APPLE can suck it.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    I don't understand why what is actually contained in the phone is so important?!? As someone alluded earlier, they can harvest ALL phone calls, and texts; easily! What else can there be? What this scumbags' high score on Angry Birds was?

If he uses his note pad, then unless he actually physically shows it to someone standing next to him, it's of no use!?! EVERY TEXT! EVERY CALL! EVERY MESSAGE sent over the internet is attainable!

^This

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    Isn't this more about the encryption on emails and text from Iphone to Iphone. They can capture the messages but can't read them unless they get the encryption key and even a supercomputer would take years to figure out the key. They want Apple to develop software to be able to break the encryption key. It may be like the rolling encryption pin used on remote garage door openers and car remotes but much more secure.
    It is a supercharged version of the German Enigma encryption machine that was used in WW II. The British broke it because they got their hands on a machine and it was mechanical so it was easy to break the key because the number of key combinations was mechanically
    limited.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Isn't this more about the encryption on emails and text from Iphone to Iphone. They can capture the messages but can't read them unless they get the encryption key and even a supercomputer would take years to figure out the key. They want Apple to develop software to be able to break the encryption key. It may be like the rolling encryption pin used on remote garage door openers and car remotes but much more secure.
    It is a supercharged version of the German Enigma encryption machine that was used in WW II. The British broke it because they got their hands on a machine and it was mechanical so it was easy to break the key because the number of key combinations was mechanically
    limited.

Well, if that is the case (encrypted text to text messaging between Apple products), that's pretty sweet for privacy advocates! If Apple has implemented that, it's one more reason for me to like their crap.

My feelings are mixed on this whole thing. If I was 100% certain this government would NEVER use info against Americans for their own selfish pursuits, I would be advocating for Apple to open it up. However, for me; there is always going to be one event that will always have me skeptical and erring on the side of privacy when it comes to this kind of stuff: The IRS targeting conservatives! And getting away with it!

They clearly did it! No convictions! No lost jobs! Some actually got raises! In my heart, I know the dumbass had something to do with it too! Because he is a petty thug ideologue that resorts to these abuses whenever he doesn't get his way. He is a moron; can you image a semi-shrewd, ruthless president like Clinton with all of her minions of deceit?

Sorry, I stand with Apple!

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I once took a simple encryption class. For 2 or or more people to read each others encrypted messages each person must know the key phase to encrypt and de-crypt the message. The key can be something like the second sentence in the third paragraph on page 98 in The Grapes of Wrath. The longer the key the harder to break the code. The key is use to change the letters in a word to other letters but not all, say e's are changed to the same letter in each word. E could be represented by h in one word and b in another word and so on. The key is changed on a random basis to make cracking the code harder.

I think the new Ios uses a 6 digit pin to unlock, each time the wrong pin is entered a time delay is
    set before the next try is allowed and the time delay increases with each wrong pin entry to a set maximum number of tries and then the phone wipes itself clean. This is why using a supercomputer to run millions of pin combinations won't work.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I once took a simple encryption class. For 2 or or more people to read each others encrypted messages each person must know the key phase to encrypt and de-crypt the message. The key can be something like the second sentence in the third paragraph on page 98 in The Grapes of Wrath. The longer the key the harder to break the code. The key is use to change the letters in a word to other letters but not all, say e's are changed to the same letter in each word. E could be represented by h in one word and b in another word and so on. The key is changed on a random basis to make cracking the code harder.

I think the new Ios uses a 6 digit pin to unlock, each time the wrong pin is entered a time delay is
    set before the next try is allowed and the time delay increases with each wrong pin entry to a set maximum number of tries and then the phone wipes itself clean. This is why using a supercomputer to run millions of pin combinations won't work.
    It's a little more complicated than that with more modern encryption techniques. The government wants apple to make a new os that takes away the timelimit and allows a supercomputer to brute force (try many, many combinations per second) it's way into the device.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I just don't see the big deal in letting the FBI have access to our information. What harm can it do?

ehmk9c0brhkp19t6dp.jpg

Last edited:

Slipknot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2016
    Tom Bean, Texas/Hammond, LA
    It's cute that some think there is still privacy in this world
    ***Yawn

This guy gets it

This thread is full of win!!

If you gentlemen think Uncle Sam isn't reading your posts, listening to your phone calls or data logging your emails, you're living in a fantasy world.

Certain key words will alert databases in agencies....

And besides, if you're not a terrorist or pedophile, who gives a **** if you're talking about fingering Mary Jane rotten crotch....no one else does.....I certainly am for catching goat humping **** heads....sounds like a few of you are sympathizers.

sent from my DEA work phone

Last edited:

Sig220

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bridge City,TX
    If I remember correctly, it was the fault of the FBI who told the county to reset the cloud password which brought on the request to Apple, as it was a simple task to bypass the original password.

So now they INSIST that Apple help them, to hell with security for all of the law abiding owners of the Iphone. This dead terrorist and his dead terrorist wife had already destroyed personal phones and hard drives, you think if there was any strand of evidence left on a issued "county" phone?

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Here's the problem. The data on that phone was perfectly recoverable and accessible...UNTIL the county idiot tried to wipe it himself. Now why should Apple, who offered 4 perfectly valid and functional methods to breach the phone PRIOR to it being screwed with, have to write a version of iOS which is totally irrelevant to the case at hand? A new version of iOS CANNOT make the damaged data come back. It CANNOT be installed without knowing the original passcode. It CANNOT be a one-time pop-a-lock option. So why exactly does the government believe they should brute-force Apple to write the impossible? Because they want to do it to anyone and everything they lay their eyes upon.

We've already seen what will happen in a vacuum, Snowden busted that one for everyone to see.

iMessage is NOT encrypted point to point. It's not even encrypted locally. Even with a passcode set, the relevant data is still stored IN PLAINTEXT in the storage partition. The only thing the passcode/encryption does it prevent normal access via a data cable. If it was really serious and had to be found out, it would be far simpler to copy off the registers in each of the NVRAM modules and rebuild them. But nooooooo, we have to have a new tool and a new iOS so it can be done surreptitiously and broadly, without the target noticing.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    ***Yawn

This guy gets it

This thread is full of win!!

If you gentlemen think Uncle Sam isn't reading your posts, listening to your phone calls or data logging your emails, you're living in a fantasy world.

Certain key words will alert databases in agencies....

And besides, if you're not a terrorist or pedophile, who gives a **** if you're talking about fingering Mary Jane rotten crotch....no one else does.....I certainly am for catching goat humping **** heads....sounds like a few of you are sympathizers.

Aside from the obvious reasons for privacy Rights; the thought of a government employee jerking off to me and my wife's sexting session makes me ill.

And you say; "What the...?" And I say; "Exactly!" You said it yourself, they see it all!

We have the most porous border between a modern country and a near third world country in the entire world and you want me to believe that the way to stop attacks against this country is by hacking someone's I-phone after the fact?

I would say the "win" in this thread, is in your belief that these thug politicians hell bent on political retribution and petty party politics will do what is right for the US citizenry in the face of their selfish pursuits of power. ;)

The last 14 years in the US have seen the most dismantling of individual privacy Rights since WWII. Maybe the genie is out of the bottle, but they don't need to shove the bottle up my ass too!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

Ronin_Jedi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    US
    I personally believe this all to be a marketing ploy on Apple's part. It's well documented that Apple has allowed access to devices when asked. And I think in China the local laws demand it.

With the new iPhone being released March 15 (the 7 in the body of a 5), I think it's all a way to protect the brand and the stock prices.
    notasheeple,

Being one who has lived in China, I can assure you that there is a major difference between China and the US in respect to the Apple-FBI issue: Chinese have no right to privacy. They never have, don't and, IMHO, never will.

As a foreign investor in China, Apple has to agree to both its laws and culture, or not enter their market. Apple is NOT a foreign investor contemplating moving into the US market; it is a 'native son/daughter', entitled to the same rights and privileges and laws enjoyed by all other native companies here.

If the FBI or any other branch of our government wants Apple's assistance, they can ask. But the government has no right to demand it of Apple and Apple has the right to reject it if it means future harm to the company.

And as others have clearly stated, many for better than I can, forcing Apple to create a key or worse, a backdoor, is a very bad idea. It will foster greater spamming and hacking incidents resulting in the theft of everyone's identity and personal information, and will drastically impact sales of IT products from our companies all around the world. If it were to happen, start selling you IT holdings.

Turn the dang phone over to the NSA; that's what they're here for.

YVMV

ETA: correction to wording.

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    notasheeple,

Being one who has lived in China, I can assure you that there is a major difference between China and the US in respect to the Apple-FBI issue: Chinese have no right to privacy. They never have, don't and, IMHO, never will.

As a foreign investor in China, Apple has to agree to both its laws and culture, or not enter their market. Apple is NOT a foreign investor contemplating moving into the US market; it is a 'native son/daughter', entitled to the same rights and privileges and laws enjoyed by all other native companies here.

If the FBI or any other branch of our government wants Apple's assistance, they can ask. But the government has no right to demand it of Apple and Apple has the right to reject it if it means future harm to the company.

And as others have clearly stated, many for better than I can, forcing Apple to create a key or worse, a backdoor, is a very bad idea. It will foster greater spamming and hacking incidents resulting in the theft of everyone's identity and personal information, and will drastically impact sales of IT products from our companies all around the world. If it were to happen, start selling you IT holdings.

Turn the dang phone over to the NSA; that's what they're here for.

YVMV

You bring up an interesting point that I forgot to consider. Consumer confidence erosion. I know I will not buy ANY wi-fi devices if this government forces these backdoors on private companies! In fact, I think consumers should be told when a device is made with such a vulnerability! Not talking about the normal pitfalls from the internet; that is the wild west! I'm talking specifically about companies, like those scumbags at Lenovo that added that software that allowed them to collect data without the consumer knowing about it!

That being stated, I am waiting for a Bill to pop up in Congress that does just that. If these retards try to push that, and succeed; it truly is over!

Slipknot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2016
    Tom Bean, Texas/Hammond, LA
    There are some very valid points in here, albeit quite a bit of paranoia too.

My first instinct is that Apple needs to assist the FBI, the more of these **** heads we can round up the better, especially if they're here among us.

Don't you guys wanna know wtf is on that phone?

Don't you wanna know if the hadji that runs the beer store you shop out, you know the one, he's got those hideous LED lights around all the windows to let other Muzzy's know he's one of them too.

I'm curious AF to know....and maybe it's just that, curiosity and patriotic duty....

Couldn't Apple help out the FBI then make another newer IPHONE that is better and more tamper proof?

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA

My first instinct is that Apple needs to assist the FBI, the more of these **** heads we can round up the better, especially if they're here among us.

Don't you wanna know if the hadji that runs the beer store you shop out, you know the one, he's got those hideous LED lights around all the windows to let other Muzzy's know he's one of them too.

I'm curious AF to know....and maybe it's just that, curiosity and patriotic duty....

Couldn't Apple help out the FBI then make another newer IPHONE that is better and more tamper proof?

What makes you think that Apple hasn't been helping the FBI?
    Apple has been assisting the FBI.

http://www.apple.com/customer-letter/answers/
    As the government has confirmed, we’ve handed over all the data we have, including a backup of the iPhone in question. But now they have asked us for information we simply do not have.

sliguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    louisiana

Paranoia? Now why ever would people who want to be free be paranoid about a gov't agency who's history is riddled with corruption and underhandedness? Let's not be naïve here.

regarding the data on that phone...

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...iphone-this-is-entirely-about-precedent.shtml

https://medium.com/@thegrugq/feeble-noise-pollution-627acb5931a2#.7x7721q43

Apple IS making newer phones with better encryption, however, this does nothing to safeguard the millions who have the models that precede it.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    As you all could expect, I have come up with a solution that should work for everyone.

Apple makes the backdoor for only the free phones that GW & the Dumbass have so generously donated to the down trodden at our expense! After all, a phone and an internet connection are considered necessities in this age of free ****. However, Apple does as Slipknot suggests, and makes the newer versions equipped with impenetrable encryption for those who actually pay for their own phones.

Apple wins because they continue to dominate the electronics market and the FBI backs off of their lawsuit.
    I win with my privacy, since I pay for my freedom through having to work for a living, taxes, insurance premiums, not breaking the law, and the like anyway.
    The down trodden win, because they get to keep the free **** phones and probably don't care if the government can access their phones since the didn't pay for them anyway.
    And the FBI wins, because the free **** phones belong to the majority of the people that commit crimes in the US anyway.

It's genius! You guys can thank me later! ;)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom