Cop sent back to training after confrontation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I think he showed remarkable restraint-- I wanna hit about six people in the crowd, plus the two subjects, plus the guy filming, and I'm far from a violent person by nature. Clearly, he could have been a lot more forceful with the girl in black and ended the "struggle" quickly. Seems like, as others have pointed out, he was trying not to appear too harsh on a female-- in this case, putting his own safety at risk.

I like the first officer that responds as back-up-- "Take all the pictures you want, but give us some room" (or something to that effect). He really seemed to diffuse the situation right away-- was it a supervisor, or just a more senior officer? I didn't look for stripes.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    That was a perfect opportunity for pepperspray or a Taser.

Yep.

I think the punch was a wee bit too early. :rolleyes:

She pushed him in the torso, he rocks her in the jaw. :mamoru: not sure if that's proper SOP.

i surely don't like people thinking they can touch Cops, but this seems a bit excessive. Too Much Too soon IMHO/.

Last edited:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Yep.

I think the punch was a wee bit too early. :rolleyes:

She pushed him in the torso, he rocks her in the jaw. :mamoru: not sure if that's proper SOP or not.

Your wrong. The punch was WAAAYYY too LATE.

he should have either taken her or the other one down hard from jump, or as soon as she started resisting, she got the pain. Either way, the punch, while appropriate, necessary, and authorized, looks bad.

I leg sweep, or taser would have "looked better". Either way, force was needed, but the perception of "punching a 17 year old little itty bitty baby girl in the face" is ugly.

That was one of the few times, especially with all the mob chanting in the back, to use pepper spray. he could have gotten both the main aggressors, and the residual would have kept all but the most determined away. Those that stayed earn a ride to jail.

Let me say this, after the first one started pulling away, she would have gotten tasered around here. if the second one even thought about jumping in and grabbing an officer from behind like that.....I feel sorry for her.

That kinda of **** just simply is not tolerated.

rooster

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    So we all agree this LEO needs more training. I know the situation was tough but he needed to handel it better. If I was a LEO I would never want to get in a tug of war or fist fight with someone. Thats why they have pepper spray and a taser, however not all LEO carry a taser. Some from the old school still just like a baton.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    One thing the video cannot give us is the "feel" of the situation.

And I hope that feel dictated this officer's actions (or inactions).

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Looks to me like the cop was justified but way too late. It almost looks like he's thinking that their reaction to him talking to them is too much, but he thinks he can calm them down.

As to the jaywalking, I'd love for this guy to come to the corner of Canal and Elk Place. He can punch as many of them as he wants - I'm tired of having to slam on the brakes for people crossing against the light or in the middle of the block.

lefty

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Hattiesburg, MS
    One thing the video cannot give us is the "feel" of the situation.

And I hope that feel dictated this officer's actions (or inactions).

i got the feel from the video that the cop was scared as ****, think he was more worried about the growing crowd of hostiles than getting the subject under control. hell i was scared for him after he punched her (fully justified imo) because people will do stupid **** in groups that large.

Lewgee

USMC VET OIF * *
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    St Charles
    Seattle PoPo

My aunt is very liberal and lives in Seattle, she said and I quote:

"I am white and I even know not to swing at a cop"

And let all you thug ass wannabe gangsters know...... if you jaywalk in Seattle you get your ass smacked...

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    i got the feel from the video that the cop was scared as ****, think he was more worried about the growing crowd of hostiles than getting the subject under control. hell i was scared for him after he punched her (fully justified imo) because people will do stupid **** in groups that large.

Yeah, I thought for sure the first time I watched it that they were going to right against him. That is a horrible situation for the LEO to be in.

In that situation, as soon as she started resisting, I would have radioed for backup, and he might have. We are very lucky in LA in that most places, some form of backup is no more than 3-4 minutes away. For me, it is literally seconds. probably 75% of the other departments in the country do not have that luxury.

Definitely though, when he put his hands on her intially, it should have been hard and quick.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    I'm sorry, but I have to agree with the officer in this situation. If a police officer wants to talk to you, talk and do what he/she says. If you insist on disrespect, well... you saw what happened.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    The girl in has been charged with 3rd-degree assault
    Girl who shoved cop is charged — and privately apologizes to officer

On a day she was charged with assaulting a police officer in a nationally publicized, videotaped jaywalking incident, the 17-year-old girl met privately Friday with the officer to apologize.

Angel L. Rosenthal met with Seattle Police Officer Ian P. Walsh at a North Seattle community center, in a meeting arranged by James Kelly, president and chief executive officer of the Urban League of Metropolitan Seattle.

"Ms. Rosenthal and Officer Walsh have been in every major media report in the country since their Monday confrontation," Kelly said Friday in a written statement that described the meeting.

"At my request, the two met ... just to see if we could calm down a growing volatile situation," Kelly said. "This is the first steps toward reconciliation and healing."

Kelly thanked Rosenthal for her apology and Walsh for accepting it.

King County prosecutors charged Rosenthal in Juvenile Court Friday with third-degree assault, stemming from her confrontation with Walsh Monday afternoon at the intersection of Martin Luther King Sr. Way South and Rainier Avenue South.

Walsh had attempted to stop a 19-year-old friend of Rosenthal's, Marilyn Ellen Levias, for jaywalking, when Rosenthal intervened.

In a clash caught on videotape, Rosenthal shoved Walsh, who responded by punching her in the face.

Prosecutors noted that after the punch, Walsh also took control of Rosenthal's arm to detain her.

In announcing the charging decision, King County Prosecutor Dan Satterberg issued a written statement, saying "the law is clear, you can't shove a police officer, period."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2012154761_rosenthal19m.html

:)

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I'm sorry, but I have to agree with the officer in this situation. If a police officer wants to talk to you, talk and do what he/she says. If you insist on disrespect, well... you saw what happened.

+10000

Like I said in the other thread. It was freaking jaywalking. He wasn't going to go off on her like she had ran a redlight, narrowly missing somebody's kid and took out a hydrant.

Shut up, say yes sir and you can go back to your day quickly as possible.

Otherwise chances are it's not going to be his day you ruin. It's going to be your own.

That's what I don't understand. WTF? What made it seem worth it?

Duck Jenkins

Lone Wolf
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    NO/LA Area
    The two girls were not right. However, that deputy, like most, needs more training on how to handle the situation. I have seen 1 NOPD take care of larger crowds by himself. MHO based on years of watching NOPD and much TV.

Top Bottom