Constitutional Carry Bill SB1 will be RS? (Now going to be the Law!)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Evil Zim

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Not a fan…. The CC permit requirements are not onerous and it offers some (albeit limited) protection from random boneheads carrying without a modicum of training or familiarity with the law.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I don't think it's that. I think it's a combination of the opioid epidemic, crackdowns and arrests, profiling, resulting distrust of law enforcement, preponderance of felons and a general association of guns with gangbangers. The opioid epidemic wasn't all that long ago, an extremely large percentage of the black community was involved in or directly affected by it. Lots of black people have personally dealt with law enforcement arrests and profiling resulting from it. Plenty have been in prison. Plenty have felonies. Something like 23% of black adults and 33% of black male adults are felons. It's long in the past at this point and most are no longer under any form of correctional supervision for 10+ years, they have families and pay their taxes and live normal lives. But there's no restoration of rights without a pardon and most of them don't want to draw that kind of attention, so there is no firearm ownership, real firearm community or positive association with firearms in general. One of my neighbors is a felon from that time, and hasn't had any interaction with law enforcement in 15+ years, but he can't own a firearm, he and his wife don't like firearms and any kind of law expanding gun rights wouldn't apply to him, so why would he support it?

Because the net effect is a safer community, which can positively affect them. If it doesn't apply to them, why would he not support it?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Not a fan…. The CC permit requirements are not onerous and it offers some (albeit limited) protection from random boneheads carrying without a modicum of training or familiarity with the law.

They are onerous. And the required training is laughable at best. In fact, I would say the required training can be worse that no training at all. Read up on the Dunning–Kruger effect.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    What are the new laws on this? For CCW we have an obligation to notify the officer we're carrying, so I'm assuming there is some provision in the bill that anyone conceal carrying without a license also has a duty to report? (haven't read it yet myself)
    Good question. I've had a CHP since they started in the 90's and I have to notify the LEO. I have no clue about the new law for the rest of the people.

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    I obtained my permit multiple times and I haven't hurt anyone nor myself. I had no training nor was I taught about laws.

I'm glad I didn't have to do extra mandatory training nor learn laws.

It was only last year I went take three separate classes with an instructor I found on this forum. That was simply amazing. For legal advice, I talk to an attorney. I'm glad I wasn't forced to do either. Their time isn't cheap nor is mine.

The requirements already in place before these new laws stopped a lot of people who wanted to carry legal not to. I was one of them for many years.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom