Coffee

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hermit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2007
    Ascension
    0003570001875_500X500.jpg

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    I love Starbucks like Whitney loved crack! Doesn't matter how it's prepared I'll drink it.

Starbucks is the only coffee that I will drink with cream and sugar in. Without it I think it taste like ass, I generally opt for stale gas station coffee over Starbucks.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La

:hi5: I didn't know they made anything other than Community! Straight black is my fancy. It's nice too because the girls at work always make my coffee because they say its easy to make. Just pour and enjoy.

My brother did bring me back se coffee from his trip to Costa Rico that was amazing.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Community Cafe Special
    Black if I make it or if I get it from the Ace hardware store but if I get it from the Shell station I have to add a packet or two of sugar.

c10seven

just a guy
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Prairieville
    Usually community cafe special, drink it black. Wife bought New Oreans blend with chicory from the store the other day for a change up. I would like to try other brands though, I've had one called Q50 that I enjoyed. I'd also like o try blending it with butter and coconut oil, hear that's a tasty treat.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Current home coffee: Mellow Joy Medium or Community Medium

Best International Coffee Shop: A coffee shop off Nathan Road in Hong Kong, can't recall the name but could walk right to it from the hotel. Over 60 varieties of beans from around the world, brewed one cup or one pot at a time.

Best US Coffee Shop: Still working on that one, but found a coffee shop in a mall in Virginia Beach VA that is currently at the top, lots of bean selections.

Chai Tea as brewed in small shops in the middle East might just wean me off coffee and over to tea (possibly, but not probably)

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    I myself am a decaf drinker. Heart arrhythmia and all doesn't like caffeine. Anyway, dark roast is my preference, and the Fresh Market at Louisiana and St. Charles in N.O. Has some great seasonals. I tried drinking coffee black, but the aftertaste just killed me (sour for half the day).

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I'll take a good cup of French roast Blue Mountain coffee made in my vacuum pot. If you really want to be a coffee snob,you'll realize that 99% of drip makers don't get the water hot enough to extract the oils, hence a hell of a good cup.

The best temp for flavor extraction is 190-195°F the experts will tell you.

What vacuum pot do you use? I had a Bodum, which is no longer available.

If you think the oils don't add a lot to the flavor, go from using a paper filter to a vacuum pot or metal filter. It makes a difference. The paper filters absorb the oils which are a major component of flavors.

I think we like what we are used to. I don't like burnt roast coffee aka StarBucks, or FourBucks as my nephew calls them. The dark roast covers up bad beans.

Can't beat Highland Coffees in my book. My favorites tend to be a good one from Central America or Eastern Africa, Kenya and Ethiopia in particular.

I started getting my coffee from HC about when they opened twenty-something years ago. I had some favorites but often they wouldn't be on the shelf so I started buying other varietal beans and learned a lot about coffee. Clarke was more than helpful in educating me, too.

But it really boils down to what _YOU_ like. You pays your money and you makes your choice and I am not going to be critical of it.
    :ohreally:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    If you think the oils don't add a lot to the flavor, go from using a paper filter to a vacuum pot or metal filter. It makes a difference. The paper filters absorb the oils which are a major component of flavors.

Which also makes you have to dial back your current coffee to water ratio too right? I'm really asking b/c I used a metal filter pot at my mom's and the coffee came out way stronger and tastier than when using the traditional paper drip pots.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Which also makes you have to dial back your current coffee to water ratio too right? I'm really asking b/c I used a metal filter pot at my mom's and the coffee came out way stronger and tastier than when using the traditional paper drip pots.

To tell you the truth, it's been so long since I've used a paper coffee filter, I'm not real sure.

To me the oils enhance the flavors soluble in the water. I don't know that they make it "stronger." There is a definite effect. However, what you say may be true.

I use about 1,625ml of water and 70g of coffee. This is 55fl-oz water to 2.5oz coffee. You do the math.
    :eh:

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    I like my coffee like Skinney likes his women.

Strong and Black

+1 I like the way you think!

Here's what I wake up to in the mornings.

The taste of coffee I prefer is Starbucks Breakfast Blend Whole Bean ground fresh for every cup brewed in a Black and Decker One Cup Coffee Maker

And Shamiciaha is well U Know:} Breakfast candy:}...I like DAT me!

ytd4zre6ei09nlq51z2c.jpg
    yp0vq0c713vz75bht5i6.jpg

Last edited:

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I don't know if y'all have ever tried a stovetop Moka Pot... It creates a crema similar to espresso. The wife has been brewing with one lately and it's a nice change of pace for me on the weekends.

During the week, I drink whatever crap someone has brewed at the office. She's also digging on the Keurig lately, but every time I try it, it seems watery. We have a decent countertop espresso machine that's a fun to play with for cappuccino, but I consider it more of a toy than anything. Haven't gotten into the French Press yet, but people seem to love it.

Last edited:

cricht0n

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Zachary
    I prefer to use a french press. Bodum makes a small french press that is just about the perfect size for 2 cups. But regardless of how you like your coffee you are doing it an injustice by not grinding it yourself. if you don't believe that spices and coffee don't get old after only a few hours, grind some black peppercorns, then come back in about 3-4 hours and grind some more in a separate dish. You will notice a very distinct discoloration in the old pepper. Like I said all coffee begins to lose its essential oils after you grind it, it is just easier to see it with the pepper.

On a side note. My Great Grandfather used to boil his coffee in a percolator, then he would put an extra scoop in and percolate it again. You want to talk about stout..... we would get a cup of milk with a splash of coffee and it was still darker that a cafe au lait.

Top Bottom