Bolt gun with detachable magazines

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Paul, whats your opinion on the sako trg series?? I read an article a few years back where they compared them side to side with AI's and while it was close, the sako won out due to ergonomics and action smoothness.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Paul, whats your opinion on the sako trg series?? I read an article a few years back where they compared them side to side with AI's and while it was close, the sako won out due to ergonomics and action smoothness.

I also hope Paul will chime in. I just gave the gun a good look over and it fits the bill for what I am looking for.

But check out the price of the mags:eek3::

SK5740384 TRG-22 10RD. MAGAZINE .308 WIN $314.95
    SK5740387 TRG-42 7RD. MAGAZINE .300 MAG $314.95
    SK5740385 TRG-42 5RD. MAGAZINE .338 LAPUA $314.95

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    If you're budget is around $3K, you MUST check out Tac-Ops. You can't beat their work. In particular, the X-Ray series. http://www.tacticaloperations.com/ These rifles come from Tac-Ops shooting phenomenal groups.

They take a bit different approach than many other builders. Same goal just "better" methods. "better" by their standards. Every step is designed around concentricity from the beginning.

I think (IIRC) they guarantee 1/4MOA or better. Also claim their rifles shoot that well longer (# of shots). I think they are the ones that don't lap lugs because they feel it is a random process as opposed to the precision grinding they do.

Hard to argue with their results.

There are some guys here in LA that have a good rep also.

Paul Gomez

www.Gomez-Training.com
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Baton Rouge, More or Less
    You read the post out of context. We were talking about the PGW Coyote. They take forever to get imported from Canada.

Ah, that's why I asked. I didn't realize the PGW's were imported. I thought they were in the US. Thanks for clarifying.

Akajun/BigTat,

I've only dealt with a couple of Sako TRGs. As noted, mag prices make AI look cheap. As I recall, the scope mounting interface was unique to Sako, ie not STANAG & not MILSTD 1913 which greatly limits your options, but it looks like they may have changed that on the newer guns.

I'm a big fan of the AI AE guns because of the value for money invested when compared to the high end production guns [including the AI AW] and the custom guns.

I have never really cared for the Remington 700 platform. The reason so many guns are built on the 700 is because it is the most commonly available action in this country and so many guys have grown up shooting and working on them.

The AE will shoot as well as an AW and is a much stronger system than the 700.

chad8924

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    gonzales
    i was looking for the same thing about a month ago..the only one i found that had what i wanted was the TIKKA T3 TAC. in 308win, thats the one i ended up getting ,but very happy with it,,its has a tac.20in heavy bbl.ajustable check rest.detachable 5rd,box mag,treaded barrle,all parkerized,with teflon coated bolt,but kindof priceybut every body i talked to said its well worth it,,

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I have been reading a lot on long range shooting and talked to a couple people. I think I will take a look at the Savage and a couple others hell a may even just get a .556 or .22lr to start with. One thing I picked up on is I got a lot to learn. So all in all I dont think a 3000.00-4000.00 dollar gun is going to do me any good right now.

How well do the bolt guns with floorplates hold up does the spring have to be changed a lot?

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I have been reading a lot on long range shooting and talked to a couple people. I think I will take a look at the Savage and a couple others hell a may even just get a .556 or .22lr to start with. One thing I picked up on is I got a lot to learn. So all in all I dont think a 3000.00-4000.00 dollar gun is going to do me any good right now.

How well do the bolt guns with floorplates hold up does the spring have to be changed a lot?

I didn't know what your experience was. You seem to be pratical and realistic. I wouldn't spend the 3-4K either without more experience.

A .22LR is & centerfire bolt gun is about the best thing you could do. I did shoot a .223 bolt gun a while back and it was awesome. It had better optics than what I was used to. You can get a basic rifle with good optics and some handloading equipment and be in really good shape. Your going to need some other things like a good cleaning rod/bore guide, case, range gear and such. So keep that in mind budget wise.

Floor plate spring should last a looong time on a bolt gun.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I didn't know what your experience was. You seem to be pratical and realistic. I wouldn't spend the 3-4K either without more experience.

A .22LR is & centerfire bolt gun is about the best thing you could do. I did shoot a .223 bolt gun a while back and it was awesome. It had better optics than what I was used to. You can get a basic rifle with good optics and some handloading equipment and be in really good shape. Your going to need some other things like a good cleaning rod/bore guide, case, range gear and such. So keep that in mind budget wise.

Floor plate spring should last a looong time on a bolt gun.

Yea its all new to me and I love good stuff but I think getting the gear good optics and a heavy bbl bolt gun will teach me a lot more than just having a $3000.00 gun with $300.00 glass.

I am thinking once I get started and learn more my starter gun will be a good one to pass down to my son;).

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    For range use is it safe to say:
    .22LR would be good for 100yards?
    .223 would be good for 200 yards?

I have read that people hit plates and whatnot at 600yards with .223 but I am asking the above for getting good groups.

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    For range use is it safe to say:
    .22LR would be good for 100yards?
    .223 would be good for 200 yards?

I have read that people hit plates and whatnot at 600yards with .223 but I am asking the above for getting good groups.

Honestly you can shoot a 22LR out to 200 yards. It is extremely challenging and simulates the winds at a much father distance with a centerfire rifle. If you are on a budget the CZ 452 American is one of the most accurate 22LR rifles out of the box for less than 500.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    There was a quote I saw once.
    "In America you put $150 scopes on $1500 rifles. In Europe we put $1500 scopes on $150 rifles."

On a .22LR your would be good 0-100 & more. Good not Great. Ammo inconsistency start showing even at 75. In the begining the better thing to do is keep you range short and get good results then increase range. 25 then 50 then add some more.

The .223 bolt gun I shot was @ 600. My first sighter shot was in 9 ring. It was not my rifle and the first shot I took with it ever. I decide not to change anything and see how consistent I would be. The next shot was 3/4" or less away from the 1st. My shooting buddy was pulling the target and told me after the pit change. I was thrilled by that in itself. Granted it was not an of the shelf rifle from Academy or Cabelas.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Ultimately, you need to ask yourself what your final goal is. Do you want a nice bolt gun with DBM set up that shoots tiny groups or do you want to learn how to shoot long range? Both goals can be accomplished at the same time, but may or may not be related depending on your pocketbook and intentions. Learn the fundamentals of marksmanship, practice those with a caliber that won't induce a flinch, and then you can start to progress those skills onto any other shooting platform that you wish. There are a lot of great guns out there, but unless you can drive them, you probably won't be able to tell a difference from the off-the-shelf Academy special bolt actions anyway.

There are a bunch of us who are still learning and developing those skills and anytime you want to come out and join us you're more than welcome!

Regarding the rifle/optics......I'd MUCH rather be shooting a $500 rifle with a $2500 scope than the other way around!!

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Ultimately, you need to ask yourself what your final goal is. Do you want a nice bolt gun with DBM set up that shoots tiny groups or do you want to learn how to shoot long range? Both goals can be accomplished at the same time, but may or may not be related depending on your pocketbook and intentions. Learn the fundamentals of marksmanship, practice those with a caliber that won't induce a flinch, and then you can start to progress those skills onto any other shooting platform that you wish. There are a lot of great guns out there, but unless you can drive them, you probably won't be able to tell a difference from the off-the-shelf Academy special bolt actions anyway.

There are a bunch of us who are still learning and developing those skills and anytime you want to come out and join us you're more than welcome!

Regarding the rifle/optics......I'd MUCH rather be shooting a $500 rifle with a $2500 scope than the other way around!!

What range yall shoot at the most?

Well thats my thinking I would rather spend my 4000.00 like 3000.00 glass and 1000.00 gun. But may just do 1000.00gun 2000.00glass 1000.00gear give or take. In the end I wanna shoot long (1000yards) range with tight groups. But got a long way to go for that I need to spend lots of time shooting lots of rounds. I have a few places I can shoot out to 300yards without even going to a range so I really think I might as well start with the .223 and then upgrade to .308 and start reloading latter down the line.
    A stock gun with good glass will get me wanting to go out to the range and I am sure I will pick up on a few things and lern more about bolt guns and then decide what I want for a high end gun. If its like handguns and ARs I will end up with more than one anyway lol.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom