot of moving people, it's difficult/impossible to get a good shot off at the subject without hitting innocent people. And if you draw the fire from the shooter, he likely won't have the same issues regarding shooting into a crowd. You've then put yourself and others in harm's way with little to no chance of engaging and stopping the threat. But that being said, standing around calling in the carnage isn't acceptable. He should have, at minimum, moved toward the door with plans to move inside if the situation were right to do so. Based on his telling of a couple of stories, he may have thought his was a cozy job.

*So I ran into my trailer, I grabbed my firearm and my ID and my shorts and my sneakers and I ran over to the cafeteria. As I got to the cafeteria, sure enough, there were four males inside the cafeteria*

*So I ran, put some shorts on, ran out with my firearm, while I’m running to the school, I’m contacting Coconut Creek police, we set up a perimeter*

It appears he was working but had to go get his shorts and his gun?

https://nypost.com/2018/02/23/disgraced-deputy-touted-school-cops-at-board-meeting/

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Assignments like those were sometimes looked at as cozy spots people can move to get a few extra years under their belt before they retire, a spot that doesn't require much work.

The SROs I know go though a fair amount of active shooter training “more than the patrol officers I know”.

leadslinger972

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2017
    St Tammany
    The SROs I know go though a fair amount of active shooter training *more than the patrol officers I know*.

Legit SRO's will receive the required training, but sometimes the wrong guy ends up as the SRO so he can have it easy before retirement, or as I've seen in the past, you get the guy they didn't want to fire, but he sucks at being a street cop, so they move him around and involuntarily becomes the SRO.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Legit SRO's will receive the required training, but sometimes the wrong guy ends up as the SRO so he can have it easy before retirement, or as I've seen in the past, you get the guy they didn't want to fire, but he sucks at being a street cop, so they move him around and involuntarily becomes the SRO.

I know some that fit all of the above but The Required Training.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Assignments like those were sometimes looked at as cozy spots people can move to get a few extra years under their belt before they retire, a spot that doesn't require much work.

I've said that before or the ones that didn't make a good road LEO's they so stick them in a school.

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette

Devils advocate here: But would that make it better? What if they missed a bunch and shot more innocent kids?

This, atleast in my mind, assumes there was a crowd of kids standing around watching. Did any video come out showing how much time the shooter spent walking the halls looking for someone to shoot? It's most probable that a responding officer would have been able to get a safe angle for a shot. I know it varies from school to school but many around here have cmu walls. Its not the best for stopping missed shots but its pretty good.

Top Bottom