Camo Choice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    ^This. I have always wondered about the old guys up in Wisconsin that come back with all the deer year after year. They have been wearing Carhartt farm coats, red flannel shirts, overalls and pack boots for hunting since they youngsters before the camo craze. Not what you would consider blending in during white out snow conditions to say the least.

Pet deer from up north (that never look up; or don't have a clue what a human is), are no match for southern deer. I hunted northern deer; those hunters could wear disco lights and still kill those deer. :p

That's why all those hunting shows on outdoor channel are always filmed in the Midwest. Try putting a cameraman in a tree with you (in an additional stand), and show us the video of you killing a B&C buck down here. NOT!

Last edited:

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Pet deer from up north (that never look up; or don't have a clue what a human is), are no match for southern deer. I hunted northern deer; those hunters could wear disco lights and still kill those deer. :p

That's why all those hunting shows on outdoor channel are always filmed in the Midwest. Try putting a cameraman in a tree with you (in an additional stand), and show us the video of you killing a B&C buck down here. NOT!

One reason why I stopped watching all those hunting shows! We don't have very big deer down here but, DAMN are they smart! Every deer I take is HARD WON!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    One reason why I stopped watching all those hunting shows! We don't have very big deer down here but, DAMN are they smart! Every deer I take is HARD WON!

Not entirely true. We do have some monsters here, but they are almost entirely on private lands and are well managed. The average Louisiana deer hunter refuses to accept the fact that to grow a giant buck you have to let him go when he is young. And unless you have at least 1000 contiguous acres; you can't achieve that.

Now of course you need the genetics, but that is here too. The top 5 bucks in Louisiana are all over 171.

Lesson to Louisianans; "If you want them to grow, you have to let them go!"

luv1979

Genesis 27:3
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    I have a mixture of RealTree AP and Mossy Oak Break Up. I have never been too concerned with matching my patterns as much as making sure my camo keeps me warm. Under Armor seems to be all the rage in hunting clothing but I am partial to Columbia PHG stuff. It's really warm, sometimes too warm on the warmer LA days.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    7v8o3jl6n1gmfjn5zv5a.jpg

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    Whatever keeps you warm. Any camo that helps hide your "shape" will work, deer really do not seem care how fashionable you are if they do not recognize a human shape. Covering your face to mask it's shape is kinda a biggie as that is usually the only thing visible from a blind.

MikeP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    I've hunted for 55 years now with military olive drab of one sort or another. Since 1968 it's been in the form of a Namwar-style four-pocket shirt and cargo-pocket pants. Lots of deer and squirrel didn't see it coming.

I do usually color my beard during hunting season with another color, though. I hate to attract attention at Walmart.

Last edited:

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Not entirely true. We do have some monsters here, but they are almost entirely on private lands and are well managed. The average Louisiana deer hunter refuses to accept the fact that to grow a giant buck you have to let him go when he is young. And unless you have at least 1000 contiguous acres; you can't achieve that.

Now of course you need the genetics, but that is here too. The top 5 bucks in Louisiana are all over 171.

Lesson to Louisianans; "If you want them to grow, you have to let them go!"

Father in law has killed all of his monsters on public land, namely Dewey Wills and Tensas has some ridiculous bucks too. It's all about patterning them and finding sign.

Public land ftw.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    This......

Alright, back to hunting in Louisiana for the first time since I was 12. Any opinions of camo choice? I was using the Mossy Oak BI in NC. A few of my buddies down here say they like the Realtree Xtra for down here.

So, let me here some of your opinions...

Mossy Oak BI
    Realtree Xtra
    or
    Other

Guess it would be other?

Whatever; type she's wearing is my choice:}

bkhcogu1uoaenlcrch9y.jpg

Ske1etor

BOOM! LEGSHOT!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Chacahoula, Louisiana
    I second ASAT. That's what I'll be using this year.

I'll third ASAT (Specifically the 3D Leafy Suit). Have you ever had a squirrel climb up your leg and across your torso while you're sitting in a climber 18 feet off the ground? Have you ever, while sitting in said climber on a different hunt, had a barn owl attempt to snatch your eyeballs from your head and only changed it's mind once you started waving your arms like a second class passenger from the titanic attempting to signal a lifeboat? Ok, that second one might have not been all that fun and I may or may not have peed a little but it was cool after... way after.

I originally bought it for early season bow hunting as it's a mesh material covered in the 3D fabric so I could hunt in shorts and a tshirt and not be eaten alive by the flying vampire dobermans down in Terrebonne Parish. I have since started wearing it for just about every hunt where I am not sitting in a blind or enclosed stand.

I think that they (ASAT) still offer their refund policy (If you wear it exclusively for one year and don't see more game than ever before, they'll buy it back). Sorry if this sounded like a commercial, I'm not sponsered by them or anything, paid for my own gear, just a very happy customer.

Top Bottom