4 year old killed by pit bull in Houma

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    Best dog I ever owned, the kids do whatever to him. And my wife had the dog two years before we married and had children. I did have to house break him fully, he thought it was ok to chew my flip flops up and **** on a kitchen rug in the middle of the night sometimes. But he doesn't have any problems anymore. His name is Gunny and the kids let him sleep in the bed with them, because I stopped him from getting in with me and the wife.

Attachments

• Gunny.jpg
      Gunny.jpg
      75.1 KB · Views: 73

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    I think it is what they are capable of that’s the issue. Folks like to throw out numbers about other breeds and how many people were bitten by this breed of dog or that type dog but the problem still is what these dogs were breaded for, blood sports in the United Kingdom in the 1800 to fight and kill. They have a high tolerance to pain and the pounds for pressure that they can exert with their jaws. Just ask Michael Vick how nice these dogs can be. I’m sure he has some stories to tell.

Several breeds were bred to fight an kill. Even dachshunds. Pitbull have been drug threw the mud in the media and others which is why that's all we see. The statistics are skewed because half the people I come in contact with can't even properly identify a pitbull. I've seen boxers call pitbulls among other breeds.
    They were also an image of the US in world war 1 and 2, and also used as messenger dogs on the battlefield.

Temperament
    The UKC gives this description of the characteristics of the American Pit Bull Terrier:

"The essential characteristics of the American Pit Bull Terrier are strength, confidence, and zest for life. This breed is eager to please and brimming over with enthusiasm. APBTs make excellent family companions and have always been noted for their love of children. Because most APBTs exhibit some level of dog aggression and because of its powerful physique, the APBT requires an owner who will carefully socialize and obedience train the dog. The breed’s natural agility makes it one of the most capable canine climbers so good fencing is a must for this breed. The APBT is not the best choice for a guard dog since they are extremely friendly, even with strangers. Aggressive behavior toward humans is uncharacteristic of the breed and highly undesirable. This breed does very well in performance events because of its high level of intelligence and its willingness to work."

In September 2000 a meta-analysis conducted by the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) was published which examined dog bite related fatalities (human death caused by dog bite injuries) over a 20 year period from 1979-1998. The study examined 238 fatalities in which the breed of dog was known. The study was surmised to covered approximately 72% of known dog bite related fatalities during that period.[8] However in the later half of the study Rottweilers accounted for more dog bite related fatalities than pit bulls. Further, in tests of over 500 dogs, the American Pit Bull Terrier ranked as the second safest breed in the test.[9]

"Despite these limitations and concerns, the data indicates that Rottweilers and pit bull-type dogs accounted for 67% of human DBRF (dog bite related fatality) in the United States between 1997 and 1998. It is extremely unlikely that they accounted for anywhere near 60% of dogs in the United States during that same period and, thus, there appears to be a breed-specific problem with fatalities... However, breeds responsible for human DBRF have varied over time."

Last edited:

Mac204

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    CenLa
    The English Bulldog was once outlawed in Britian because they had become too violent and aggressive. A group of Bulldog lovers took them in and, after more than 100 years of responsible breeding, have transformed the breed into the gentle, lovable galoof we have today. The fact is that certain elements of society have been breeding in the most aggressive and violent traits for fighting. Sorry, but in this case the dog is to blame as a result of human. It doesn't even really matter what kind of household it is brought up in. If its got those traits or from that super aggressive fighting line its dangerous. The British ban on English Bulldogs ended up being the best thing for the breed. Maybe local ordinances and legislation would benefit this breed similarly. The fact is, though, that a pit bull adopted with love from a shelter could be a ticking time bomb. A gun bought and treated the same way isn't going to jump out of the closet or bolt from the safe and eat your 2 year old. Any dog can kill, but when you put the stats out there, pit bulls are responsible for more deaths than any other dogs, and at that, most of the deaths cause by those other dogs were in defense of family or in the line of duty. Not so in regards to the pit bull.

And BTW, you wouldnt believe how many people think my English Bulldog is a pit bull, our Great Dane was a horse, and our Alaskan Malamute was a bear!

Last edited:

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    I love my pit bulls and it will be a long time until I don't have one.

Buster and Roxy
    935800_10101197341121048_309318301_n.jpg

Roxy doing what she does best when not eating kids. And then there's Maggie keeping her under control
    426546_10101128602733328_1155892202_n.jpg

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    pitbulls do what pitbulls do?

they do the same as every other breed: live as dogs whom are susceptible to environmental influences on their behavior. I've met chihuahua's that made my pitbull look like a lamb. If your dog attacks someone, its your fault.

this entire argument stems back to how no one wants to accept blame for their wrongdoing. "He had a mental issue" - no, hes a F murderer. Why do we feel the need to remove blame from people that do stupid things? If your dog kills your child, then somewhere along the line YOU either did something directly that contributed to that behavior or neglected to identify the signs that this was imminent.

I'll say it again: make dog attacks a mandatory criminal charge against the owner.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I have a large lab that has been with my family since it was a pup. My kids have always played with it and it is well trained and well mannered. My neighbor has a dog in a pen across the street that was in heat and my dog could sense it from our backyard. My well mannered lab was a different animal trying to get to that female. He never tried to bite anyone but howled all night for several days and continuously dug out of our fenced in yard. I have never seen him act like that but it was a reminder that he is still an animal.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Kids sometimes get bitten by dogs from doing things like stepping on a sleeping dog's foot. This can happen even with a gentle dog. I'm just in the "the bigger the dog, the bigger the wound" corner, I guess- and it's my believe that large dogs- even nice ones- are a potential threat to the well being of a kid. Pitbulls & similar breeds certainly meet that criteria.

But that's just my opinion.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I have a large lab that has been with my family since it was a pup. My kids have always played with it and it is well trained and well mannered. My neighbor has a dog in a pen across the street that was in heat and my dog could sense it from our backyard. My well mannered lab was a different animal trying to get to that female. He never tried to bite anyone but howled all night for several days and continuously dug out of our fenced in yard. I have never seen him act like that but it was a reminder that he is still an animal.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

In this case, there was another PB removed from the apartment, and if I'm not mistaken- it was a female....Anyone know more about that? The female could have been in heat. We were talking about that around the office, yesterday....

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Kids sometimes get bitten by dogs from doing things like stepping on a sleeping dog's foot. This can happen even with a gentle dog. I'm just in the "the bigger the dog, the bigger the wound" corner, I guess- and it's my believe that large dogs- even nice ones- are a potential threat to the well being of a kid. Pitbulls & similar breeds certainly meet that criteria.

But that's just my opinion.

you are exactly correct- all I add is that is the owners responsibility to consider. If you can't alleviate the potential for harm, then you neglectfully purchased an animal that you had no business raising.

I don't raise venomous snakes. I don't know the first dang thing about them and wouldn't allow one in my house. Many people raise them, and I'm not against them having one. Just because I don't know how to do it safely doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to... now if I ignore this and buy one anyway, I should be charged with manslaughter when it bites and kills my child. Feel free to substitute "snake" with animal or breed of your choosing; the argument is intact.

Last edited:

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    In this case, there was another PB removed from the apartment, and if I'm not mistaken- it was a female....Anyone know more about that? The female could have been in heat. We were talking about that around the office, yesterday....

http://www.wwltv.com/news/After-fat...tant-to-look-for-warning-signs-252573011.html

Experts say Niko may have been especially territorial because he was not neutered, and a six-month-old female dog in the home was starting to go into heat.

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    Houma Police Chief said they are investigating the possibility of the dog being used for fighting and was being tested not only for rabies, but steroids as well.

don_mac

Mr. Blonde
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2013
    Gonzales,La
    live as dogs whom are susceptible to environmental influences on their behavior.

"He had a mental issue"

So this means only violent people own pit bulls that attack other dogs or people or people who act violently have violent acting dogs ??? now I'm clear on this.

Last edited:

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    live as dogs whom are susceptible to environmental influences on their behavior.

"He had a mental issue"

So this means only violent people own pit bulls that attack other dogs or people or people who act violently have violent acting dog???

It means people who can't train and socialize a dog/pet properly and appropriately shouldn't own then from the get go. Same can be said for adults and their children. (Not comparing dogs to people just an analogy)

There are bad apples in every bunch. The lab that bit my face was well taken care of that doesn't me my grandfather socialized with with kids properly. Since he got it as a 2 year old from his friend that couldn't keep him I assume this was the problem.

It's an overall breed problem. Some dogs have a higher survival drive than others. My German shorthair doesn't like other dogs around his food even though all his life I had him eat out the bowl with his litter/kennel mates. (Some trainers i spoke to after said this teaches them that very thing, competition for food its a two sided sword).But I can stick my head face down there and no problem. Amber can so the same. He doesn't blindly attack anything near his food. I've seen Black and Tans do the same thing, most hounds do that.
    My lab doesn't and I never did anything with her about it at all.

The point is it is a broad issue with a lot of other breeds. They just don't get the hype or attention the American Pit Bull Terrier gets.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    you are exactly correct- all I add is that is the owners responsibility to consider. If you can't alleviate the potential for harm, then you neglectfully purchased an animal that you had no business raising.

I don't raise venomous snakes. I don't know the first dang thing about them and wouldn't allow one in my house. Many people raise them, and I'm not against them having one. Just because I don't know how to do it safely doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to... now if I ignore this and buy one anyway, I should be charged with manslaughter when it bites and kills my child. Feel free to substitute "snake" with animal or breed of your choosing; the argument is intact.

Agreed.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom