Buffer Zone Suggestion Thread ** Official

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    It's the one just past the pond, on the right.

NOT next to the cemetery.
    NOT under the power lines.

When you go, PLEASE take at least one bag of trash with you when you leave.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    First time out there in a coupla months. No one else there (abt 6:30-7:30). No passersby. I was expecting the worst, but the place was surprisingly tidy, relatively speaking. I guess most folks are protecting our shooting privileges by cleaning up after themselves. :kiss: Thanks.

Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville
    went down to the original BZ pit location next to the radio tower off 607.

there was yellow tape up but shot there anyway.

someone really cleaned up the place and bulldozed the hell out of it. the path down there is smoothed and widened out, there's piles of dirt that appears to be a backstop, and what seems to be a firing lane that has been bulldozed all the way down about 150+ yards

Last edited:

chuckH48

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Mississippi
    Hey fellas my Name is Chuck and I work for the Hancock County Sheriffs Department with Sgt. Borja. I work in the Buffer Zone and will try and clear a few things up. First off, it's LEGAL to bring firearms to Mississippi from La. in order to shoot. Just don't have any long guns loaded inside your vehicle. PIC 2 is the only location on the map that is OK to shoot. PIC 3 at the cemetery is NOT OK to shoot. PIC 1 is NOT OK to shoot. The bad news is the area that floods and now has the tape across it is no longer open to the public. Mississippi Wildlife and Fisheries is clearing that land off and building a range for the Sheriffs Department. We will be giving warnings to people if caught shooting there first time, the second time we will issue a tresapassing citation and after that an arrest will be made. State Law in Mississippi states that properties DO NOT have to marked Posted or No Trespassing for it to be Trespassing. We try and be courteous and give people the benefit of the doubt for first offenses. We're not trying to be assholes and most of us enjoy shooting as much as you guys do. Our main gripe is the people who do not shoot safely and leave trash. If you're out there and see people being unsafe, drunk, littering please call 228-466-6900 and report it. As long as you stay in the designated area you won't have any problems. I will post any new information I get regarding any changes. Post any questions you have and I will answer or find out the answer. Happy shooting.

chuckH48

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Mississippi
    It's closed for good. The State is going to sign it over to the Sheriff's Office. It's not gonna be open to the public for now. So the lone area left open to shoot in the BZ is PIC 2 on the map. All other areas are closed and off limits.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Hey fellas my Name is Chuck and I work for the Hancock County Sheriffs Department with Sgt. Borja. I work in the Buffer Zone and will try and clear a few things up. First off, it's LEGAL to bring firearms to Mississippi from La. in order to shoot. Just don't have any long guns loaded inside your vehicle. PIC 2 is the only location on the map that is OK to shoot. PIC 3 at the cemetery is NOT OK to shoot. PIC 1 is NOT OK to shoot. The bad news is the area that floods and now has the tape across it is no longer open to the public. Mississippi Wildlife and Fisheries is clearing that land off and building a range for the Sheriffs Department. We will be giving warnings to people if caught shooting there first time, the second time we will issue a tresapassing citation and after that an arrest will be made. State Law in Mississippi states that properties DO NOT have to marked Posted or No Trespassing for it to be Trespassing. We try and be courteous and give people the benefit of the doubt for first offenses. We're not trying to be assholes and most of us enjoy shooting as much as you guys do. Our main gripe is the people who do not shoot safely and leave trash. If you're out there and see people being unsafe, drunk, littering please call 228-466-6900 and report it. As long as you stay in the designated area you won't have any problems. I will post any new information I get regarding any changes. Post any questions you have and I will answer or find out the answer. Happy shooting.

Very nice to finally have some *actual* answers on this stuff. I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say we appreciate you taking the time to clarify everything.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Hey fellas my Name is Chuck and I work for the Hancock County Sheriffs Department with Sgt. Borja................ Happy shooting.

First, welcome to Bayoushooters. Glad to have you aboard. There's a load of topnotch folks here, and good information. I believe you will enjoy yourself.

Thank you for clearing that up. Many of us have really enjoyed Hancock County's hospitality and try to maintain our welcome by being good guests and good citizens.

chuckH48

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Mississippi
    I don't get out to shoot as much as I use. The BZ use to have places to shoot all over but they have all been shut down. At least we can enjoy the last site in Logtown. Be safe and good shooting.

fr3nchy524

resident asian shooter!
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    new orleans
    Went out there today to what is labeled zone 3 the spot down from the point cemetery. And had no issues! Shot from 1030am till 100pm! Fun day with my buddy! We shot my weatherby vanguard .308 and his smith and wesson ar15! We cleaned up and picked up all our messes!

I actually brought a few boxes of different sizes and taped our targets to them and lined them up at different distances to shoot at! My smallest box was set at around 56 yards, medium size box at 70 yards and my big box set on the dirt mound at 115 yards. All this was calibrated with the iphone app MIL-DOT BALLISTICS. Overall a productive day with no one driving by or any problems!

Can't wait to go again!

Last edited:

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Thanks Chuck H48. I'm bringing up an image from a couple pages back to try to clarify what you're telling us. I do this, because I went back five pages, and I didn't see the pics you're talking about.

i4711_Bz.jpg

Are you saying that pit#3 is OK, but the rest are off-limits? I was at pit#3 yesterday and got off a few hundred rounds at orange clays, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. First time in almost a year. God! It was glorious. The thing is it was now full of garbage just like the old pit. It took what - a year for the butt-heads to trash the place? Sometimes I'm disgusted with the human race.

Jed

Bloody Foreigner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Clearwater Beach, FL
    Went out there today to what is labeled zone 3 the spot down from the point cemetery. And had no issues! Shot from 1030am till 100pm! Fun day with my buddy! We shot my weatherby vanguard .308 and his smith and wesson ar15! We cleaned up and picked up all our messes!

Thanks Chuck H48. I'm bringing up an image from a couple pages back to try to clarify what you're telling us. I do this, because I went back five pages, and I didn't see the pics you're talking about.
    Are you saying that pit#3 is OK, but the rest are off-limits? I was at pit#3 yesterday and got off a few hundred rounds at orange clays, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. First time in almost a year. God! It was glorious. The thing is it was now full of garbage just like the old pit. It took what - a year for the butt-heads to trash the place? Sometimes I'm disgusted with the human race.

It's closed for good. The State is going to sign it over to the Sheriff's Office. It's not gonna be open to the public for now. So the lone area left open to shoot in the BZ is PIC 2 on the map. All other areas are closed and off limits.

....so for those here who display their obvious lack of reading/comprehension/basic understanding of the English language.
    I think what the kind Sergeant is saying is. So the lone area left open to shoot in the BZ is PIC 2 on the map. All other areas are closed and off limits

Top Bottom