Bolt gun with detachable magazines

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Looking for bolt guns with detachable magazines. Something tactical heavy bbl .308 cal.

What would you go with and why?

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    Badger m2008 action in an AICS chasis or McMillan A5 with Badger bottom metal.

Pick your choice on barrel. Surgeon 591 action would be awesome too.

Either setup would give you the option of 5 or 10 round Accuracy International mags.

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    Look hard at Savage, They have a detachable box magazine "tactical" style rifle.
    The last issue of Shotgun News has an article on them.
    They are an excellent value for the $$.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    http://www.savagearms.com/10fpxp-hsprec.htm

Not sure but looks good. I need to add up the prices of putting it together myself. And I did wanna keep it around $3000.00 so might be the one.

Also would like to know what yall think about a detachable magazine on a bolt gun?

The one you linked has a internal mag.

This one has detatchable
    http://www.savagearms.com/10fpmcmillan.htm

Why do you want a detatchable mag / What do you want the rifle for?

I like the concept. The price us up there for the most part on detatchable mags.

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    Is pgw better than gap?

By many people's standards. They far exceed the deployment missions of the AI Artic Warfare. You don't see many because they are busy and hard to import.

A Gap doesn't mean much any more unless it's got Georges mark on it. Not trying to down any of his gunsmith's but none of them are any better than APA, La Precision, or any of the other highly competent smiths.

Paul Gomez

www.Gomez-Training.com
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Baton Rouge, More or Less
    By many people's standards. They far exceed the deployment missions of the AI Artic Warfare. You don't see many because they are busy and hard to import.

Are you saying that you don't see many AI because they are 'busy & hard to import'? If so, you don't know where to look. I worked intimately with Tac Pro Shooting Center and Accuracy International for quite awhile. AI can be a flaky company to deal with but the guns are availabe.

A Gap doesn't mean much any more unless it's got Georges mark on it. Not trying to down any of his gunsmith's but none of them are any better than APA, La Precision, or any of the other highly competent smiths.

George does good work, but so does Preston [Surgeon] and David Rooney [Tactical Rifles] among many others.

If you are interested in running a Remington 700 platform, then the AICS is great way to go. It is literally a drop-in stock that isolates the action, free floats the barrel and gives you detachable box mag capability in 5 & 10 capacities.

If you want the best turn-key solution [and, in my opinion, better than building a custom 700], take a look at the AI AE, particularly the AE MK II. It's not an AW, but you can get any of the AW options except a butt spike, and it'll cost several grand less than an AW. The original AE fed off of a single column 5 rd mag. The MK II feeds of the AICS 5 & 10rd mags [same mags that the Badger Bottom Metal and most of the other Remington 700 mag feed conversions run off of].

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Are you saying that you don't see many AI because they are 'busy & hard to import'? If so, you don't know where to look. I worked intimately with Tac Pro Shooting Center and Accuracy International for quite awhile. AI can be a flaky company to deal with but the guns are availabe.

George does good work, but so does Preston [Surgeon] and David Rooney [Tactical Rifles] among many others.

If you are interested in running a Remington 700 platform, then the AICS is great way to go. It is literally a drop-in stock that isolates the action, free floats the barrel and gives you detachable box mag capability in 5 & 10 capacities.

If you want the best turn-key solution [and, in my opinion, better than building a custom 700], take a look at the AI AE, particularly the AE MK II. It's not an AW, but you can get any of the AW options except a butt spike, and it'll cost several grand less than an AW. The original AE fed off of a single column 5 rd mag. The MK II feeds of the AICS 5 & 10rd mags [same mags that the Badger Bottom Metal and most of the other Remington 700 mag feed conversions run off of].

I thought the AI 10 round mags had problems?

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston

You read the post out of context. We were talking about the PGW Coyote. They take forever to get imported from Canada. I own AIAW rifles and AICS chasis systems with custom actions in them.

I recently posted pictures of my 338 Lapua on the forum. I'm a rifle whore. And a pistol novice. :rofl:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom