66% of Louisianians still supporting AWB, have YOU weighed in?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdessell

Womb-Raider
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    NOLA
    This is her reply to me:

January 7, 2013

Dear Mr. XXXX

My prayers and greatest sympathy go out to the families and community of Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut, and to all families that have been affected by gun violence. On December 14, 2012, twenty-seven innocent lives were taken from us in a heartbreaking tragedy. As the nation grieves over this senseless act of violence, it is more important than ever that we come together to address the issues affecting American communities.
    The Second Amendment to the Constitution guarantees the rights of all Americans to own and possess guns. While preserving the rights of honest gun collectors, sportsmen and owners who possess firearms for traditionally lawful purposes, we must also continue to ensure that we protect innocent unarmed citizens. I am sure you can agree - like any right guaranteed to a free people, the right to bear arms must be exercised responsibly.
    Unfortunately, in the past year, we have seen instances where this right has been abused in tragic fashion. The theater shooting in Aurora, CO, the Sikh temple shooting in Oak Creek, WI, and the school shooting in Newtown, CT, were terrible and unnecessary tragedies. Occurrences such as these remind me of the important role that government plays in upholding statutes that aim to limit such tragedies.
    We must do more to target the causes of mental illness and determine the most effective ways to treat it. I support and will continue to strongly advocate for expanded and improved mental health coverage so that the mentally ill can obtain adequate treatment to not only overcome their struggles, but to lead more productive and fulfilling lives.
    I also support strict adherence of federally licensed firearms dealers to the requirements laid out in the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). The NICS determines the eligibility of an individual to purchase a firearm and explicitly prohibits those who have been legally determined to be mentally ill or committed to a mental institution from purchasing any weapons.
    Currently, there is no gun control legislation scheduled for a vote. However, I believe that when evaluating future proposals, we must find a balanced way to address the safety of American citizens while ensuring Second Amendment rights granted under the Constitution. Please be assured that I value your input and will keep it in mind as we continue to address this issue in the 113th Congress.
    I appreciate hearing from you on this matter, and I trust that you will continue to contact me on matters of mutual concern. Please feel free to visit my website at http://landrieu.senate.gov for more information on my legislative priorities.
    With warm regards, I amSincerely,

Mary Landrieu
    United States Senator
    P.S. For a recap of my week in Louisiana and Washington, D.C., be sure to sign up for my weekly eNewsletter by visiting http://go.usa.gov/2sb. And for my latest updates, like my Facebook page and follow me on Twitter.

I got the same letter.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    This is baited. How do you answer. Yes I want to keep guns out of criminals hands and other prohibited purchasers, and depending how you define gun traffiing, i would like to see it as a federal crime, but i don't want to ban assault weapons and high capacity magazines and I don't see a wave of crime with military-style weapons and high-capacity magazines on our streets. I also don't want a backround check required for ALL purchaces.

The question should simply be, are current gun laws enough or do we need more.

Also, will my e-mail be flooded with Bull for answering this? And how can a congress man make his decision based on the equivelant of a Facebook poll?

I don't think it's baited at all- as long as the person responding understands that this has nothing to do with "common sense". If it did, it would acknowledge the FACT that implementing more gun laws on top of the ones we already have does NOTHING to prevent this problem- due to the fact that criminals and the mentally ill will ignore any symbolic law standing in the way.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    This is baited. How do you answer. Yes I want to keep guns out of criminals hands and other prohibited purchasers, and depending how you define gun traffiing, i would like to see it as a federal crime, but i don't want to ban assault weapons and high capacity magazines and I don't see a wave of crime with military-style weapons and high-capacity magazines on our streets. I also don't want a backround check required for ALL purchaces.

The question should simply be, are current gun laws enough or do we need more.

Also, will my e-mail be flooded with Bull for answering this? And how can a congress man make his decision based on the equivelant of a Facebook poll?

It's completely intentional. "No child left behind," "war on terror," "Patriot act."

Do you want to leave children behind?

You support terror?

You're not a patriot?

There needs to be a law that prohibits this type of "title'ing" on bills. Uneducated people simply vote for the title and not the substance of the bill (I was guilty of it when I was 18).

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    It's completely intentional. "No child left behind," "war on terror," "Patriot act."

Do you want to leave children behind?

You support terror?

You're not a patriot?

There needs to be a law that prohibits this type of "title'ing" on bills. Uneducated people simply vote for the title and not the substance of the bill (I was guilty of it when I was 18).

Yep....This is kind of like the anti-gun groups calling themselves "gun safety groups"...That is such BS.

And yet, they get away with it.....It makes me sad to know just how entrenched the moron element is in today's society...:(

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Isn't the site hosting the poll a little left leaning? It would stand to reason the its getting more exposure with that crowd, which could explain the current results. I have a hard time believing 3/4 of the people in LA are actually in favor of a ban.

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    I think some are naive to believe its only about "modern sporting rifles" which excludes handguns, shotguns, and bolt actions. That coupled with the fact that they will not do anything until its gone will not help this fight. A shame but many of my customers are that way. Good people. Lazy to fight for their rights.

ChrisK

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Natchez, MS
    I think some are naive to believe its only about "modern sporting rifles" which excludes handguns, shotguns, and bolt actions. That coupled with the fact that they will not do anything until its gone will not help this fight. A shame but many of my customers are that way. Good people. Lazy to fight for their rights.

This is why we even have a chance of our rights taken away. If all the gun owners would step up and get their heads out of their asses, this fight wouldn't seem so one-sided.

If this stuff passes, they will all be in shock, just like the Dems are with the tax hikes.

Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY
    I sent Senators Landrieu and Vitter letters voicing my concerns. If it is ok, I will post Sen Landrieu's reply. It dang sure was not a form letter. David Vitter did not reply in any form. Mary Landrieu's reply is lengthy and is the longest letter I ever got that said nothing while addressing the issue.

WOuld someone give me the ok to post it here?

Form letter and we all got it. If you read between the lines it sounds like she will cave to her party.

Lowbrow

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 22, 2012
    New Orleans
    When looking at the title of any government policy, law, or legislation the first and most logical assumption you should make is that the title is always the opposite of its actual purpose.

That may sound like a joke but it's really not. A lot of times, these things are named very deceptively and the name tells you nothing about what it really will do.

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    This is why we even have a chance of our rights taken away. If all the gun owners would step up and get their heads out of their asses, this fight wouldn't seem so one-sided.

If this stuff passes, they will all be in shock, just like the Dems are with the tax hikes.

Let's hope we are both wrong. It would be a nice surprise to see gun owners and freedom lovers band together on this.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    We're making a difference. Stop being the silent majority. Let your Rep know.

Your persitance has won me over. Congratulate yourself. One more oppose for Louisiana. But as the question was posed by Mayor poopberg and all, I really disagree with the slant that the question is proposed. Your final vote says you are voting to oppose common sense gun laws. Suggesting that if you oppose new gun laws, you don't have any common sense. Baiclly, the question is written to coarse a supportave answer. I support what are in my opinion common sense gun laws, it's just that my definition of common sense dosen't jive with the current chicken without a head panic that is pushing the new laws.

Basicly, this poll, and everything I have head so far, creates the impression that if you don't agree, you have no common sense, you are ignorant, and your opinion is meaningless. There are inteligent people out there who do oppose stricter gun laws. Many.

I hope that those intelligent voices are given the same respect as the opposition.

Last edited:

kenny

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Lacombe, LA
    Here's the break down by district:

1-Scalise: 73% Support

2-Richmond: 91% Support

3-Boustany: 62% Support

4-Fleming: 69% Support

5-Alexander: 54% Support

6-Cassidy: 57% Support

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I wish they would remove the media buzzwords "common sense" and "gun violence". Why can't they make a poll that just states the facts of the issue without being dramatic? The poll is designed to be agreed with simply by the way it's worded. By opposing it you are admitting you don't have common sense. That's why it's so heavily skewed in one direction. Not voting on this crappy poll.

kenny

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Lacombe, LA
    I wish they would remove the media buzzwords "common sense" and "gun violence". Why can't they make a poll that just states the facts of the issue without being dramatic? The poll is designed to be agreed with simply by the way it's worded. By opposing it you are admitting you don't have common sense. That's why it's so heavily skewed in one direction. Not voting on this crappy poll.

This is not a "crappy poll", it's a record of people who have contacted their State Representative. The majority of the support has come from the Demand A Plan website. You know the video with all of the no name actors asking you to stop little kids from being killed by illegal guns?

This is proposed legislation by the "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" which if named for what they are would be "Authoritarian Gun Grabbers". They named it that way for a reason. Just like the the last one was named "Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act ". It doesn't matter if the name of the Bill is "Free Ice Cream for Blind Orphans", it's what's contained inside.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts

I don't care if people choose to participate in this, as long as they understand that they need to go to their representatives websites and contact them through that as well. This is the surest way you will be heard.

Top Bottom