Neighborhood Watch St. Helena style

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    RS 14:21

The "aggressor" cannot claim self defense. I think that's an important distinction.

I was working from memory, thanks. In the situation stated, perp breaking in to vehicle, "fears for his life" when owner appears with a gun, I would say the perp is the aggressor.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    This silly s**t isn't going to last!! There is so much that can wrong with this it's not even funny.

I commend the cavalier spirit in this idea, but do any of you really think this kind of neighborhood patrol is something the DOJ will bless. The ACLU is probably already preparing to file suit against somebody.

Guys in wife beater t-shirts carrying two guns at time, walking through other peoples yards, checking on what? To see if something presents an opportunity to shoot at in the name of a neighborhood watch?

Now since St Helena is basically a lawless Parish anyway; I believe the mayor, the sheriff, some council people, the jailer, etc. have all been indicted in the last 5 years over there for some impropriety in offfice, it might float for now.

But don't hold your breath too long.

Last edited:

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I was working from memory, thanks. In the situation stated, perp breaking in to vehicle, "fears for his life" when owner appears with a gun, I would say the perp is the aggressor.

Nope the "perp" isn't threatening any pokily harm on the guy with the gun. That example I was saying is like if the "neighborhood patrol" comes upon it. Thus making the car not even the aggressor's property. At that point it would easily make it justifiable to shoot the dude pointing the gun IMO.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    Madisonville
    Nope the "perp" isn't threatening any pokily harm on the guy with the gun. That example I was saying is like if the "neighborhood patrol" comes upon it. Thus making the car not even the aggressor's property. At that point it would easily make it justifiable to shoot the dude pointing the gun IMO.

pretty sure there have been court cases where a perp was breaking into a house got shot by the homeowner and sued and won. so why would this be any different. he feared for his life and shot.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    This silly s**t isn't going to last!! There is so much that can wrong with this it's not even funny.

I commend the cavalier spirit in this idea, but do any of you really think this kind of neighborhood patrol is something the DOJ will bless. The ACLU is probably already preparing to file suit against somebody.

Guys in wife beater t-shirts carrying two guns at time, walking through other peoples yards, checking on what? To see if something presents an opportunity to shoot at in the name of a neighborhood watch?

Now since St Helena is basically a lawless Parish anyway; I believe the mayor, the sheriff, some council people, the jailer, etc. have all been indicted in the last 5 years over there for some impropriety in offfice, it might float for now.

But don't hold your breath too long.

Somebody has to do it, I think something like the last two or three Sheriffs have went to jail. :D

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    you carry two guns, just in case the bg turns out to be unarmed. It's a drop gun, just ask the NOPD about its effectiveness :)

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    pretty sure there have been court cases where a perp was breaking into a house got shot by the homeowner and sued and won. so why would this be any different. he feared for his life and shot.

In the now and now though, persons acting in self defense ( justifiable homicide ) are not liable for injuries visited on the perpetrator. Your scenario would probably be involved with the " Castle Doctrine " I forget the stat #

O BTW...I am another that believes the law SHOULD allow DF to prevent property theft or destruction.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Now the sheriff in St. Helena says that anyone caught riding in a vehicle with an assault rifle will be arrested. OK, while I'm not on board with the citizen patrols, exactly what law would I be breaking if I were to be driving down the road with an AR in my truck?

Last edited:

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    Now the sheriff in St. Tammany says that anyone caught riding in a vehicle with an assault rifle will be arrested. OK, while I'm not on board with the citizen patrols, exactly what law would I be breaking if I were to be driving down the road with an AR in my truck?
    Where did you see that? Advocate? TV news?
    Did you mean the St Helena sheriff in the Advocate article at http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/Assault-weapon-patrols-nixed.html?showAll=y&c=y ??
    MEM wrote in the comments- "and not a peep out of the Louisiana open carry awareness league, LOL, as expected."
    What does he expect LOCAL to say?

Last edited:

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Your link was broken.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/latest/Assault-weapon-patrols-nixed.html
    Assault weapon patrols nixed

Any residents of St. Helena Parish caught riding around the parish with assault weapons will be arrested, Sheriff Nat Williams warned Tuesday.

“As far as them riding around with an assault rifle, it will not be tolerated,” he said. “Somebody with an assault weapon is no different from a criminal and will be treated the same way.”

“If somebody is out riding around with an assault weapon, that’s not protecting the neighborhood, that’s terrorizing the neighborhood,” Williams said.

“Anybody want to ride around their own community, that’s fine, call us,” Williams said. “But any assault weapons, they’re going to jail.”

:)

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    blazing07.gif

"Hey.....The Sheriff doesn't know Louisiana Gun Laws!!!!!"

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    I'd love to jump in there and post a comment but I've never been able to get registered at 2theadvocate. I don't know what the hell is wrong with their website but no matter what I do it won't register me with any email address or user name I try.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    That is the article I was referring to. What really bothered me the most was the sheriff's quote.

"Somebody with an assault weapon is no different from a criminal and will be treated the same way.”

What the hell is that about?

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    That is the article I was referring to. What really bothered me the most was the sheriff's quote.

"Somebody with an assault weapon is no different from a criminal and will be treated the same way.”

What the hell is that about?

"It's about"............... a 90 IQ would be my guess.

Top Bottom