Carrying without permit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saw

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    New Orleans
    Deleted my smart remark congratulating Perez1972 on the “extension of your home” call out. :rofl:

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My post is a little confusing on time lines. The period when the anti gun police chief that was brought in from ohio took the NAACP s side was around 80 or early 80s . I don't remember if Terry was still sheriff of Caddo or if Hathaway was in . Paul Carmouch was DA and Vol Dooley was bossier parish sheriff . It was during the reconstruction phase of the S'port police department right after D'Aritois and his corrupt bunch were ousted . A lot of people don't know that as Rudy Giuliani was fighting the mob in NY the "dixie mafia " was being brought down from Florida to S' Port and police corruption was front page news for some time .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

I'm not concerned with the timeline. I'm wondering who said your car was an extension of your home? You replied to my question so I thought the answer was in your reply.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    I'm not concerned with the timeline. I'm wondering who said your car was an extension of your home? You replied to my question so I thought the answer was in your reply.
    Post 53 I said it was claimed to be not that it was . Others before that indicated it was an extension of your home . I do remember the hype about it being an extension of your home back then and politicians and news people repeated it often . That doesn't make it so . Even back then I said " not if you are driving your extension on public roads " . It was repeated so many times people actually believed the law stated that it was. Kinda like people believe AR type guns are assult weapons because they have heard it so many times . The reason I remember it so well is a buddy of mine who had never been out of Mo.( Which at the time was not pro gun ); came down to fish Caddo lake with me and I think it was KWKH or KRMD news come on and they announced governor mike had just signed the shoot the carjacker act which extended the shoot the burglar law to include your vehicles. He was in total shock that we could actually shoot bad guys in our house . ( Amazing how things change ,now Mo. is one of the most gun friendly states . ) Even though it was separate those saying it extended the shoot the burglar law may have ininvertenitly started the whole extension of your home thing.

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I was in Denham Springs Tuesday and I was open carrying because I had just come from shooting. I went into the little shopping center across from Bass Pro and started to walk out of the store when I noticed 5 police officers enter the store and head straight toward me. They told me that someone had called and reported that a man with a gun was acting strangely and they thought that I might be drunk or on drugs, but I don't drink or use drugs that aren't prescribed to me, so I think whoever called just had a problem with the gun. One of the officers asked for my ID, looked at my holstered weapon and the magazine and flashlight holder and told me to enjoy my day. He did ask if I had a concealed carry permit and I told him no, that I was waiting to see if the legislature chickens out or not before I go through the cost and process. He said "OK, you're all set" and let me go.
    I'm guessing someone had a problem with the fact that I'm legally allowed to carry a firearm in the open and felt like hassling me for a bit. People better get used to seeing firearms because they aren't going anywhere.

Denham Springs Police Chief Shannon Womack has been informing the Officers in that department about OC & CC laws and rules for years before he became Chief.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Thanks for the compliment I guess. My point is the officers could have handled him in a way that violated his right to carry a firearm in the open. A lot of officers don’t do this intentionally, it’s 100% because they do not understand. My *some cops* comment is referring to almost every post ozark makes he is referencing *some cops*, I thought it might add some humor but guess not. I’ll head out of this thread and leave y’all to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I was just busting your balls man don’t be a pudding about it now.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Denham Springs Police Chief Shannon Womack has been informing the Officers in that department about OC & CC laws and rules for years before he became Chief.

Chief Womack is a jam up guy. Glad to know he’s on top of it for a while now. We had a class on it a few years ago but that was the only time.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I don't see where the law explicitly states that. In fat, it seems to suggest the opposite. Section C provides for a felony after the first conviction but doesn't mention that it applies to only B2, suggesting it applies to all of Section B, which includes if the only base offense is carrying in violation of the statute alone.

B.(1) Whoever commits the crime of illegal carrying of weapons shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars, or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.

(2) Whoever commits the crime of illegal carrying of weapons with any firearm used in the commission of a crime of violence as defined in R.S. 14:2(B), shall be fined not more than two thousand dollars, or imprisoned, with or without hard labor, for not less than one year nor more than two years, or both. Any sentence issued pursuant to the provisions of this Paragraph and any sentence issued pursuant to a violation of a crime of violence as defined in R.S. 14:2(B) shall be served consecutively.

C. On a second conviction, the offender shall be imprisoned with or without hard labor for not more than five years.

D. On third and subsequent convictions, the offender shall be imprisoned with or without hard labor for not more than ten years without benefit of parole, probation, or suspension of sentence.

E. If the offender uses, possesses, or has under his immediate control any firearm, or other instrumentality customarily used or intended for probable use as a dangerous weapon, while committing or attempting to commit a crime of violence or while unlawfully in the possession of a controlled dangerous substance except the possession of fourteen grams or less of marijuana, or during the unlawful sale or distribution of a controlled dangerous substance, the offender shall be fined not more than ten thousand dollars and imprisoned at hard labor for not less than five nor more than ten years without the benefit of probation, parole, or suspension of sentence. Upon a second or subsequent conviction, the offender shall be imprisoned at hard labor for not less than twenty years nor more than thirty years without the benefit of probation, parole, or suspension of sentence.

Whoops! I totally gaffed my Letters/Numbers and was lumping all the increasing penalties under that (2) reference to violent crime, not the C following the B. My bad!

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Whoops! I totally gaffed my Letters/Numbers and was lumping all the increasing penalties under that (2) reference to violent crime, not the C following the B. My bad!

I tried to tell you

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I tried to tell you

Hey, I've been away a few days, but I owned up when I saw it. Cut me some slack!

Possibly spending too much of a slow night shift 10-25 with friends.

10-25 is Check for Stolen for us, so you'll have to elaborate for me. I'm assuming you mean hanging too long around the water cooler or some such.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Hey, I've been away a few days, but I owned up when I saw it. Cut me some slack!

10-25 is Check for Stolen for us, so you'll have to elaborate for me. I'm assuming you mean hanging too long around the water cooler or some such.

Basically meeting with friends such as 2 units meeting to discuss things on a slow shift.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    WOW! There's a reference that I haven't heard in a long while! That guy used to have people stirred up almost as much as the phrase "extension of your home!"

MEM is still posting on either WAFB or WBRZ website pages. Same old anti LEO stuff

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    mmabone
    Top Bottom