Anyone play Magic The Gathering (card game)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    I've got about 20k cards that belonged to by brother before he passed. Just something I've held on to, but never played.

I am going to apologize in advance for the insensitive statement I am about to make, as I am sorry for your loss and sure they are worth more than mere money to you, but...

Magic cards, especially ones from the 90's, can be worth anywhere from $.50 to $50 a piece, on average. Some, like the basic lands sell for less, and a few sell for waay more, but you are potentially sitting on a new car's worth of money there.....

blitztech

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Houston
    Have a friend that plays and he makes more off magic card trading/selling and tournaments than he does at work. I've tried it and it was okay, just the investment to requires that you like it more than I do lol

Spent Brass

Keeping South BR Classy
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    baton rouge
    I lied, just pulled out the box that has all that stuff in it. Its not just a loose pack. Its a pre-made deck with a 2003 date on it in basically untouched condition. "advanced level core set - Heavy Hitters Deck" But if your in BR its yours.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Didn't know there were so many dorks here.

:Pulls green deck out:
    On 2nd turn.

Tap one mana, add Giant Growth on my Scryb Spites, attack.
    That **** was my bread n butter.

Hated playing against blues.

For anyone in the BR area, go to Little Wars for competition.
    http://www.littlewars.com/
    People at work have been playing this and I wanted to get into it. Anyone play that can help me find some good cheap decks?
    Ask to play with their decks.
    You'll find out what color and cards work with your play style as you play.

:)

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I am going to apologize in advance for the insensitive statement I am about to make, as I am sorry for your loss and sure they are worth more than mere money to you, but...

Magic cards, especially ones from the 90's, can be worth anywhere from $.50 to $50 a piece, on average. Some, like the basic lands sell for less, and a few sell for waay more, but you are potentially sitting on a new car's worth of money there.....
    I'm not offended at all. Actually, when I saw this thread I did some googling and saw how much some of them are worth. I know I've seen numbers 18, 15, 14, some of the mix cards and the lotus from this website.

http://mike1229.quazen.com/recreation/collecting/the-20-most-expensive-magic-cards-ever-printed/3/

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I'm not offended at all. Actually, when I saw this thread I did some googling and saw how much some of them are worth. I know I've seen numbers 18, 15, 14, some of the mix cards and the lotus from this website.

http://mike1229.quazen.com/recreation/collecting/the-20-most-expensive-magic-cards-ever-printed/3/

If that is true, and you have 20k cards... that's an amazingly valuable collection (depending on condition). Be careful if you decide to sell. Dealers at card shops are pretty unscrupulous (these are the kids that were picked on for playing magic growing up and then embraced it... trust me, there are issues there). They won't mind ripping you off.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I played pretty extensively a couple years ago. Embarrassingly, I was pretty damn good and spent way too much time at it. I get really competitive at whatever I do so it was never enough to just enjoy it.

If you're just wanting something casual, you can find decks at wal-mart that are prebuilt and ready to go. They're nothing fancy, but relatively cheap and fine to learn with.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check them out.

:rofl: I'm definitely a nerd :) However I get paid well to be one!

I did back in high school. :o

Me too but never actually owned any decks. Hung out with this kid Steven who had tons of decks and taught me to play in 9th grade. Never had a reason to play it since but there's no good MMO out so everyone at work is bored with Diablo and looking for something else to do during lunch.

...not since the 90's. A douchebag "friend" stole my entire collection of over 2000 cards all from generations 1-3 and I never bought any more.

But, they can be bought at Walmart, near the book section and the checkout lines. You'll probably get a better deal (and better karma) if you buy them from your local comic book shop. I still think the older cards are a lot nicer than the new designs.

Be warned, if you start playing, and you like it, you will end up with boxes and boxes full of cards and you will find yourself spending a LOT of time trying to decide on what to put into the "perfect deck".

Ouch that sucks. I'm not really looking for "the perfect deck" just something that I can play at lunch and actually enjoy.

I've got about 20k cards that belonged to by brother before he passed. Just something I've held on to, but never played.

Wow that's really sweet. It's actually a fun game (if you have an iPad you can download it for free) just really nerdy.

Didn't know there were so many dorks here.

:Pulls green deck out:
    On 2nd turn.

Tap one mana, add Giant Growth on my Scryb Spites, attack.
    That **** was my bread n butter.

Hated playing against blues.

For anyone in the BR area, go to Little Wars for competition.
    http://www.littlewars.com/

Ask to play with their decks.
    You'll find out what color and cards work with your play style as you play.

:)

:rofl:

Their decks are insane. I've been watching them play the past week and it makes my had spin with the amount of craziness that goes on. I remember magic being "oh here are some creatures, they attack". These guys kill their guys, revive them, kill them again, spawn 20+ 1/1 tokens, kill all of them, and then fling like 100 damage at you and if you don't have a counterspell ready you're eff'd. No way I can figure out how to do all that stuff :rofl:

I lied, just pulled out the box that has all that stuff in it. Its not just a loose pack. Its a pre-made deck with a 2003 date on it in basically untouched condition. "advanced level core set - Heavy Hitters Deck" But if your in BR its yours.

Thanks for the offer but not in baton rouge :(

No, because I like touching vaginas.

If a man doesn't like touching vaginas, then there's more wrong with him than what kind of card games he enjoys playing :hsugh:

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    If that is true, and you have 20k cards... that's an amazingly valuable collection (depending on condition). Be careful if you decide to sell. Dealers at card shops are pretty unscrupulous (these are the kids that were picked on for playing magic growing up and then embraced it... trust me, there are issues there). They won't mind ripping you off.
    I'll have to try to dig them out this weekend. I know he has a bunch of dragons that he said were a big deal, the cards were multicolored around the edges. Also I remember a few which were a grayish brown color that had a yellow doll being tortured.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I'll have to try to dig them out this weekend. I know he has a bunch of dragons that he said were a big deal, the cards were multicolored around the edges. Also I remember a few which were a grayish brown color that had a yellow doll being tortured.

The doll might be worth a good bit if I remember correctly. The multicolored dragons aren't too old, but still collectible.

bravo3

dont tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    No, because I like touching vaginas.

:rolleyes:

FWIW, Bosco there is a place in Slidell that is an old house that a guy bought and filled with card tables and wall to wall floor to ceiling figures. Even in the bathrooms and closets lol, but it is at 727 Robert Blvd. It's called Magic Cards and Comics

FishingBack

Slave to Society
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    They actually make a VIDEO game of the magic cards now. You can get it on PS3, XBox, IPad, Steam.

So you can play a virtual version of made up playing cards. (!)

Top Bottom